Exmoor Explorer Off Road

Thanks for the offer to help Ricky, the pogo chaps will be missing some lovely trails. Feel free to drop in for the social aspect of the weekend... or you could come walking with the really tough off roaders!
Recce walk around 10-15 miles tomorrow, stopping at Tarr Farm for lunchables.:beer:

Its a long drive But.......

Looks like to much fun to miss :bow

So put me down on the Xchallenge. Nether a big or small bike, its just right :cool:

Any ideas what time your heading out? Looks like ill be driving down after work on the Friday then back ready for work on the Sunday :eek: unless i manage to wrangle some more days off. :augie

Looks like to much fun to miss :bow

So put me down on the Xchallenge. Nether a big or small bike, its just right :cool:

Any ideas what time your heading out? Looks like ill be driving down after work on the Friday then back ready for work on the Sunday :eek: unless i manage to wrangle some more days off. :augie

Good stuff :thumb2

Should imagine we'll look at an 0930 - 1630 day.

Your looking a bit peaky, sure you don't have a bit of a bug coming on?

Right quick update

Been out today (first chance I have had for ages) and checked out five new trails. I have ruled out two, one came to a dead end despite what the map said in what can be best described as a farm from the 1800's complete with farmer who I stopped and chatted too for a few mins. God knows how some of these old fellas survive.

I am now thinking that we should maybe have two off road rides, this one on Saturday which is SE of the campsite and another on Sunday which is NW.

I will try to work out a rough idea of the mileage for Saturday (which would be the slightly longer of the two and at a rough guess 80 miles with 15+ sections) and then hopefully get up to North Devon with Sid and check out the ten or so trails up there that I have never seen. However if this isn't possible it may even be fun to just do Sunday blind and try them all together for the first time.

Saturdays ride will be a combination of hopefully nice fast twisty roads, tiny lanes, do'able trails and a couple of rivers.

As Sid has already said this will not suit a GS owner who hasn't taken his bike off road before, it will not suit a GS rider who isn't afraid to drop his bike at some point during the day and TKC's or similar are a must.

The good news is however, when you drop your bike (and we've all done it many times) there will be folk to help you, laugh at you and take photos of you.

I think by splitting the ride into two days we can have a more relaxed time, stop for plenty of photos, have a nice lunch somewhere and be back for early beers.

Remember this is not Hampshire and Wiltshire, this is Somerset and Devon. The trails are not flat, fast chalk and gravel. Some can be rocky, muddy and in places a bit steep.

Proposed pub for lunch is the Raleghs Cross Inn (http://www.raleghscross.co.uk/index) which is after about 45 miles and a dozen sections. Then another 5 or 6 after lunch with a cup of tea and a slice of cake at Tarr Steps (Britains oldest bridge) and a chance to have a laugh at those brave enough to try a river crossing.

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 241
Looks good. Shame I couldn't join you today but I've been busy elsewhere all this week.

Raced bike last weekend, crashed but walked away without a scratch. Today I had to push a disabled lad in a wheelchair which had no brakes down a steep slope. I managed to lose control of the wheel chair and tip it over backwards. I fell under the chair and managed to crack my knees, rip my trousers and badly bruise my left hand. Bleeding from hand and knee.:( Lad in wheelchair was unhurt fortunately.:)

Think, I stick to racing motorbikes, its much safer.:)

Apologies: Tidying up Photobucket and deleted the forum album that contained the photos on this thread.

New album.

014.jpg

011-Copy.jpg

013-Copy.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

002-Copy.jpg

003.jpg

018.jpg

can I ask where these lanes are as I didn't think there were any boats on Exmoor anymore?

Not with-in the NP.

I think we are going to have a 'planned' (in the loosest sense of the word) ride on Saturday where we will take in lanes to the east of the campsite. There are a couple near to the campsite, a few between the B3227 and the North Devon link rd, half a dozen around Bampton, a few above Wiveliscombe then over to Tarr steps.

Want the day to be relaxed, easy pace, plenty of short stops, challenging in a couple of places but not silly and not overly long. I reckon probably about 80-90 miles total.

The plan for sunday is ... there isn't one.

I'm sure Sid knows some of the lanes around N.Devon, I have quite a few marked on my map around Barnstaple but have never ridden any of them. What I suggest is who ever fancies it, we leave the site site at 10am, go explore and ride them together for the first time, have a nice lunch somewhere and be back to the pub/campsite for a beer by 4pm.

Looking at the map Sunday will be less miles.

To give you a rough idea of the mileages between sections on Saturday...

Campsite - 1 = 3
1-2 = 2
2-3 = 3
3-4 = 8
4-5 = 1
5-6 = 7
6-7 = 2
7-8 = 0.5
8-9 = 0.5
9-10 = 2
10- stream = 4
stream-11 = 10
11-12 = 0.5
12-lunch = 1
lunch-13 = 2
13-14 = 5
14-15 = 8
15-ford = 3
ford-river crossing (optional) = 8
r/c-section 1 reversed = 10
1R-campsite = 3

So I reckon 85 to 100 miles.

As stated before Sunday is shorter, made up as we go along and we all see and ride them for the first time together.

Looking like ...

Me - TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - XR250
Cookieboy - WR250
Paintman - TE630
Ross Dean - 990 Adv
Ditchwater - 1150GSA
RD - TE450
Ferret - XChallenge
IJGser - XChallenge

Looking like ...

Me - TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - XR250
Cookieboy - WR250
Paintman - TE630
Ross Dean - 990 Adv
Ditchwater - 1150GSA
RD - TE450
Ferret - XChallenge
IJGser - XChallenge

Ditchy - might decide to ride his new TTR600. :augie

Looking like ...

Me - TTR600
Sid - 1100GS
Johnnyboxer - XR250
Cookieboy - WR250
Paintman - TE630
Ross Dean - 990 Adv
Ditchwater - TTR600 or 1150
RD - TE450
Ferret - XChallenge
IJGser - XChallenge
Mikeyboy - funduro

And I reckon thats enough really.

The day will be relaxed, easy pace, plenty of short stops, challenging in a couple of places but not silly and not overly long.
I reckon probably about 80-90 miles total.
Aim to leave the campsite at 10am.

Went to take the bike for its MOT today and for the first time the bloody thing wouldn't start.
Taken to the garage on the trailer for them to hopefully find out what wrong.
Fingers crossed.

Went to take the bike for its MOT today and for the first time the bloody thing wouldn't start.
Taken to the garage on the trailer for them to hopefully find out what wrong.
Fingers crossed.

is your bike sorted?how has the weather been down there?all the lanes around my way are flooded:mad:.mud glorious mud:blast

Back
Top Bottom