R1200GS Adv motor cutting out (2008 MK II)

Tony Smith

de-Smiffy
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone experience the same problem or found a solution to the motor cutting out when down shifting or slowing down (intermittently)?

I have discussed this with North Oxford Garage (NOG) who have had the same issue with other customers, but, have no solution to it, yet.

Nothing is showing on the fault diagnostics when linked to the Canbus.

It only happens when down shifting, normally when slowing down for an island or junction and generally between third and second.

The motor just cuts out and cannot be started unless neutral is engaged. It is not an easy start either. Very lumpy and reluctant and very slow.

I have tried dropping the clutch for a bump start whilst I still have momentum to no avail (totally dead motor).

I cant decide if it is an electrical fault or petrol?

A couple of time it has been downright f*ck*ng :censor:dangerous and I am beginning to lose faith in an otherwise fantastic bike.

NOG thought that it may be a battery issue, however, after 24 months it had a new battery fitted, as such the battery should be ok particularly as it is fitted to an Optimate IV Canbus compatible.

It was reacting like this before I used the Optimate IV.

It has not been as bad since I used the Optimate, so it could be a battery issue?????

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Tony.

Had same problem, no particular reason why but generally when engine was warm/hot. Problem disappeared after the ecu was replaced for an unrelated problem, but having said that the bike didn't seem right for quite a while.

Sounds electrical to me. These sporadic problems are always the hardest to find. Good luck getting it sorted

Had same problem, no particular reason why but generally when engine was warm/hot. Problem disappeared after the ecu was replaced for an unrelated problem, but having said that the bike didn't seem right for quite a while.
Thanks Guys, if I get this sorted, I'll let people know.

Interesting that a replacement ECU did the trick, NOG recommended a battery change as they resolved the same problem with another bike.

They also thought that it could be the ECU.

Can you remember the cost of the ECU?

The other resolution they recommended was to change the bike!!!!!

Cheers,
T.

Thanks Guys, if I get this sorted, I'll let people know.

Interesting that a replacement ECU did the trick, NOG recommended a battery change as they resolved the same problem with another bike.

They also thought that it could be the ECU.

Can you remember the cost of the ECU?

The other resolution they recommended was to change the bike!!!!!

Cheers,
T.
Had this exact fault on my 2009 GSA - which wouldn't of course show up at the dealers. Made me lose confidence in the bike (I can remember to this day it dying in most small villages I slowed into in France!) and so I followed 'their' recommendation and chopped it in for a new one, which, thank God, has no similar mannerisms.

Same problem here on a 10 plate turned out to be the Pedomitor was slightly of when I Fitted a cover ☺

I had exactly the same issue for some time on my '08 GSA and have tried different combinations of exhaust, headers etc. The only combination I can fit which prevents this occuring is Remus headers, Akra can (with baffle), K&N filter, Iridium plugs and a Wunderlich Power Controller. With this combination it doesn't stall, with any other combination it did. My guess is its to do with fueling but I have found that the stalling returns if I take the baffle out of the Akra, so maybe backpressure is also involved.

Interesting note about the Akrapovic can (Beemerman).

I have been running mine without the baffle as it sounds so great.

I never had any issues with the standard can for the first 18 months, then upgraded to the Akrapovic (slip on can that needed no engine management alterations according to the manual and it has had 3 BMW services with it on, possibly with the baffle in).

I put the baffle back in yesterday and rode for 165 miles with no issues, however, I am not sure if when the baffle was fitted historically it stalled or not.

Looks like I'll have to run it with the baffle in and see if the issue returns (pity, because, it sounds so good). If it does, back to the drawing board eh?

Thanks for that.

Standby for an update.

Cheers,
T.

My 2008 GSA had the same symptoms last year whilst touring Scotlandshire, shortly followed by the RHS Lambda probe and Lower Coil dying. An easy fix, new parts and it was cured.

Tony,

Mine was probably the other NOG bike. I had it happen a couple of times in 30k miles on my 2005 RT but it started to become regular on my 08 GSA and, as you say, quite scary on occasions. Always when slowing down and 99% of the time changing from 3rd to 2nd. Changed something on RHS which I can not now recall (but which Matt could tell you) with no effect.

Tried changing the battery - seemed to help for a while but then problem recurred.

Have now changed bike (not specifically because of this problem) and no problems - touch wood.

Seemed to be a combined electrical and fuelling issue to my mind but never did find out what.

Usually no fault stored. When there was on 2 occasions, it was low battery. But I still thinks that, at best, this was only a contributory factor. It seemed to be worse after a service and then would settle down for a while before reappearing.

It's very frustrating I know and, because, it is intermittent, it lulls you into a false sense of security before catching you unawares. :)

no idea how much the ecu change was as have extended warranty but like all the others no faults ever stored. new ecu no problemsto date however only done 5k since on bike with 36k on it.

One of my mates has had a intermittent stalling problem on his 10 GSA with 16k miles on it.

His bike will just cut out at any time, but usually when changing down and/or blipping the throttle. It happens at any speed and any engine temp.:confused:

The engine cuts out for second, then starts again. or sometimes he has to restart it.

He's put up with this for months now, and BMW are clueless as to the cause.

Its going back to the dealer again on Tuesday, so they can have another look.

I've never experienced this on any of my GS's/GSA.

:Motomartin

I've been experiencing the same problem for over 9 months now, did all the usual bits in a service (air filter, plugs, valve gaps, balanced the throttles ) and the problem still persisted.
Eventually got round to RGM (Roy) who pluuged her in and diagnosed a lambda sensor fault, fault codes were cancelled and she's now running better although I'm waiting to see if the fault re-appears before spending £125 + VAT each on replacement sensors.
So the jury is still out at the moment, although i have found cheaper lambda sensors (NGK) @ £61.48 ea.
:thumb

Really pleased to find this thread. I have a 1200GS on an 11 plate and was in the middle of a U-Turn and obviously at idle speed. Gave the accelorator a little blip just to get the engine prepared for going again and it died in mid turn. It has also happened in busy traffic when I am about to pull away from the lights. Turn the accelorator to get going and nothing. It gives a few faltering pops and dies. OF course it has to happen with several GS wannabe bikes around me.

I spoke to the dealer (SBW) and they had not heard of it before. I am taking it in next week and will see what they say and will report back. The real issue here is that its intermittent so sods law its not going to replicate itself on demand.

Had the exact same problem with my 08 GSA, turned out to be the clutch switch, sorted under warranty.

Had the exact same problem with my 08 GSA, turned out to be the clutch switch, sorted under warranty.

Thanks for that I will offer that suggestion when I speak to them. Of course they will first of all want to ensure that its not a user problem. :nenau

I've been experiencing the same problem for over 9 months now, did all the usual bits in a service (air filter, plugs, valve gaps, balanced the throttles ) and the problem still persisted.
Eventually got round to RGM (Roy) who pluuged her in and diagnosed a lambda sensor fault, fault codes were cancelled and she's now running better although I'm waiting to see if the fault re-appears before spending £125 + VAT each on replacement sensors.
So the jury is still out at the moment, although i have found cheaper lambda sensors (NGK) @ £61.48 ea.
:thumb

Same fault and cure on my 2008GSA

I bought an NTK Lambda from an eBay seller, item was designed to fit the 1200 and had the correct BMW connector on it, IIRC it was £68 instead of paying £100+ for the same item in a white box with a blue propeller on it. Once fitted and fault cleared with my GS911 the bike ran sweet as.

Well I think I've heard everything now. Took my 1200GS in to the dealer for it's 12000 service having previously alerted their technician to my problem being that sometimes as I give throttle the engine cuts out. He said that he'd heard me coming in and that I had blipped the engine. He then went on for the next 10 minutes to tell me how the Boxer engine does not like to be blipped. Blipping is seriously bad even though we like to do it - BMW's engineers omitted this fact in their design plans.

I have now completed a further 3000 miles just back from Eastern Europe where I weaned myself off the urge to blip. No more polite warnings to pedestrians about to step into my path - its been full horn instead. I can say its not made a zot of difference. So the dealer says unless they can emulate it it's not a problem. I say unless they fix it I will take my business elsewhere.

Thanks for all the comments from people experiencing similar issues and their resolution.

I had very similar with my '08 GSA MU, would die whilst working through the Blackwall tunnel traffic....
One day I had a Lambda sensor heater fault reported by my GS-911. I replaced with one of the NTK sensors available on E-Bay ( it is the same sensor as OEM), and the problem virtually went away. MPG was also dramatically improved.

Now that I have got rocker arm end-float and the valve clearances set exactly ( I think dealers set them to "within tolerances"), and the throttle balanced as near perfect as I can get them, it has gone completely; all bar an occasional "cough"...

I had this problem on an 1150GSA and it could just die at any speed, in fact i did drop it at one stage. The dealer diagnosed a stretched throttle cable causing unequal balence on each cylinder, this flooded one cylinder, cut it out and as you slowed down it would stall as only running on one pot. To be honest i'm not sure I believe this as it cut out on me without warning at speeds as high as 60mph, on off the throttle in town possibly but on a steady throttle at speed i'm not conviinced. That said following a replacement cable it never done it again, but i did get rid of it shortly after.

Back
Top Bottom