Overtaking

Soooo how did I get that impression too Sir Giles :eek:

Hey Wrigsby I'm on Shetland for the Simmer Dim in June .... buy you a :beer:

:beerjug:

Might o moved by then.....:D The Simmer Dim is a local legend, espec for the hardened drinkers...:augie I am usually away on a trip somewhere "gaan sooth" but I have had some drinking bouts on the isles of Whalsay amongst idder tings..... where "it' even haard tae keep up whi da wifes":augie:D

Most of the big bikers up here either started the Simmer Dim or are seriously battle hardened...:beer:

:thumb

I don't think so...:D "On the outside Mr Sensible, etc, etc"

Hey we all enjoy a good blast don't we:D One big thing is that a trip to something like the TT or the Bol etc makes you realise that you are somewhere safely in the middle ground!

I enjoy things that are a biking challenge and up her in 60N it aint much o one. Next year might see a move "Sooth" to Scotland :)thumb) or similar and there is a road in Dumfries & Galloway with my name on it leading from Girvan to Newton Stewart which would make a nice round trip on a Sunday morn.

+I need some trees again...:D

Good thread & big effort Giles...
Girvan to Newton Stewart is on my home patch If you are comming tae mak a wee bit o progess on it, a wee caution the surface is getting:eek::eek::eek: with the ice and the almost complete lack of maintainance also the number of deer that seem to have appeared .
So enchoy but keep a decent wee bit in reserve

Girvan to Newton Stewart is on my home patch If you are comming tae mak a wee bit o progess on it, a wee caution the surface is getting:eek::eek::eek: with the ice and the almost complete lack of maintainance also the number of deer that seem to have appeared .
So enchoy but keep a decent wee bit in reserve

Cheers! We were on our way down Sooth this summer and were looking at a couple of houses.... We did the road on the way to Newton Stewart but sadly were in a LWB LT35 van with acres of crap and 4 dogs! All i could think was I wish i had the f'ing bike whi me:mad:

Great going up da waa but like you said a bit patchy in the forest coming down, not helped by the big feck off trucks for a new windfarm... We had pulled off for a mo and an artic++ came the other way with a blade (I think?) on it:eek:

Bonnie place and with a bit of luck it may be a bit more "local" for us at some point:thumb

+1

Newton Stewart to Stranraer even..........that section of the A75 is treacherous in this weather. I rode to stranraer christmas eve last year on the sv 650 and the last 25 miles was sheet ice. it was sleeting when i got to Newton Stewart and got worse from there on in. the bike was sliding on the corners and wheel spinning on the straights. the folk were surprised to see me at the ferry port with a motorbike in tact and ice on my boots.

it is usally closed if the weather gets really bad, it got closed on christmas eve last year and again on the 27th dec due to heavy ice.

I'd take care on that section of road even on 4 wheels!

For the guys who ride the things with blue flashies for their job...

Do you ride/position differently when on your private stead ?

For the guys who ride the things with blue flashies for their job...

Do you ride/position differently when on your private stead ?

Well it's a few years since I retired rce but for me, basically ..... no!

Actually, quite often, in heavy traffic, I would switch off the twos'n blue's on a shout because it just fecked people up :eek:

With the best intentions they would get in my way, shut the door so to speak. So I picked my way through them and the first thing they knew, the first thing they saw ... was me in front of them ;)

That's how I ride today ... like a stealth bomber, below radar, invisible ... I do my own thinking, and theirs for them :thumb

That's how I ride today ... like a stealth bomber, below radar, invisible ... I do my own thinking, and theirs for them :thumb

"Have no expectations and you won't be dissapointed".

Gotta say that when couriering and people saying how we rode like twats, I used to say "you worry about you and we will worry about us".

I used to have a very worn CBR that was in "stealth black". As it was out of a can from Halfords (or was it Trago:D.... SW joke there) I couldn't guarantee it's anti radar properties:D

Well it's a few years since I retired rce but for me, basically ..... no!

Actually, quite often, in heavy traffic, I would switch off the twos'n blue's on a shout because it just fecked people up :eek:

With the best intentions they would get in my way, shut the door so to speak. So I picked my way through them and the first thing they knew, the first thing they saw ... was me in front of them ;)

Could'nt agree more! There's very little I do differently.

