Votes: 71 15.4%
  • If traffic is traveling at 0 - 30 mph

Votes: 275 59.7%
  • If traffic is traveling at 30 - 50 mph

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • Never filter - unless traffic at standstill

Votes: 74 16.1%

• Total voters
I'll filter for a while then, I often pull in behind a car to get a breather, wait for the R1 / courier/hooniigan rider to come past with loud pipes, then follow at my own speed. That break is like me not riding 5 days a week. In my mind statistically, I am less likely to get hit by reducing hours in the danger zone! Given the stats of bikes in accidents...every little reset/break can reset my stat..iow my chance of an accident. Not sure if thats right - but it works for me..

Paris...peripherique... they take filtering to a whole new level....never sweated so much in all my life.

Fatal accident here a few days ago on the approach to dartford river crossing.

m/c filtering, got it wrong and went underneath a van ...

In my experience bag a have acquired a few phrases that have guided me through life - I've just added another.

Thank You Micky

Every CBT student gets that phrase from me in the first couple of hours :D

We say ... "You start with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience ... the idea is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck has run out"

Almost true but need qualifying because you don't actually know if the bag of luck is empty to start with :eek:

Is it illegal of just bad form to filter at the drive through?

fucking stupidity NOT to.

Car = stay warm, stay dry, get held up in queues

Bike = stay cold, get wet, NEVER have to queue for fuck all, although it did piss the drivers off at the ferry port when we went right up the side of the queue to the passport booth.

those are the rules !!!!! Even on the continent, as coming from Belgium into France there is always a hold up on the motorway due to security controls where it brings the traffic off the motorway round a roundabout and back on again, but they like bikes over there so much they provide a special lane just to the left separated by cones for bikes to use so they dont have to queue up, they even have cameras that take a photo of your shit eating grin as you pass the cars by, its grand it is.

i came through Paris yesterday about 1500 hrs , i love riding the Périphérique , i like that i can still "hold my own" in heavy traffic . i was overtaken by a Gendarme on an FJR1300 tho' . the outside lane is always wider than the other lanes . not 1 horn bib from the car drivers or someone trying to block you .

Think this provides a good example of what Giles was talking about. Fortunately the biker got away with only minor injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sef9aDWeIE4

I don't like how the biker was trying to blame the car, Id put the blame on the biker. He states that the car was in a blind spot, but he should have ridden in a way that allows for hidden vehicles. If your going to filter then you need to be prepared to accept the risks. The car driver probably looked in his mirrors but failed to see the motorbike. I'd put the blame for that accident on the biker, not the car. The biker should have been prepared for a car changing lanes. Its what cars do in traffic jams.

Not sure if it's been said above (too many posts to scan!) but IMHO never follow another filterer.

They see one bike and let them past then don't look again.

"Now I'll do what I was going to do before they went past, it's all clear so I don't need to use my mirrors" - then they change lane/move back into the middle of their lane/get out and have a breath of fresh air (after being stopped for 20 mins+)/whatever.

My 2p.

A

Not sure if it's been said above (too many posts to scan!) but IMHO never follow another filterer.

They see one bike and let them past then don't look again...

... My 2p.

A
Fair point, but it can be viewed the other way around. What Steptoe once called the "Sacrificial Scooter" in London;
You wait for one to come along.
You let him go past, then tuck in behind.
He creates the "bow wave" and others follow*.

The most likely one to get punted out of it by a car is the lead Bike - the Sacrificial Scooter. :green gri

*In London, due to sheer volume of traffic, patterns of behaviour and habit - it works!
I used to do it as a courier in the late 70's / early 80's.
That is; use a vehicle ahead to give me some clues about what's coming up.

it does not become undertaking as your filtering BETWEEN two lanes of traffic. Undertaking requires you to be in the slow lane moving faster than the traffic in the fast lane

Undertaking requires you to be in the slow lane moving faster than the traffic in the fast lane

There are no 'slow' lanes, or 'fast' lanes ... only lanes.

We ride on the left in the UK ... if your lane of traffic is travelling faster than the lane to your right it is perfectly acceptable and would not be called undertaking!

Where did this information come from I would like to read up on it. I will get my friends courrt citation that clearly states different and send it to you!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Where did this information come from I would like to read up on it. I will get my friends courrt citation that clearly states different and send it to you!

Where do you think it comes from? Have you never read the Highway Code?

Overtaking on the nearside (left) is legally acceptable if you are driving on a multi-lane carriageway in congested conditions, and the lane to the left is moving at a faster speed than lanes to the right. In these circumstances overtaking on the left is permissible although extra caution is needed for an awareness of other vehicles moving to the faster lane on the left.

Although this isn't always the case when filtering.

What is a dual carriageway or motorway ? It is in law a one way road, what does the highway code say about one way streets ?

If, you're riding along at 60 mph on a D/C in lane one, and you come across old biddies are us doing 40mph in their Micra in lane 2 whom you pass; it is NOT an undertake, you have maintained position and speed. What is illegal is coming from lane 2 into lane 1 passing them and then either continuing to pass other vehicles or going back to lane two, this is an undertake.

If you come across slower moving traffic in lane 2, whilst you are in lane 1, due to traffic ahead turning right; do you stop and wait until they start going faster than you, because it'll be an illegal undertake to pass them on the left ?

Rule 268
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/motorways-253-to-273

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Where may you overtake on a one-way street?
http://mocktheorytest.com/checkquestion/car/all/1/5051/

The specific offence of undertaking was done away with 10-15 years ago, the only offence of undertaking is "without due care" or similar if the circumstances warrant it but nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom