Intermediate Off Road Ride

Womble

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was going to continue the pre-event thread, but it seems to have evaporated, so it's time for a new thread...

I want to say a really big thankyou to Skygod, Mr Ifan and MickDB1 for all their work with the novice/intermediate ride. After deliberating about whether to join Mr Ifan or Skygod, the rain decided it for us because it was all one run in the end (we started with 8 people altogether - 3 leaders and 5 guests)

The lanes were well researched and thought out, and it was obvious that the riding got more interesting as we 'proved' ourselves. This was definitely the bespoke service :thumb2

The first casualties of the day were a couple of chaps on 650GSs, one of whom had a puncture from a rusty nail. MickDB1 sprang into action with a comprehensive set of tools to plug the tyre and even had a compressor to hand. Unfortunately, the power adaptor was missing but that allowed me to reveal my stealth 12V socket and we were merrily pumping up the tyre when Mr Ifan rolled back and chipped in with the quote of the day - "That's a tubed tyre, isn't it". By that time it was clear that it wasn't going to be quickly sorted, so Mick and the guys went in search of a bike shop, armed with a can of tyreweld and a hand pump, and the ride continued.

Over the day, the riding progressed and became more challenging. We were joined by PaulXC at lunchtime once he had recovered from his key problems from that morning.

I normally ride a KTM pogo on the Suffolk trails, but on this occasion I had decided that it was high time I got back on the 1150GS and I was very pleasantly surprised. It isn't fast and it hasn't got the suspension travel, but it has a lot of poise and a deep reservoir of torque that allows it to plod effortlessly up tight hairpin bends and the like. I can honestly say that I had a supremely satisfying and relatively effortless day's riding. There were a few "moments" but Mr Ifan was kind enough to sort out me out when I was stuck on the precipice between dropping and recovering, without recording the incident. Later on, the bike did get a little tired and needed a bit of a lie down, mainly because I was catching up to Outtomunch on a downhill stretch leading to a stall and a drop, but it was nothing serious. A lower first gear would be good, but a bit more experience would probably sort that side of things, too.

Unfortunately, PaulXC's Weekend From Hades continued an hour after he joined us, when he suffered electrical problems. However it looks to be sorted now - maybe next time!

Packer's 1150 got a bit tired on a couple of occasions, too, and needed a brief rest, but major points have to go to Outtomunch who has hardly ridden on trails and yet had a great day out - if I'd been on a Husky 510 with that level of experience, I'd probably have beem spending the day stuck in hedges :blast

Guys, it was a total pleasure riding with all of you (and PDiddy the day before).

It was a really good days riding, great trails, proper weather and great company so I can only echo everything the TM has posted - yet again I learnt loads and my confidence grew as the trails got a wee bit more tricky :)

One trail really sticks in my mind and that was the steep wooded section down to the very shallow ford. I haven't a clue where it was but it was a really magical spot with a fun little hairpin ready to catch you out if you weren't concentrating :augie

It was also an eye opener seeing the GS's being so well ridden over the rough stuff, I was genuinley impressed with both the riders (Packer & and TM) and with just what the bikes could do :thumb2

Andres

One trail really sticks in my mind and that was the steep wooded section down to the very shallow ford. I haven't a clue where it was but it was a really magical spot with a fun little hairpin ready to catch you out if you weren't concentrating :augie

It's easiest to find from Over Haddon, the end where we finished. SK2066-01 on http://www.trailwise.org.uk

Glad everyone had fun, it my first full day out on the lanes since April. Great route put together by Skygod and just the right level of dificulty to keep it interesting:thumb2

It was also an eye opener seeing the GS's being so well ridden over the rough stuff, I was genuinley impressed with both the riders (Packer & and TM) and with just what the bikes could do :thumb2

Andres

Thank you for your kind words Andes. The fact is that at least in my case it's down to the bike:D

Well impressed with your ability to ride most sections seated! I hope the op gets you more mobility and less pain:thumb2

The 650GS boys was me and my mate (The yellow one with the Tubed Tyres!!) Just wanted to say a massive thanks to Mick who is now our hero. He went out of his way to help us even though he spoilt his own day and at one point offered to trailer the bike home for us as we were struggling to find a new tube. Anyway all sorted back at Micks with a new tube and some nice coffee and some of micks (not for the riff raff) buiscuits that his wife offered. They were delicious.

Anyway thanks again mick you are a legend!

Glad you got it sorted in the end :thumb2

It was a really good days riding, great trails, proper weather and great company so I can only echo everything the TM has posted - yet again I learnt loads and my confidence grew as the trails got a wee bit more tricky :)

Andres

Awww, shucks, I'm all embarrassed now.

Back
Top Bottom