Votes: 71 15.4%
  • If traffic is traveling at 0 - 30 mph

Votes: 275 59.7%
  • If traffic is traveling at 30 - 50 mph

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • Never filter - unless traffic at standstill

Votes: 74 16.1%

• Total voters
As for people on their mobile phones or sending texts (or reading newspapers whilst moving slowly in traffic jams), don't get me started !

That's what worrys me the most. On virtually any road, if you see a vehicle (usually a car) going much slower than traffic around it / wandering all over their lane (and sometimes outside it) / undergoing erratic speed changes, it's usually down to some shenannigans with a mobile phone, map, or newspaper.:rob

Irritates the hell out of me and I try to get round them safely at the earliest opportunity. What we need is some form of Biker-styled superhero to banish all these phone pests...

Does anyone know if the Moogster's still in town?:toungincheek

not this again...

Do what you like and whatever makes you happiest to post about here.

Just remember that when it all goes wrong you're going to have to explain it to a police officer, you might also be in need of a dab of TCP and a plaster. Then you're going to have to draw some before during after pictures for your insurers.

What the hell is that?:nenau

I think it can only be this:

1.jpg

or maybe, this:

5106362178_bb5f231aea.jpg

or even, this, which is what happens if one's 'appropriate' judgement of the unbroken white line was not quite as astute as one thought:

foxmarks1.jpg

I think filtering is a judgement call -- some lanes are wider than others do you filter between 2 artics? yes if they both have seen you and move to give you the room same for a cop car most times they will move to let you pass then you have the apes that move just enough to close the door on you. In my opinion it is safe to filter and make headway (not progress). When you leave the lane that you are in or are constly moving between lanes you must take care and be 110% alert. Remember if you crash after getting past 5 miles of traffic there will be 100s of witnesses to your behaviour and many will be happy to step foreward as a witness. I filter all the time except when I am tired and cannot give it the concertation it needs. JJH

I....

will filter when I can, not more than 10/15MPH above traffic speed and always try to have another motorcycle a couple of seconds ahead of me, the first bike wakes the dozy car drivers up and then they are aware of bikes for a few seconds before they fall asleep again.....:D

Will filter to front of traffic lights but put one car in front of me so that he gets wiped out by the red light jumper.....:D

A bit like

Rudiemoto filters like that, I had the unfortunate experience of riding pillion, I cried like a little girl..:eek:

Mainly for the "A" road and Motorway riders.

Also interesting to see how much faster than the traffic you filter at ?
I was on M4 couple of weeks ago and filtering at about 10mph faster than the traffic and had to pull in to let a guy "fly" past - he was filtering very slow moving traffic (20mph) at about 50mph

Where on the M4 - was it between Bristol & Swansea? :wasntme

No limits, few rules.

If your holding your breath you're probably going too fast.

Shep

I use to ride regularly into London and was horrified at the speed some of them would filter past traffic on the M4 & M25. They could absolutely never stop in time. I watched a driver one morning deliberately aim their car at a speed filtering motorcyclist.

Sometimes motorcyclists would even wave their fists at me because I was travelling within the police guidelines. Step outside those guidelines and you are looking at careless driving and quite a few points!!

A motorcyclist recently was done for careless in Hampshire and all he did was filter up to the lights on the inside.

Bugger that, Just go over the top of the feckers.lol:blast

On a more serious note, would probably only filter if it had actually come to a stop. I'd also be covering the brakes in case Mr Myopia Hat Owner decides he doesnt like the colour of the road surface in his lane....

Im also wary of filtering with panniers on due to leaving pannier marks on cars not once but twice. Naturally I stopped and exchanged details.....:augie

Just remember when a car pulls left to block your progress, he makes the gap on his right much larger, so go for the larger gap. Did this last Friday to two drivers who pulled left to block me - to say their faces were a picture would be an understatement, never mind, I left them to the 5 mile standing traffic jam on the M4 Jt 38-36 :beerjug:

This is how one commuter does it, Say what you want, he can ride.

I recon he is pretty sharp to be doing this, I don't condone it but he is alive because he has very good reactions.
You may want to make sure you are seated before watching. The last 3 mins are where its at.

Al.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/video-moscow-motorcyclists-crazy-high-speed-commute/#continued

Thankfully nobody walked out in front of him and nobody opened their door... he's a fucking idiot.

Back
Top Bottom