Pub Lunch & Route Recommendations.

Madmountainman

Reaction score
Over the next couple of weeks i shall recommend a few pubs, taking different directions from Molland.
The information is mainly for those people that would like to explore the area, either on their own - or in small groups of friends, and don't want to risk taking pot luck on where they stop.
If any ride leaders find the information of use, please feel free to try my recommendations.
As it's Bank Holiday, i suggest it may be worthwhile booking a table(s), to ensure you get to eat.
In most instances, there will be at least a couple of recommendations in each direction.

Route 1

Heading E-SE to the outskirts of Dorchester (Feel free to pop in to CW's), take this route and stop at The Brace of Pheasants. Sandy and i stopped there a coupe of nights back and had a fantastic venison wrapped in pancetta and a red wine reduction with home done chips and nice veg, followed by a couple of superb puds.
If they're too busy you can head over to ex news reader Fiona Philips' pub, The Greyhound. I'll leave it for you to work out which way you'd like to head back.

Route 2

Heading South from Molland, to the Devon Coast. If you love your fish dishes ( my recommendation would be the seafood gumbo ), and you're an officiando of good sized portions, head for The Anchor Inn at Cockwood, via this route. Another choice, down the road a ways, is The Sea Trout at Staverton.
Have a gander at a map and see where else you'd like to visit on your way back.

Route 3

Another run to the coast, this time to the lovely town of Sidmouth and then along some picturesque back lanes to The Diggers Rest at Woodbury, via this route. Another pub that's worth visiting, but you'll need a nice sunny day, is The Turf, which is my local. It's a little awkward to get to, involving parking up and taking a stroll, but it's a super location. Make sure you get there early if it's going to be sunny as it gets very busy. There's loads of outside seating though.
Once again, work out a route back to suit yourselves.

Route 4

Heading E-NE for this one, there's the option of a shorter run or a slightly longer one via this route, taking in The Halfway House at Pitney or, travel a bit further to The Wookey Hole Inn. Both pubs give you the opportunity of some shopping at Clarks' Village, a wander round Wells and a pootle up Cheddar Gorge.
Head back to Bridgwater and follow my recommended route to the campsite from the main event information section.

Route 5

The Exmoor/Quantock Explorer. This one gives you a superb round trip on some lovely roads, that take in some of the best bits of the Exmoor and Quantock Hills. The round trip stops for lunch at The Royal Oak in Luxborough and you can see the route here. If you would like to extend the route, keep heading west on the coast road after Lynmouth, until you reach Barnstaple, then head back via Great Torrington and South Molton. Oh, and don't forget to stop of for afternoonsies in The Corn Dolly Tea Rooms in South Molton.

Route 6

North West Devon this time, taking in some stunning coastal views and some nice twisty moorland lanes, on this route. Lunch at The Rock in Georgeham should be a fine affair. If the weather's perfect, and you want to stay out a little longer, then this extra bit's just for you.

Route 7

A lovely run to the South Devon coast on this route for fish and chips at The Start Bay at Torcross on Slapton Sands. Just down the road you'll find The Cricket Inn. It's in a lovely location but they only do crab and sandwiches at lunchtimes. If you fancy a night away another time, this place is one to head for, especially for their fish.

MM has posted up some nice local routes but I am not sure if anyone has organised a road ride out?
Unfortunately, I can't attend the event other than during the day on Saturday but I am happy to ride over and lead a group around the local roads if there is any interest.

MM has posted up some nice local routes but I am not sure if anyone has organised a road ride out?
Unfortunately, I can't attend the event other than during the day on Saturday but I am happy to ride over and lead a group around the local roads if there is any interest.

Brian and I are interested in an opportunity to explore the local roads so could be happy to join a ride out on the Saturday. We also are interested to do a days walking.

Lookiing forwrd to this event. Fingers crossed for good weather.

Cheers

Geraldine

Brian and I are interested in an opportunity to explore the local roads so could be happy to join a ride out on the Saturday. We also are interested to do a days walking.

Lookiing forwrd to this event. Fingers crossed for good weather.

Cheers

Geraldine

+1:pullface

Okay, we have the off road group sorted with Jim, Sid and, possibly, Barry G. I have received offers of road ride leaders from Andy and Andy - aka Humbug and Devon, with offers of assistance over the weekend from John G - aka White One and a half day lead out to Plymouth by Dave - aka Dave & Val.
I've not spoken directly to most of the volunteers, but if you need to chat, drop me a pm.
Road ride leader volunteer's would be handy for both days, and any assistance is much appreciated.
For those that don't know me very well, i'll most likely be the tallest person with a tipi on site, so look me up when you arrive and introduce yourself.

You missed out the whole of Dartmoor. It's lovely over from Tavistock, across to Princetown and then head north.

Dartmoor's there for everyone to have a gander over, and most people do when they're in the area. I've just posted some alternative routes, not normally taken by people visiting the area, to offer an alternative to the usual.
As stated, they're just suggestions to help people see the area and avoid taking a gamble on a lunch stop. Feel free to get your maps out and explore other areas and routes if it suits.:thumb2

Dart moor

Dartmoor's there for everyone to have a gander over, and most people do when they're in the area. I've just posted some alternative routes, not normally taken by people visiting the area, to offer an alternative to the usual.
As stated, they're just suggestions to help people see the area and avoid taking a gamble on a lunch stop. Feel free to get your maps out and explore other areas and routes if it suits.:thumb2

Your right Rich'

Notwithstanding the fact we have done Dartmoor to death over the years I reckon:blast:blast

I've got a nice little route that wanders over Exmoor using quite a few little known back roads, many of them single track with maybe a (small) ford thrown in. Tea/coffee and lunch stops can be factored in easily to suit all tastes.

If anyone wishes to accompany us they will be very welcome.

Andy

I've got a nice little route that wanders over Exmoor using quite a few little known back roads, many of them single track with maybe a (small) ford thrown in. Tea/coffee and lunch stops can be factored in easily to suit all tastes.

If anyone wishes to accompany us they will be very welcome.

Andy

I think your small ford might currently be a raging torrent at the mo, but a local that knows the roads is an absolute boon. As Freddie and Sue found out a couple of years back, i know a few lesser well known runs on the moor too!:bounce1

Back
Top Bottom