Dogbytes' R80 ST project

Morning dB...
Thought that I might find this being written up on here..!!!
A good project, I'll follow this one with interest,
(as will the familiar airhead names already on the thread!) :D

The stripdown went well then, even with just bicycle tools...:augie
Regards
C.

Morning Mr. B. Was going to call you yesterday to say hello. You in the country? I thought I'd better start it - I've been threatening to for long enough! Although I'm not far into it, it is already much easier on the conscience to see it progressing rather than deteriorating! It would be so much easier were my tools not scattered over the country though...

Front brakes

Incidentally, I'm aware of the clearance issues when fitting twin-discs to GS's. Does the panel feel that I might be excused such problems with my ST's R65 type front end? It has a caliper mount on the other fork leg and didn't R65LS have twin discs as standard?

Incidentally, I'm aware of the clearance issues when fitting twin-discs to GS's. Does the panel feel that I might be excused such problems with my ST's R65 type front end? It has a caliper mount on the other fork leg and didn't R65LS have twin discs as standard?

Just fit an EBC disk and Pretech caliper like what I done, you won't need a second disk setup then.:thumb

Single sided sliding calipers make the whole equation simpler - they solve the main problem which is finding sufficient space between the spokes and the fork leg for the inside cylinder, piston , pad, and disk.

Go for next to nothing on Ebay or a wrecker , everyone wants six piston jobs.

I'll have a good look at it tomorrow and see what the clearance issues are. There might not be a problem. Might as well since I've made no progress on the frame this week. :(

Frame bracing

I've spent some time today making the template for the frame bracing plates, getting them onto my computer and into my CAD system. Now they're in a form the laser cutter can understand and, hopefully I'll get them cut this week.

Attachments

• Templates.jpg
    Templates.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,830
Bits should be laser-ed out today or Monday. Then I have to weld them in... very carefully to avoid warping the whole thing!

I've spent some time today making the template for the frame bracing plates, getting them onto my computer and into my CAD system. Now they're in a form the laser cutter can understand and, hopefully I'll get them cut this week.
Looking good.
Can you maybe label where which bit goes? :p

Frame bracing sections

Yesterday I dropped my frame, sub-frame and monolever into 'I Cleenz Macheenz' in West Norwood, which is a bit of a trek, for blasting. I also picked up the laser-cut frame-bracing sections from near High Wycombe - which is more of a trek. A couple of people have asked where the bits are going and I've attached a labelled pic. Once the frame's back I'll post pics of them in situ before I weld them - for the sake of speed. The swing-arm pivot area sections are 4mm and the rest 3mm. They are pretty much the same as most people seem to use so pics are available with a quick Google search. There are a couple of options with the top tube to rear cradle gussets and I'll be considering those before I light the torch! Should have the frame, etc. back late this week or early next.

Attachments

• Braces.jpg
    Braces.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,767
Tick tock tick tock....

Hoping to pic up the frame, subframe and mono from bead-blasting on Saturday morning. Then I can file up the laser cut bits and start welding.

Anyone got any ideas about this?

Bits are back from bead-blasting. I just have to try to get into the workshop now. As far as I can see there are 4 options for bracing the rear of the spine-tube / cradle join. I'm inclined to go for option 4...

Attachments

• BMW frame mods.pdf
    142.4 KB · Views: 378
Hi Dogbytes

I have literally just found this web site by david Paulus is you haven't come across it before...

http://www.pbase.com/d_paulus/image/43018326

43018326.HPNProjekt013.jpg

43018329.HPNProjekt016.jpg

Hi Pete, they're good pics. I have some other HPN pics somewhere - I'll try to dig them out.

Actually I just looked at them, there's 31Mb of them - I may just give them to you on a disc!

Details, details...

I managed to get a 3 precious hours in a friend's workshop yesterday - the one where most of my tools are, happily. I just managed to file up and polish the edges of the plates - no more sharp edges or stress-risers. Also did final fitting of the swing-arm pivot plates and tidied up the welds on the frame so that they'd sit nicely. Didn't have time to drill the lightening holes but I may be able to do that today if I can sneak my drill/mill into the kitchen...

Attachments

• Fling up.jpg
    Fling up.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,743

Back
Top Bottom