North West to Northumberland?

Mad Mac

Reaction score
Looking for inspiration for a ride out through Trough of Bowland, Yorkshire Dales,and onwards to the southern edge of Northumberland.
Riding out from Wirral, and wanting a max of 400 miles (1 day ride for the return) and happy to run out and back at the southern end on the M6 to make the miles. Anyone got any ideas, Garmin track logs, ideas of favourite roads? For example I'm told the Penrith to Haydon Bridge road is great......oh yes....on road only please.....

Dunsop Bridge, Slaidburn, Settle, Dent, over Garsdale Fell (Dent Station) to Hawes.
Over Buttertubs Pass to Keld. Tan Hill. Brough. Middleton-in-Teesdale, Stanhope, Blanchland, Chollerford, Haydon Bridge, then A686 to Alston, over Hartside to Langwathby, Temple Sowerby, Appleby then Tebay.
Kirkby Lonsdale for a brew, over the Trough and you're back at Dunsop Bridge. Centre of GB.

Dunsop Bridge, Slaidburn, Settle, Dent, over Garsdale Fell (Dent Station) to Hawes.
Over Buttertubs Pass to Keld. Tan Hill. Brough. Middleton-in-Teesdale, Stanhope, Blanchland, Chollerford, Haydon Bridge, then A686 to Alston, over Hartside to Langwathby, Temple Sowerby, Appleby then Tebay.
Kirkby Lonsdale for a brew, over the Trough and you're back at Dunsop Bridge. Centre of GB.

Aye that'd work.

Don't be worried by the absence of traffic.

:beerjug:

Looking for inspiration for a ride out through Trough of Bowland, Yorkshire Dales,and onwards to the southern edge of Northumberland.
Riding out from Wirral, and wanting a max of 400 miles (1 day ride for the return) and happy to run out and back at the southern end on the M6 to make the miles. Anyone got any ideas, Garmin track logs, ideas of favourite roads? For example I'm told the Penrith to Haydon Bridge road is great......oh yes....on road only please.....

when you do it, give me a shout if you want a co-pilot....

Top route, alternative in red...
Over Buttertubs Pass to Keld. Tan Hill. Brough. Middleton-in-Teesdale, Stanhope, Blanchland, Chollerford, Haydon Bridge, then A686 to Alston, over Hartside to Langwathby, Penrith, A6 to Shap, B6261 to Tebay, head toward Kirby Stephen and A683 to Sedbergh, Kirkby Lonsdale for a brew, over the Trough and you're back at Dunsop Bridge. Centre of GB.

:thumb

Did it a couple of weeks ago, with the Kielder loop thrown in. You'd struggle on your bus though...

233 miles plus getting to and from Dunsop Bridge. Could do A59 to Sawley then Forset Becks through Wigglesworth and Rathmell to Settle instead (but the A59's boring).

Wow guys great input.....will let you all know when I'm doing it and then anyone can arrange to join for all or part........
Been a long day and I'm so knackered I can hardly see.....so watch this space......

Included this in a trip up from Derbyshire to Whitby, then across to Alston, then down this route to Clitheroe. A big thanks for the suggestion, it was absolutely fantastic, loved every minute, proper GS roads. Made the M6 journey back down in Friday afternoon traffic worth it!

:beerjug:

Day ooot

Another one here from Wirral Island up for playing out:beerjug:

I did this back end of september off the back of this thread... fantastic roads thanks for the rout :cool:

Back
Top Bottom