THE ROUTES...39 PASSES...2,200 miles

Enjoy the peace and quiet :)

I'll try and spoil that shall I..............
Zumo 660 updated maps-installed :thumb2
Latest-latest-latest-latest routes downloaded :rolleyes: :thumb2

Routes loaded onto Zumo?
I know I'm not alone here.......
Zumo appears to be loading-takes an age and then decides the file is too big :blast

So.......buy an 8 or was it a 4 Gig micro SD card, load routes onto micro SD and install SD card into Zumo, presto hey it all appears to work o.k.
Question-will it work :confused:

Now completed day 2. Guys you are going to love the route, just watch out for the road that bans motorcycles about 5 miles from the end. You're banned on weekends and bank holidays, guess what, it's a bank holiday today.... Very nice cops, who liked the BMW and sent me on my way with cheer even permitting me to stay on the banned route. Am staying in campsite opposite hotel tonight for a change. Great day, great route, love it love it love it ������

I'll try and spoil that shall I..............
Zumo 660 updated maps-installed :thumb2
Latest-latest-latest-latest routes downloaded :rolleyes: :thumb2

Routes loaded onto Zumo?
I know I'm not alone here.......
Zumo appears to be loading-takes an age and then decides the file is too big :blast

So.......buy an 8 or was it a 4 Gig micro SD card, load routes onto micro SD and install SD card into Zumo, presto hey it all appears to work o.k.
Question-will it work :confused:

Yeah, it'll work :eek :friday

For those that don't know already, the Zumo 660 will only store 10 routes on its internal memory. You will need a 4 or 8Gb micro SD card and use MapSource (or BaseCamp for MAcs) to transfer the routes to the SD card, not the Zumo (or BMW Navigator 99 or whatever it is :comfort).

Then import from the My Data/Import Data/Routes option on the Zumo, and they will eventually appear under Custom Routes.

The Garmin may say it's recalculating, but it's not actually changing the route, just mapping it internally. The 13 route files will take a few minutes to 'recalculate', but all should be well.

If in doubt, call Garmin Support on 0808 238 0000. I'm happy to help too, if I can, but I have a hectic few days coming up.

And my new Tourance EXP front tyre (fitted last week and covered 72 miles) keeps going flat with no sign of a physical puncture :confused: So need to sort that. :cool:

Now completed day 2. Guys you are going to love the route, just watch out for the road that bans motorcycles about 5 miles from the end. You're banned on weekends and bank holidays, guess what, it's a bank holiday today.... Very nice cops, who liked the BMW and sent me on my way with cheer even permitting me to stay on the banned route. Am staying in campsite opposite hotel tonight for a change. Great day, great route, love it love it love it ������

Glad you're enjoying the ride :)

I did the Luxembourg-into-Germany bit a couple of years ago, by accident, and loved every metre of it.

Didn't go as far then as this route, but thanks for the heads-up :thumb2

Enjoy!

Yeah, it'll work :eek :friday

For those that don't know already, the Zumo 660 will only store 10 routes on its internal memory. You will need a 4 or 8Gb micro SD card and use MapSource (or BaseCamp for MAcs) to transfer the routes to the SD card, not the Zumo (or BMW Navigator 99 or whatever it is :comfort).

Then import from the My Data/Import Data/Routes option on the Zumo, and they will eventually appear under Custom Routes.

The Garmin may say it's recalculating, but it's not actually changing the route, just mapping it internally. The 13 route files will take a few minutes to 'recalculate', but all should be well.

If in doubt, call Garmin Support on 0808 238 0000. I'm happy to help too, if I can, but I have a hectic few days coming up.

And my new Tourance EXP front tyre (fitted last week and covered 72 miles) keeps going flat with no sign of a physical puncture :confused: So need to sort that. :cool:

Garmin software is certainly "different"!!!

just spent a couple of days loading it onto new pc, and getting it to run is a deep joy!

anyway finally got it running ok, on the latest version, both on zumo and pc, download the route files to zumo.
"what happened was"...
zumo loads them onto sd card ( you need to use the all in one file that mark created)
then go to "my data", where you will see them all, tap screen to check the box next to each route, zumo then tells you it is recalculating (its not really!)
and after an ice age passes by glacially slow, and it finishes whatever it was doing, if you tap "custom routes", there they all are!!!
at least, thats what appears to happen, I have selected one or two of the routes and previewed them to see if they "work" and all seems well, but with such clunky gear you never know!

anyways, if you need to have a chat about it, pm me contact details and we can have a look,(bearing in mind my mediocre understanding of computers ( I thought I understand quite a bit until I tried to use garmin stuff!)

russ

these new fanged things seem to get ever more idiosyncratic.

