yamaha serow brake problem

corsicandreamer

I,d rather be ski-ing
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a problem with my good ladies serow the front brake caliper is rubbing against the brake disc, at the side opposite the piston, the pads appear newish so not sure what the cause is. Any advise from the collective would be much appreciated. :nenau

By way of adding info and a bump, could i pack the brake pad on one side as this would push the caliper on that side away from the disc ? :nenau

No, not a good idea.
It could be something sticking, a pin or something.
It would help if you could add a few photographs of offending caliper taken from various angles and then the brainy techies can diagnose the problem a lot easier.

If only it was that simple, BOTH pads are not even scrubbed in, they are that new. Its as if there was a spacer missing behind one of the pads.
Its rained for two days here but looks ok tomorrow so i will check the operation of the caliper to make sure it slides on the pin cheers anyway it could have been something simple but i guess i'm not that lucky

My money is on the floating pins, they are seized.
Though i did see once that someone had over greased the pins causing the void where the pin moves to 'hydraulic' so effectively seizing the caliper in one position.
Strip it off and inspect. I'll go for lack of lube....

Timpo.

I'm with Timpo, check the pins are running free

On further examination the calliper bracket ( thats the piece shown touching the disc) is fixed to the front forks by two bolts therefore i conclude that whoever fitted the new brake pads left two spacer washers off, this puts the bracket in the position it is now which is too close to the disc.
By installing a washer between the bracket and the forks puts the disc central to the calliper when it is mounted back onto its bracket.
The haynes manual doesn't show this as its not normally necessary to undo these bolts.
Dont suppose anyone can confirm this for me one way or the other: :aidan

On further examination the calliper bracket ( thats the piece shown touching the disc) is fixed to the front forks by two bolts therefore i conclude that whoever fitted the new brake pads left two spacer washers off, this puts the bracket in the position it is now which is too close to the disc.
By installing a washer between the bracket and the forks puts the disc central to the calliper when it is mounted back onto its bracket.
The haynes manual doesn't show this as its not normally necessary to undo these bolts.
Dont suppose anyone can confirm this for me one way or the other: :aidan

You may already know this site but if not it will be worth a look as it may assist with confirmation - http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/

Back
Top Bottom