Number plate storage unit

Hi guy, the interest looks strong but as you say, dependant on price. I'm waiting to get an updated cost for the box manufacture and i'll research the other bits today so I should have a good idea by tomorrow of the basic cost. Like i said I will keep it as low as possible on this site as you guys are helping me develop it and its original design was for the GS:):bow

Andy T - My original reasoning was that when I left all my panniers at the campsite if I went out for a blast I would always have the legal stuff and basic running items on the bike without having to strap it down anyhwere..i.e - bulbs, tyre guage, hi-vis, docs, oil, basic tools, etc. When not touring I stick energy bars, spare mobile and few simple tools and first aid stuff in for general riding.

RCE - I asked the same question at the MOT station and he was happy for it to pass (passed 2 test to date)

Mike P - Mike, I had seen the HB one a few years back which gave me the idea but they looked a bit flimsy and not secure enough for what I required. The security and water proofing was more important for me.
How have you found the unit, Do you use it for any other purposes like myself or just the first aid kit. One guy said he'd keep his fags, spare gloves and a spare mobile and chargers in there. One idea I thought of doing was running a 12V socket inside so that Mobile gadgets could be charged while you are out riding! Especially handy on tour? Would this appeal to any body?

I'll strip my unit tonight to give you a better idea on fitting, size and weight and i'll take a few pics to illustrate it.

All good feed back guys, Any recommendations about improving the unit...Size, colour, 12v socket etc. open to ideas:)

I'd advise people that if your pannier system doesn't have a brace-bar across the back for the box to rest against, be careful how much weight you hang from what is just a piece of unsupported plastic.

Just what I thought. The 1200GSA appears to have a cross brace, while the 1200GS doesn't...

Mark C said:
One idea I thought of doing was running a 12V socket inside so that Mobile gadgets could be charged while you are out riding! Especially handy on tour? Would this appeal to any body?

Now THAT'S a GREAT idea. Just make sure it doesn't trip the canbus..

Originally Posted by Mark C
One idea I thought of doing was running a 12V socket inside so that Mobile gadgets could be charged while you are out riding! Especially handy on tour? Would this appeal to any body?

Now THAT'S a GREAT idea. Just make sure it doesn't trip the canbus..

Now thats where I'd need some advice. I ran my GPS straight from the back of the fitted 12v socket and not had any problems but not sure of the installation procedure of adding another socket. Again if there is enough interest i can add that as an option and fully research it.:teacher

Mike P - Mike, I had seen the HB one a few years back which gave me the idea but they looked a bit flimsy and not secure enough for what I required. The security and water proofing was more important for me.
How have you found the unit, Do you use it for any other purposes like myself or just the first aid kit.
Mark, I use it for the First-Aid kit (mainly to meet any Euro-Regs) but it is one place I carry duplicate documents when travelling.

It isn't terribly secure but it is pretty discreet owing to the size. Put it this way, only one person has ever noticed it to the point of asking me what it is and it's not been tampered with in six years or so.

It seems to be water-proof enough but I did use some black body sealer around each of the fixings just to be sure (given that it sits in any spray from the wheel.

I have a narrow, plastic, locking box on mine.

It isn't terribly secure but it is pretty discreet owing to the size. Put it this way, only one person has ever noticed it to the point of asking me what it is and it's not been tampered with in six years or so.

Hi Mike, i've had the same experience with my unit as you have by the sounds of it. Noboby has ever just "noticed" it and its never been touched in 3 years. When I have pointed it out its all been positive comments so i've decided to get of my arse and offer it as an option because I really do think it has enhanced my storage options and made things a lot easier.

Dont know how this will go down but here goes...:goodnight..Do you think sports bike riders would use this as they have practically zero storage??:augie

Great anti-theft device for all you 1200 owners with a touring Scottoiler fitted:clap

Dont know how this will go down but here goes...:goodnight..Do you think sports bike riders would use this as they have practically zero storage??:augie

But their plates are the size of fag packets and think of the weight gain! your bike will only make about 190mph with one of those fitted!

Seriously though - good idea.

But their plates are the size of fag packets and think of the weight gain! your bike will only make about 190mph with one of those fitted!

you're right...bad idea lol:blast

I'm based in the manchester area if anyone wants to take a look at the unit!!
:tarka

Hi,

I might be interested inone of these, I've got the full luggage but its all the stuff that sites in the top box I'd like to move somewhere else!

Back
Top Bottom