When I'm on a job bike, there's a corporate image that goes with the territory, and I need to be just a little bit sensitive to the public perception of police riding. So reading between the lines there, I might be a bit lairy if there's nothing about, but if there's stuff on the road, I need to be a little bit cute.

Mickys comments on blues and twos haven't changed in the fifteen years or however long he's been out. We mentioned coming up behind vehicles versus oncoming vehicles earlier, and more often than not, the stuff infront of you will unwittingly feed you into a traffic island or they'll slow down opposite another slowing oncoming and in trying to help, they actually make the perfect pinchpoint !

Often the best tac is no noise, no lights, whoosh ... Of course the problem is that public perception; :rob fecking coppers .... late for their tea again...!! And to boot if there was a prang and I had no lights or blues on, every body would be saying 'well why wasn't he ....'

Every time I have had a car with blues come up behind me some twat has buggered it up for them.

I try to find a good place to pull over so it can get past even with oncoming, if by stopping I will slow it up more I will carry on a bit until i can let it past, most lemmings just jam on the anchors and as stated you end up with two staionary cars, one on each side of the road forming a block.

On several occasions I have seen a car coming up behind, pulled right over only for some dickhead behind to try and overtake me.

The biggest shame is the plod are obviously far too busy to nick them for due care, I reckon if they have video they should do so later, or at least send out a "you twat" letter.

Every time I have had a car with blues come up behind me some twat has buggered it up for them.

I try to find a good place to pull over so it can get past even with oncoming, if by stopping I will slow it up more I will carry on a bit until i can let it past, most lemmings just jam on the anchors and as stated you end up with two staionary cars, one on each side of the road forming a block.

On several occasions I have seen a car coming up behind, pulled right over only for some dickhead behind to try and overtake me.

The biggest shame is the plod are obviously far too busy to nick them for due care, I reckon if they have video they should do so later, or at least send out a "you twat" letter.

I try to do the same, nicest one I had in car was saw range rover with blues catching me up, so I sped a little to get to a layby as he reached me, was nice getting a wave from the co-pilot.

Thanks for the replies Giles and Micky

Responding to Blue Lights

Some good commnets coming from the forum, but it would make life at lot easier if other drivers where taught how to react to Emergency Vehicles. When I teach, I tell the drivers, wait for a positive reaction from other vehicles and drivers - Then respond to the change in speed or direction.

Sorry to High Jack this article on overtaking, but some good stuff here. Here is a clip of some Blue Lighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6B60JIGj8

Regards

Nigel

Some good commnets coming from the forum, but it would make life at lot easier if other drivers where taught how to react to Emergency Vehicles. When I teach, I tell the drivers, wait for a positive reaction from other vehicles and drivers - Then respond to the change in speed or direction.

Sorry to High Jack this article on overtaking, but some good stuff here. Here is a clip of some Blue Lighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6B60JIGj8

Regards

Nigel

I always used to teach riders to see what, where and when the blue light will reach them and then react accordingly. Far too much panic driving or just plain dumb such as stopping for no reason instead of just moving over, or trying to move out of the way but just getting in the way instead.

A good blue light pilot will have picked a route most of the time anyway and only needs a small amount of co-operation for it all to work.

So whilst half of me compleeeetly agrees with some of the people (like Timolgra) of this parish who advocate 'just get on it and ride....', I also believe that you need tools in your back pack that you learn how to use, become unconsciously good with them, and then you 'just ride'..:thumb

That's exactly what I've meant in past comments, practice your riding (and driving) without thinking too hard.

I sometimes give myself a running commentary through the autocom and realise there's not enough time to actually say all the things you're mentally taking on board with little effort and utterly impossible on a fast enduro bike for example:thumb

I sometimes give myself a running commentary through the autocom and realise there's not enough time to actually say all the things you're mentally taking on board with little effort and utterly impossible on a well ridden GS for example:thumb

Ho Tim, d'ya need Autocom to talk to thisen :eek:

Well I just talks to misen, dun't need Autocom, but I know what you mean ;)

I will often give myself a running commentary and as you say, when on form there aint enough time to talk about what you're seeing. I suggest to students don't just tell me what you're seeing ... but what you're doing about it ... it matters!

