Dogbytes' R80 ST project

Original tank's gone I'm afraid. Besides I prefer a bit more range than that provided. It's getting the 24 litre one that I'm working on right now. I'm going as fast as I can!

For the the impatient, sorry, encouraging in our midst!

Workshop has merged into work this week and the ST has made some progress but the frame isn't quite finished yet. Here's what I managed to achieve. Still got to be tidied up and the steering head braces put in. Next week! Soon after that work will likely kick in big time and I'll be looking for recommendations for the stuff I want to farm out whilst I'm busy. Powder-coating frame, etc. Re furbishing the tank and seat. Engine/ gearbox, etc.

Attachments

• P3045171.jpg
    P3045171.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,715
  • P3045172.jpg
    P3045172.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,397
  • P3045173.jpg
    P3045173.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,399
Wheels?

I'm going to strip the wheels this weekend.

I want them rebuilt with powder-coated rims and stainless spokes. Standard hubs, standard rims and standard offset - so a very easy build compared to some! Who can you recommend?

Also, there was some discussion, on another thread, a while back about hub finishes. The thinking seemed to be that powder-coating a drum-bake hub was a no-no due to the possibility of heat damage. Is that a definite or a possibility? Anyone have a definitive answer? Perhaps I should have the hubs anodized instead.

attachment.php

How are you going to fit the tank with this reinforcing in place or are you fitting a different tank?

attachment.php

How are you going to fit the tank with this reinforcing in place or are you fitting a different tank?

In place of the existing metal bracket-thingy that hooks under the top tube, there will be an inverted U-bracket which will go through two holes in the re-inforcing plate and have a couple of wing-nuts to hold it. Or that's the current plan! There is another option I'm considering too but I'm still working out the details.

Wheels?

Bit of a change today. I decided to strip the wheels. Judging by the grief others seem to have had doing this job, I got lucky - 35 minutes for the pair, start to finish. Before and after...

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,292
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,312
You learn something new every day!

Didn't know front hubs were in two pieces! Do I powder-coat them separately or together? Decisions, decisions...

Looking good Dog ,Im watching with great interest keep it coming :beerjug:Cheers Peter for the Adv Riders post also, Its got me thinkin

Looking good Dog ,Im watching with great interest keep it coming :beerjug:Cheers Peter for the Adv Riders post also, Its got me thinkin

Thanks. Will try to finish welding bits into the frame today as I'm working all weekend. Then I have to make a decision about the forks...

Forks

After great deliberation I've decided to stick with the standard forks - although not in standard configuration. It's not the perfect solution but neither were the available options. I stripped them the other day and measured them up tonight. The sliders measured up okay - no sign of wear but both stanchions were a little under-size (different sizes at that!) and both have excessive runout. New stanchions then. Currently looking at options for refinishing and possibly conversion to a cartridge system. In all honesty they're never going to be up to Öhlins' finest efforts but then it's not a grand prix bike!

Attachments

• Fork internals.jpg
    Fork internals.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,460
I've got a pair of unused RaceTech cartridge emulators for those forks sitting here if your interested.

I've got a pair of unused RaceTech cartridge emulators for those forks sitting here if your interested.

I am very interested, as it happens. It's one the options I was considering. Have you ever ridden anything with them fitted? I was also going to turn up some sort of PTFE spring guides, put some decent anti-friction surface finish on the new stachions and just generally tweak them a bit.

Hi Dogbyte, sorry if this is in the wrong place but the speedo has just packed up on my ST. Would you be interested in selling the one off your bike? If so let me know and I will give you my contact details.

Good luck with the project. Regards, Steve

Hi Dogbyte, sorry if this is in the wrong place but the speedo has just packed up on my ST. Would you be interested in selling the one off your bike? If so let me know and I will give you my contact details.

Good luck with the project. Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, I would be interested as I'm going to put an electronic one one on mine anyway. I've no idea what they're worth and I have a vague recollection that the odometer on mine had stopped - but I can check that. John

Doesn't time fly!

It transpires that around six months have elapsed since I did anything to the ST. This is not a sign of waning interest, I can assure you! Three things have conspired to halt progress.
The first is that I have been extremely busy with work - away from home a lot of the time. Second is that the K1200 S I bought for commuting duties has not proven to be a cheap date (over £2000 on the brakes alone in the past month!). Third, and probably most interesting in this company, is that I have completely changed my mind about what I'm going to build!
On the plus side, my girlfriend has now completed her Masters Degree and I'm hoping to coerce her (with offers of cash!) to do some of the work in my absence. Also I am regularly shamed by the meteoric progress Pete Keys is making with Project Katmandu on my occasional visits for a cup of tea on my way home:)
Anyway, one way or another there will be some progress soon...

just followed the thread from its inception, love these old scoots, pls tell us which direction this build is going to take. i find these builds very inspiring!:blagblah:blagblah

Back
Top Bottom