I loaded the file provided into Mapsource. Ran the recalculate routine to match them to my older non-NT data. Uploaded the file to the dear old 2610 and hey presto, ready to roll. Took about 7 minutes.

I had this happen to me with an EXP, the cause was too many rubber needles (the little rubber strips that stick out when the tyre is released from the mould) preventing the bead from sealing against the wheel rim, spray some soapy water around the tyre bead/wheel rim area and look for bubbles ;)
Be careful when adding air to the tyre, most garage forecourt air lines will not fit between the wheel spokes and as the tyre valve is made of cheese they are easy to break-if you break it it's new valve-new tyre pressure sensor and a session at your dealers to get the new TPS to talk to the bike's brain DAMHIK :blast

these new fanged things seem to get ever more idiosyncratic.

I loaded the file provided into Mapsource. Ran the recalculate routine to match them to my older non-NT data. Uploaded the file to the dear old 2610 and hey presto, ready to roll. Took about 7 minutes.

2610 is very much missed, here....I thought i was buying an improved version of it, you know, more memory, faster refresh, bigger screen, touch screen access easy with gloves, etc.....what i end up with is a little box that does some things very well, but requires user to waste large amounts of valuable time and effort overcoming sh*t software design and cr*p user friendliness:blast

Oh, and all the current maps won't fit on it without delving into deleting files which conatin features that were supposed to be some of its main "improvements":confused:

I had this happen to me with an EXP, the cause was too many rubber needles (the little rubber strips that stick out when the tyre is released from the mould) preventing the bead from sealing against the wheel rim, spray some soapy water around the tyre bead/wheel rim area and look for bubbles ;)
Be careful when adding air to the tyre, most garage forecourt air lines will not fit between the wheel spokes and as the tyre valve is made of cheese they are easy to break-if you break it it's new valve-new tyre pressure sensor and a session at your dealers to get the new TPS to talk to the bike's brain DAMHIK :blast

Cheers, Steve. I shall know tomorrow...

:)

2610 is very much missed, here....I thought i was buying an improved version of it, you know, more memory, faster refresh, bigger screen, touch screen access easy with gloves, etc.....what i end up with is a little box that does some things very well, but requires user to waste large amounts of valuable time and effort overcoming sh*t software design and cr*p user friendliness:blast

Oh, and all the current maps won't fit on it without delving into deleting files which conatin features that were supposed to be some of its main "improvements":confused:

Agreed. But still miles better than a Tom Tom :) :cool:

Regarding the file space issue, there is a workaround to either install all the maps on a microSD card (8Gb version is good) or install all maps in MapSource (or BaseCamp if a Mac) and only UK & Ireland maps on the 660, transferring across only the maps you need for each route, as we did in the good old days of yore and the mighty Quest and 2610.

Not great, I know, and even though I'm on my fifth replacement 660 :eek: I still have a little fondness for them :comfort

9 more sleeps :JB:ChrisKelly:hug

Last edited:
Please let me give the Zumo 660 users a few of tips.

Take a laptop with your current mapping on it and at least two independent sources of the intended routes.

Make sure the routes match the maps on the 660 and the laptop ie same year/version… check it, then check again

Upload your routes from the laptop direct to the 660, do not upload them from a card as they will very likely be corrupted when the 660 recalculates them.

Test all the routes you intend using on your 660, just to make sure its happy with them.

Have a great trip.

Please let me give the Zumo 660 users a few of tips.

Take a laptop with your current mapping on it and at least two independent sources of the intended routes.

Make sure the routes match the maps on the 660 and the laptop ie same year/version… check it, then check again

Upload your routes from the laptop direct to the 660, do not upload them from a card as they will very likely be corrupted when the 660 recalculates them.

Test all the routes you intend using on your 660, just to make sure its happy with them.

Have a great trip.

Laptop?? I barely have enough room for a gentleman traveller's essentials like fragrances, ointments, essential oils, and such like! :eek:

Good point, though, thank you :thumb

PS - have you ever managed to 'share' routes successfully?
Yes, often, but the routes need recalculating to match other peoples version of the mapping. Watch the length of the route before and after recalculation, if it changes significantly try and see where the changes have occurred and pin the route with via points (on the PC of course).

Two weeks back I was in France when the 660 decided to loose half the stored routes, I reloaded them in 10 mins in the hotel room, but really Garmin have some very very dodgy gear these days and its best to expect the worst, then you won’t be disappointed :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom