On the Trail to Tibet

Tiffany

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, it's true folks, I'm heading off once more though this time, it will be quite a different journey.
Kevin and Julia have taken pity on me and given me the role of Expedition Guide for the Tibet Trip, though officially in the GlobeBusters brochure it's the Silk Road to Beijing:augie.
I'm leaving these shores on Saturday morning accompanied by 12 clients, Mark the Expedition Leader and Alan the support van driver/mechanic.

If anyone is around early Saturday morning, and wants to see what I look like riding something a bit more modern (I'll be on a 1200GS) we're having a last full English Fry Up betwen 7.00am and 8.15 at the Ace Cafe, and yes, I am talking about the day after tomorrow.

Ay up Tiffany ... the best of luck with this :thumb

Keep us all informed please :kissy2

Micky
:beerjug:

All the best for this trip, Tiffany! :thumb2

I'm sure you will do a brilliant job - looking after 14 men should be a walk in the park for a woman of your calibre and experience... :augie

If they leave you some time for yourself please let us know how it's going.

Have a great time!

Ela

Don't forget to let me know when you're arriving in Istanbul. I'll let the BMW dealer here know they'll have lots of 1200 business coming.

You will be really looked after, even as a guide :eek:

Congratulation a great acerlaid :thumb

I try my best to run my company from a far, they manage thers from further by miles, and really well

FANTASTIC STUFF,

Have a great trip!

Hope you won't find it too boring with a support truck and such a crowd ;)

Cheers,
Michel

On the Road

Whew, two and a half weeks into the trip and I'm finally getting a chance to say hello to you all. I'm sat in an Internet Cafe and I'm wearing a full length black polyester tent (despite temperatures nudging the 30's) yep, we've reached Iran and I'm wearing the obligatory cover-up clothing.
In fact I'm looking a bit more frumpy than usual as this is the same chador I wore 14 years ago when I crossed Iran on Thelma and fashions have changed a lot, some of them are even wearing mid-thigh length chadors (over trousers) though of course every woman has a head scarf on as well.

It's been an amazing trip so far and they're a great bunch of people.
3 Yanks, 4 Brits, 2 Aussies, 1 Swede, 1 Swiss and a guy from Jersey. some funny moments with differences of languages, the Yanks are happy with being called Yanks, though when the Ausies mentioned the word Seppoes and we had to explain Septic Tanks to them, they weren't so sure about that!

it was fast across Europe, then 2 and a half days in Istanbul, before a leisurely pace across Turkey with some great riding and nice places to stay - oh yes, no rough camping for Miss Coates on this trip!:augie

I'm loving riding the R1200GS that they've set me loose with, it's easier to ride than Thelma, but don't tell her that! she's still my baby.
I've got my big clomping boots on - they help me to reach the ground with their platform soles, though I'm sure that wasn't the design plan in BMW's mind when they made the GS boots.
also for the first time I'm taking ear protection seriously and I've got the customised ear plugs from Ultimate which have been great. I like the bright colours and the fact they've got my name on them -though wondering why Judge is calling me Shrek these days!

the riding and scenery have been phenomenal,a very different feeling to be on someone else's planned schedule- and as for that bloody GPS thing they've issued me with- luckily someone's teenage son was at the Ace Cafe and he helped me turn it on and show me how to use it- blagger Coates still has her compass and maps though.

IMG1501b-M.jpg

here's one who didn't make the final selection panel for GlobeBusters.

and here I am with Beryl the orange 1200.
IMG1522-L.jpg

I'm not always getting a chance to write up my progress here, but there's more info and pics on my website, the GobeBusters website with its Tales from the Road and also ADV rider for any of you who lurk there- though the Yanks don't always get my humour.

gasping for one (or several) of these:beerjug:
but not till we've reached the next border

so think of me when you're in the pub tonight
cheers

Tiff - you coming through Romania? Or Serbia on way down?

Gavin - +40 727 876476 I am in Cristian now - round corner from your namesake!!

Hey Gavin, I'd heard through the grapevine that you'd relocated to Cristian - how's little Tiff and Oli getting on?
sorry there wasn't a route through Romania this year and as for Serbia, we were basically racing through until we reached Turkey...next time I'll call by though.:D

Didn't let me know when you were here, I'm not offended, not at all. I obviously need to take my personal hygiene more seriously.

Keep having fun.

I Knew I'd Be In Trouble

Didn't let me know when you were here, I'm not offended, not at all. I obviously need to take my personal hygiene more seriously.

Keep having fun.

Really sorry about that - I was stretched enough as it is with keeping an eye on my punters and getting my shopping done. I didn't want to promise to meet people and then let them down.
Next time for sure.:beerjug:

You're Bloody Everywhere

I was sat minding my own business in a cafe in Bukhara (Uzbekistan) when I suddenly heard "It's Tiffany" and there were a couple of guys from UKGSer - Henry and Zebb.
we had a chat, swapped stories and continued our separate ways.
it's been a whirlwind of movement lately and poor internet access- what do you expect with Iran and Turkmenistan?

more later

Riding Hard

getting a chance to get some blogging done - it's not all been easy lately as we've had some hard trails to ride

the flaming crater in the Turkmenistan desert
P1010597-M.jpg

In Iran
IMG1783-M.jpg

Khiva
P1010711-M.jpg

Great photo's - love the image of the bright orange bike and you in a full length black dress! :)
look forward to more.....

Great photo's - love the image of the bright orange bike and you in a full length black dress! :)
look forward to more.....

Hi Elle
Glad you like the photos.
The black "dress" I'm wearing is actually my Iranian chador, under Sharia law, it's still forbidden for women to be in public without being covered up and trousers on their own don't count! My head had to be covered as well, so I wore the black headscarf all the time, even under my helmet.
I have to confess that my chador is 14 years old from the last time I crossed Iran so it's a bit frumpy by contemporary Iranian standards, but it suits me as it goes over my bike gear and it washes well, wich is always an important consideration with off-road clothing:D!

IMG1775-L.jpg

and some from Tajikistan and the Wakhan Valley

IMG1847-L.jpg

P1020076-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom