Help & advice prepping an X Challenge for almost RTW trip

Loved reading this thread!

I'm at the start of prepping my X for a trip to Mongolia (solo). I don't have the luxury to follow up all of the adjustments (although it's tempting), but it's very helpful. I already knew Bas and met Eric. Just sold my house (tomorrow the last and final signature) so the journey can start!

Hi Guys I am new to this thread came across it whilst looking for the solution to the header pipe touching the water hose.
After reading Cole's Sibersky extreme bike build I came across Clayton's notification that he is selling the bike and as they say the rest is history
Lovely workmanship a few weeks after I got it, I went for a six week trip around South Africa, after I came back and have been in a slight financial doldrums until now, so planning either another trip to SA this year or Morocco, or a a guided motorcycle trip to Libyan desert and for that I want to get this X-Challenge ship shape, and finally register in my name lol. But I suspect it have been standing for a few years before it got sold and it has been parked up in my garage since Sept of 2015.
So I will need to do a few things
1.) I probably need to replace the water pump seals
2.) Clean the fuel system
3.) Resolve the header pipe touching the water pipe
4.) Remove lower mudguard as it is chaffing the Front fork, and find an alternate front fender
As Clayton has fitted a SR titanium can I thought I would try and get teh matching header pipe, but it doesn't look like they are selling the header pipe anymore
http://www.sr-racing.de/auspuffsysteme/bmw/bmw-g-650-x/

I thought about replacing the pipes with Silicon pipes, and then just cutting 10mm of the pipe to see if I can get more clearance

6693993975_21da8f137d_b.jpg

One other item I will need to remove is the low fender as it rubs against the forks

6343695493_ff21d6b46a_o.jpg

6343695493_ff21d6b46a_o.jpg

So will need to find an alternative

Other Mods I am considering is converting the SS hotrod tank into a water tank and add the TT tanks or use the Desert Fox fuel cells I have been using these on every trip through South Africaa tough piece of kit, that I can highly recommend for any LRRAR or LRDAR, they are good for carrying fuel and water just make sure you mark them before use so you don't mix the water one with the petrol one:blast.

Any advice would be appreciated regarding the header pipe
Below is my other project that has been dragging on for a few years whilst scouring the internet for the right parts and last year all the planets aligned for some of the more elusive parts
2004 KTM 950 Adventure s forks and the TT WP shock still looking for the TT Raley suspension I believe this will be the holy grail
Untitled.jpg

My current bike collection consist of 3 X 2007 F650 Dakar's 2 X UK based and 1 X South Africa based and this piece of joy.

're header pipes, suggest order replacement water pipe from bmw (they are still available), and once fitted, loosen the header pipe fixings and rotate it around to ensure there is enough of a gap between it and the coolant hoses. Retighten once in correct position. I've not had a problem since.

're header pipes, suggest order replacement water pipe from bmw (they are still available), and once fitted, loosen the header pipe fixings and rotate it around to ensure there is enough of a gap between it and the coolant hoses. Retighten once in correct position. I've not had a problem since.

Thanks GFJ, did you replace your exhaust header seal when you did this? I thought I might try this first, good to hear it is a simple fix, thanks for confirming, luckily I do have a set of silicon water pipes (£12 of Ebay) for my Dakar's and after studying them closely and verifying through RealOEM I am glad to see that this pipe is identical.

Hi Guys, I have a very similar set up with my XC and each long trip, (TAT & 8000m in SA) has resulted in the threads stripping from the pannier rail mountings in the rear frame. I know Erik offers a replacement captive bolt option but haven't met anyone that's had the same issue or used his option. Any views please? I think I've established that the X Country steel frame is no longer available and that Touratech no longer sell their frame. Coupled with the fact that BMW are withdrawing support for the XC I think I only have Erik's option left! I'm using the Magadan luggage by the way.

Hi Guys, I have a very similar set up with my XC and each long trip, (TAT & 8000m in SA) has resulted in the threads stripping from the pannier rail mountings in the rear frame. I know Erik offers a replacement captive bolt option but haven't met anyone that's had the same issue or used his option. Any views please? I think I've established that the X Country steel frame is no longer available and that Touratech no longer sell their frame. Coupled with the fact that BMW are withdrawing support for the XC I think I only have Erik's option left! I'm using the Magadan luggage by the way.

From what I have read the best is to find a BMW steel subframe from the yellow Xcountry it is a straight fit if you want to fix it permanently you'll just have to be patient trying to find one below is the detail from Chris Scott
https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2014/03/09/bmw-650-xcountry-subframe-swap/
But here is hotrod welding's site maybe they would be willing to create a steel subframe :)
http://www.hotrodwelding.nl/home.php

You can drill out the existing threaded holes and fit captive rivnut bushes so the original thread size is maintained

Alternatively buy a second hand aluminium frame with the fixing points still in tact

I've no knowedge of the problem but wonder if putting longer bolts in with a locknut on the back would solve it?

Presuming there's enough clearance....

Last edited:
I've no knowedge of the problem but wonder if putting longer bolts in with a locknut on the back would solve it?

Presuming there's enough clearance....

It’s a blind hole so you would have to drill right through frame which would weaken it hence why you fit blind rivnut bushes . I have done this fix and it works great - strong enough to hold an XTank . I ended up being very lucky and subsequently finding a steel frame and fitting that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom