Geraint Jones....................watch and learn

And I'll tell you a story.....
I was stuck in Myherin Forest many years ago, I was on a new XR400 and the two lads i was with were on XR600s, we were trying to climb a slate trail known a '5 mile island', a real old school twat of a Welsh lane starting near Devil's Bridge and ending near Sweet Lamb on the A44.
My 400 was just making it up the climb, but the 600s were digging holes. We were fecking knackered and the mist was coming down low.
Every now and then I could here the crack of throttle and two strokes revving, then out of the fog came Wyn Jones and Paul Edmonson, funny really as I thought I'd heard at least another bike.
Anyway, between where we were resting and them was a load of brush that a logging machine had trimmed from the harvested trees, and the two riders egged each other on to see who would go first.....
Well, Edmonson fired this Suzuki up and fecking nailed it...... I have never seen anyone go over the handlebars like it and get up afterwards......:eek:
Wyn Jones near pissed himself laughing..... and wiping the tears of laughter from his eyes, kicked his KTM into life.
Like the braches were tarmac, WJ rode the sticks like they weren't there, it was fecking amazing.
In the meantime, Eddy had picked his bike up, fired it up and gingerly flicked the machine through the rough. When I turned as he passed us, I caught Geriant Jones picking his way though the trees, the crafty old dog had sent the two though knowing it was to be a challenge, and he detoured through the pines and was waiting in the sides watching...... fecking brilliant.
The three stopped at the bottom of our nemisis climb and asked if we were ok, and then departing into the forest, they were gone..... not using the lane, but up through the woods.:eek
We eventually got out of the forest and headed back to Llanidloes..... Guiness was required, and a set of XR600 clutch plates.....:augie
T.

yep, I had an IT250H, also a CR250 with light kit on it (nail) and a real nice bike used at 17 was a DT175MX in cemoto enduro trim.:cool:
I wish I still had any one of them......:drool

Timpo.

I still have my DT175MX from then...
Still running but sadly i painted it and changed it a bit..:blast
Hey we never learn....:eek
:rob

I'm sure those clips were from a BBC farming programme. They certainly bring back memories, or should that be nightmares, of the Beacons. I rode a PE 175 in those days. Great handling and with good power as long as you changed the piston rings every other event.

I'm sure those clips were from a BBC farming programme. They certainly bring back memories, or should that be nightmares, of the Beacons. I rode a PE 175 in those days. Great handling and with good power as long as you changed the piston rings every other event.

Yes, I think it was part of a series they did called 'The Mavericks'

Geraint always has been my enduro idol.
The days when he looked slowest were always his fastest, he is always so smooth.
That hill on that he jumps down on the second vid is the old Beacons enduro test and that moorland grass is always like ice!

I remember on on of his enduro schools looking at lines through some very snotted forest and he asked where I was planning to ride, I said, well I will go somewhere this side.
His reply was 'that's no good you need to plan which INCH of track you want to be on or you will end up anywhere'!!
A very genuine modest man:bow:bow

Good vid

Cheers Johnny :thumb Long time since I last watched those

It was probably in one of those vids years ago that Geraints meticulous appraoch to maintenance and preparation really impressed me as a kid and stayed with me.

Cheers Johnny :thumb Long time since I last watched those

It was probably in one of those vids years ago that Geraints meticulous appraoch to maintenance and preparation really impressed me as a kid and stayed with me.

Glad you enjoyed them too:thumb

Yam 4 Strokes

The big Yam 4 strokes pictured look amazing. Until recently I had a seriously modified 84 yam TT600, bored out to 640. I ran it at various clubman enduros and also did the Weston Beach race for two years.
The Weston is not the place for a big four stroke, everyone else on 250 two strokes. I spent more time underneath it than I did on it. Fell off (Again) after a small jump and the bike was on top of me, as I looked up a sidecar outfit piloted by two gorillas came over the jump behind me, no time to avoid me the sidecar wheel ran over my head, splitting my lip. Also managed to get carbon monoxide poisoning at the first large mound after sitting in the melee trying to get over it. What a mental experience that was.
I also ran a Husky WR 260 two stroke enduro. Brilliant machine but ridiculous prices for parts crippled me. Rebuilt the engine once on a brand new kitchen work top, cant tell you how impressed with that she was after arriving home early from work!
I beleive it was Geraint Jones that first took the TT round the Welsh Six Day event. As I 12 year old I remember a picture of the TT600 balanced on the wall on the cover of Off Road Rider Mag I think it was called. I said then as a twelve year old that one day I'd have one. It took me 20 years but eventually I got mine. Excel 17inch Rims, Michelin race wets and a PFM 320mm disc and six pot caliper, best bike I've ever had.

Well worth re-visiting:beerjug:

You're not wrong JB, especially as I missed it first time! Geraint was my hero in my youth, so imagine my surprise when on returning to competition he was the CoC at the Hafren, and then comes over to talk to Paul while I'm stood grinning like a halfwit!
An old "associate" of mine claims to have one of Aberg's factory bikes in bits in his shed.
Weston :eek:
I did the first and second one. First on an Armstrong 500, so had a very similar experience to Smudge. Second on a Maico 490, which was better, but still not good.
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be......
:D
Mark

I bought one of Geraint's 2 stroke WR250's way back when, had to tame it a little with an extra base gasket and a flywheel weight but it was a joy to ride ;-)

That trick with Wyn and Paul was a Geraint speciality, even during competitions!

Back
Top Bottom