Ho Tim, d'ya need Autocom to talk to thisen :eek:

Well I just talks to misen, dun't need Autocom, but I know what you mean ;)

I will often give myself a running commentary and as you say, when on form there aint enough time to talk about what you're seeing. I suggest to students don't just tell me what you're seeing ... but what you're doing about it ... it matters!

I use an autocom because it makes me feel less of a twat talking out loud to myself:D

What am I going to do about it?
Generally nothing needs doing, because it's already sorted (unconsciously).....and that's why the self commentary is so difficult for me:blast

Commentary

That's exactly what I've meant in past comments, practice your riding (and driving) without thinking too hard.

I sometimes give myself a running commentary through the autocom and realise there's not enough time to actually say all the things you're mentally taking on board with little effort and utterly impossible on a fast enduro bike for example:thumb
This "private commentary" seems to be a feature used by quite a few riders. I was taught to do this many years ago when undergoing training and I found it a really valuable tool. I still use it, and often find myself chatting away inside of the old full face. Interestingly, I find that I'm usually quite hard on myself when judging circumstances, as far as speed allows, trying to see the others point of view and not just blaming "the tw*t" coming the other way etc. I find that by being a bit introspective and analytical helps me to keep a balanced view. All that notwithstanding, I do acknowledge the presence of many "tw*ts" on our roads:augie

You're both certainly right about the time factor, and when quicking it a bit you have to be more selective about the stuff you include in the commentary. Occasionally I get asked to demonstrate a commentary when driving, and although I'm out of practice the passenger concerned has always been astonished at the amount of information I process, something that we sort of take for granted. They just can't believe what I'm seeing and reacting too.:thumb2

I used to give the odd commentary mainly to show to learner students roughly what and how fast your eyes and brain are processing info.

Many years ago I said to my girlie that "she was the 1st person that made me want to have an intercom":D She has since decided otherwise:D:D

My favourite funny regarding intercoms was when i taught a Marine based in Plymouth who had been "under the radar" on his Fireblade for a time before...

He told me how he had taken his girlie pillion on the 'Blade from Plymouth to Germany in the middle of winter:eek: "Got as far as Exeter services before I turned the fackin' thing off...!" and by Dover it was "shut the fack up or yer walkin'....":D

I usually wear earplugs:augie

Sometimes the reasons for doing a commentary is not always understood. As has been pointed out the faster you go ,the more difficult it is to get the words out before you are past whatever it was you were talking about.
In fact this in itself gives you the answer and the real reason for doing a commentary in the first place. The faster you go the further up the road you should look .So by having to talk about what you can see, you have to look as far as you can see thus improving your observation,and this is one of the main reasons for doing it
I have heard many comentaries where the driver is so busy trying to fit everything in that it becomes a nonsense. that against some Police instructors who ,even at silly speeds could talk in a relaxed manner but pointing out hazards and describing their actions well in advance. It is an art in itself.

Yesterday going to work (in the car) I was going down a long narrow residential road (tall victorian houses close to the road with very little visibilty into the junctions). Police van, blues but no siren, coming towards me. His way was blocked by a car waiting to turn right with indicators on. Police van was about 150 yards behind him, I was probably about 80 yards from the car waiting to turn right. No problem I thought, the van will be reluctant to overtake a car waiting to turn right and if the van rolls off slightly the timings are right for me to get past the car, car turns right, hazard gone, van continues up the road.

No no - van - doing about 50 - goes for the overtake on the car waiting to turn right just as I'm coming to it, going for a gap that isn't there forcing me onto the pavement. :rolleyes:

Firstly I should point out that not all Police drivers are Advanced trained and of course there are idiots as in any walk of life. When I was a young plod vans and Panda cars did not have blue lights or sirens so only advanced traffic drivers could do the blues ant twos thing. Made sure we did not rely on the lights without proper training. Vans especially in rural areas only had a blue light for use when stationary. It is inevitable that when you give some young bobby a vehicle with a blue light on the top and then tell him that he needs to get to an urgent job that he is going to drive like a pratt.

Back
Top Bottom