Morocco/Algeria border to reopen soon?

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
A few days ago a report on moroccoboard.com stated that the Algerian President had decided to reopen the border with Moroco. Well, as Aristotle said, one swallow doesn't make a summer, and I wanted to see confirmation on other news sites, but there was nothing reported.

I've did the same searches again last night using 'algérie maroc frontière ouvert' in Google and now it's starting to come up with quite a few French language references. They are mainly based on a similar text to the moroccoboard.com news item but they are stating "Ouverture de la frontière entre le Maroc & l’Algérie prévue pour les prochaines semaine"

THE BORDER WILL OPEN NEXT WEEK

(in sha'Allah)

It looks like my next trip might be heading east... :)

Please keep us posted, I would like to be going East myself around this time next year.

:thumb

From last week: 18 April 2011 "Tout sur l’Algérie" argues that open borders will not be long. According to the daily electronic, the Algerian authorities are trying to renovate, "in recent weeks," the checkpoints at the borders. So far, no official decision has been taken by both governments.

Bit of weedkiller and paint needed, then there's computer systems and landlines, training of officials and finally the oiling of the barrier hinges...

Do you know anything about the security situation in Algeria at the minute? Will you still have to travel with armed security? I'm looking at driving on to Tunisia and back out via Sicily. I'm hoping things in Tunisa will have camed down enough by next year :aidan

:thumb Thanks Tim :thumb

That site is a huge resource of information. Loved the bit about "Carlos", and cheap ferry tickets.

Here's one non fundamentalist having a break in Kenitra after riding down from Ireland, all is better than good here, long may it continue

Back
Top Bottom