Number plate storage unit

Mark C

Reaction score
Secured/ Waterproof Number plate Storage box
Hi guys, just thought i'd run a product I had prototyped a few years ago past you guys and see if there is any interest in me producing a batch for sale (Which was my initial intention). I did a couple of euro tours and felt that I could add a bit of extra storage to my bike (1200GS) to the number plate area which would allow ease of access for small tools, documents and emergency items like first aid items...and so on. My step father owns a sheet metal fabrication business so the process was easily arranged and designed and with a few small tweaks I feel the the product is a fab option for all bikes not just for touring as even if you head off with out the panniers you can still carry the essentials, (Bulbs, oil, docs, etc.) in a secure and waterproof unit. The prototype has been fitted for nearly 3 years now and I've got to say that for me its been really handy and whenever I've spoken to fellow riders i've had nothing but positive comments. The units are made from a high grade aluminium, are precision machine bent and welded with a high grade "U" section for water sealing. The box is sized for standard regulation plates and is fitted using the existing holes. I've gone with the standard black Powder coating and once it is fitted it really blends in with the bike. I could look at silver if that has any interest. I'm eager to have some feed back on this idea and if there is an interest in it. What do you guys think...???:thumb:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 6,895
  • IMG_3874.JPG
    IMG_3874.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 6,569
  • IMG_3881.JPG
    IMG_3881.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 7,061
  • IMG_3879.JPG
    IMG_3879.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 6,923
  • IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 6,564
Last edited:
Hey Mark, Looks like a great idea. What does it weigh? Is it attached to the original number plate holder? If you got enough folk interested, do you have a guide price? I ride an F650GS, so I would be interested in dimensions, weight, etc. RobA.

Looks good! Defo interested, i have small pelican case with disk lock at moment but thats not really big enough......

How much we looking at?:thumb

Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.:thumb:thumb I've made the prototype to the size of my original plate which is 9" x 7.5" and to a depth of 70mm which I thought was a reasonable place to start. I could increase the depth for more storage capacity dependant on feed back from you guys. It really is what you guys require.:bow:bow

As for the weight it really is minimal. I didn't think to weigh the box before I fitted it but its made of aluminium so its very light and strong.

Price wise, it really depends on the interest and the size of the order. A batch of 10 would leave me barely breaking even for the price I think would suit but if there is a little bit more interest say if I ordered a batch of 40/50 that would allow me to offer it at a much cheaper rate. I should be able to get a better idea on price in next few days and will check on the cost of manufacturing these at today's prices. Bare with me i'm new to all this manufacturing business ....lol

I'll update as soon as I get the info.:thumb:thumb

Cheers, Mark

Like it a lot.

Worst bit of the move to a GS was the lack of any underseat space. Fills that gap nicely.

I'll check my 1200RT holder size - but yes, I'm interested too

Any reason why the hinges couldn't go at the bottom for downward opening?

Was it only me thinking "why on earth would you want to keep your number plate in a box"........:blast

Novel idea but not sure whats wrong with a top box or am i missing something..

you would get more mumber plates in a top box as well :hide

Like it, only slight issue would be the rear plate not being correctly illuminated.

I have a narrow, plastic, locking box on mine. It contains a small First-Aid kit. I believe HG used to sell them (I got mine from Whatton who I believe had more than one at the time, so I'm not certain of the actual source).

i-nMXptwH-M.jpg

I'd advise people that if your pannier system doesn't have a brace-bar across the back for the box to rest against, be careful how much weight you hang from what is just a piece of unsupported plastic.

A couple of P-Clips onto any brace-bar adds support.

II believe HG used to sell them (I got mine from Whatton who I believe had more than one at the time, so I'm not certain of the actual source).

I remember them from a couple of years ago when they were the current flavour of the month, a bit like the tool tubes :D

Back
Top Bottom