camping fodder

We found the "look what we found" meals to be great, loads of choice, easy to cook and taste great. This is mainly what we ate going around Europe for 2 weeks when we camped.
ditto twice, took about ten of these to Norway, as it was too expensive to eat out, did them with couscous to bulk it up.

and the website....
http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/Index.aspx

they do multi paks online. I got a tonne BOGOF at sainsburys, and i'm still eating one a week at work.

I like to try and take all of my food with me apart from fresh water.
1 loaf or bread kept in a tupperware type container.

dried milk,coffee,tea,sweetner,again kept in containers and try to take about the amount I'll need.
Individual packs of flora and jam.

porridge oats,
dried pasta,
2 Packets of Tilda steamed rice.
5 pack of snickers,
5 pack of cereal bars.
Packet of 4 weight watchers nan breads. there just the right size to wrap in a bit of tin foil and warm up in a frying pan.
2 tins of tuna
2 tins of mackrel in tomato sauce.
1 jar of pesto.
2 tins of tomatoes emptied into an airtight container
1 tin tesco veg curry (it's suprisingly good)
dried mushrooms.
mixed herbs.

The makings of some very nice meals and will easily cover me for 5 nights camping.
I don't bother to much with lunch but if I come across some fresh fruit on the way I'll have some.

Steve

If you're in the Lancs area Booths supermarkets are doing "look what we found" for half price i.e. 99p and £1.49. Long dates on them from Sept 2012 to Jan 2013.

Mark

dried mushrooms, dried tomatoes, dried peppers, stock cube, kuskus, chilly oil, spotka or that dried salami style meat and water. throw it all in one pot takes about ten minutes to boil up and it's done... easy to chew...

tastes alright...:thumb2

Spot on :thumb2

Couscous is great camp 'starch' - doesn't need cooking - just rehydrating in boiling water, light, packs small.

My 'spicy couscous' recipe - does two of us with healthy appetites for an evening meal:

• One onion, chopped
  • One red or green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon of whole spices (a little nalgene pot full of mixed cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom pods last ages)
  • One dried red chilli crushed
  • Whatever protein you want to put in there, or have to hand - I've done it with fish I've caught, chorizo, salami, fresh or ready cooked chicken, canned fish etc. Whatever it is, chop if fairly small so it cooks quickly. If you don't have (or don't want) meat just add more chopped veg instead.
  • 1/2 mug of quick cook couscous
  • 1 mug boiling water with a chicken stock cube dissolved in it.
  • Freshly ground black pepper

In a saucepan, heat a little oil and fry the whole spices and chilli for a few seconds.
Add the chopped onion and pepper and fry until soft.
Add the 'protein' if using (or more chopped veg) and fry till cooked through (go easy if you're using fish as it'll cook quickly and fall to bits - still tastes fine but it'll lose its texture).
Take the pan off the burner and boil a kettle of water - crumble your stock cube into a mug of boiling water.
Put the pan back on a gentle heat and add 1/2 mug of couscous, add the mug of water / stock.
Bring back to a gentle simmer, give it a good stir and immediately take off the heat / turn the burner off.
Add a quick grind of black pepper, leave it for 5 minutes (even better if you have an insulating jacket for your pan), stir again and eat

Good bike camping staples:

Quick cook couscous.
Spanish dried chorizo (very tasty and doesn't need refrigeration - must be the 'dried' not 'cooking' chorizo though).
A fresh onion (replenish as you are able - it's always good to have one 'in stock').
A few cloves of garlic.
A little pot of dried indian spices.
A few dried Kashmiri chillies (the long dark red ones).
A few chicken stock cubes.
A little bottle of tabasco (livens up bland stuff).
A little black pepper mill (as above, makes a big difference if you're forced to eat bland food).
Jar of pataks curry paste (decanted into plastic for weight reduction)

Add whatever you can buy / catch / forage locally to some of the above and you have several quick tasty meal options. Canned chickpeas and canned tomatoes are sold in just about every little grocers shop these days - one each of these added to some of the above makes a good, filling meat free curry.

ditto twice, took about ten of these to Norway, as it was too expensive to eat out, did them with couscous to bulk it up.

and the website....
http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/Index.aspx

they do multi paks online. I got a tonne BOGOF at sainsburys, and i'm still eating one a week at work.
Currently 25% off during March, free postage for orders over £30
All taste really superb

Currently 25% off during March, free postage for orders over £30
All taste really superb

I ordered a couple of days ago this years supply, new foods too and I even got the sauces for other meals and BBQ's.:thumb2

tucker

Try This:

Pasta
matassons smoked sausage cut into thick slices
Fresh Tomatoes (chopped but still chunky)
A few herbs or chilli if you want to spice it up
Good slug of Olive oil

Cook Pasta and drain
chuck in the Toms, sausage, oil and herbs into the pot
Stir and continue to cook over a low heat untill the tomatoes start to mush

Serve with good slab of fresh bread and a glass of vin rouge

Eat hot and save any left overs for a cold lunch next day

Tasty
Colts:thumb

Tins are good, because when you opt out of camp cooking to go to the pub they will keep until next time. I like:

4 mini nan breads toasted on a toasting pyramid, dipped into M&S tinned chicken curry.

Tinned Chilli poured over doritos

Heinz beans with sausages

But don't forget the tin opener!:blast

For proper outdoor types; Toasting pyramid toast with fresh picked mushrooms fried with garlic, butter, parsley, salt and pepper. I've accidentally tried the wrong fungus too... very spewey!:eek:

"look what we found" pouches on offer in sainsburys for £1
expiry date jan 2013

mushy pea curry sounds horrible but very nice and easy to cook

1 tin of mushy peas
1 tin of baked beans
1 onion
curry powder

1 x boil in the bag rice

Prump!

Do you travel alone?

QUOTE=STUBBS;3032782]mushy pea curry sounds horrible but very nice and easy to cook

1 tin of mushy peas
1 tin of baked beans
1 onion
curry powder

1 x boil in the bag rice[/QUOTE]

Do you travel alone?

QUOTE=STUBBS;3032782]mushy pea curry sounds horrible but very nice and easy to cook

1 tin of mushy peas
1 tin of baked beans
1 onion
curry powder

1 x boil in the bag rice
[/QUOTE]

forgot the mushrooms, garlic, chilli powder and tinned tomatos:blast

I like to boil up some pasta, drain and cover.
Then a small tin of chopped toms, good glug of passata and a healthy blob of tom puree with garlic, with a small tin of tuna and a spinkling of mixed meditteranean herbs. Heat that all through then re-add pasta and stir for a couple of mins.

That or

a potato, a carrot or swede...chopped to small pieces.....veggie oxo cube......cook through until just before done...then add a couple of chopped up ( good quality, not the cheap stuff ) bockwurst/bratwurst...simmer for a minute and serve :)

I recently got some dried meals from www.ultralightoutdoorgear.com - Adventure Food & Expedition Foods brands. Mate got Wayfarer heat-in-the-bag meals (not dried, not sure of vendor). Both of us though they were all fantastic, and I'm a fussy eater. All three brands recommended. :thumb2

Stagg Chilli, served with pitta breads stuffed with cheese
stagga.jpg

A bit heavy, but quick to heat and eat, washed-down of course :beer:

I usually use the Porridge pots (Scott's So-Easy) for breakfast, with a banana and tea...

Back
Top Bottom