Bike Insurance

casperfelix

Reaction score
Got my quote today. $680 + $60 admin.

After being given some oxygen I started to find out why so much.

In the on-line application there are two options you can make choices from. These aren't very well explained but are here http://www.hctravel.com/html/us_m_c_insurance.html.

One, 'Bodily Injury/Property Damage' protects you against claims other people make against you for injury or damages they incur if you are at fault in an accident. It provides the basic limits of $50,000 per person/$100,000 per incident and $25,000 property damage. You have the option to increase the liability limits up to $250,000 per person/$500,000 per incident and $100,000 property damage if you prefer higher limits of liability in the event you are at fault.

The other, 'Comprehensive And Collision' confused me: But provides coverage for your motorcycle in the event of fire, theft, collision or vandalism with a $500.00 deductible.

Now, when I asked for a breakdown of my costs I was told $408.00 of the premium quoted ($680.07) was for the Comprehensive and Collision coverage. So I started thinking about whether I needed this or not - and still don't know what the answer is.

If I bend the bike (my fault) it'll get repaired under the insurance - less $500. But what if they can't repair it before it should be shipped back to the UK? Will they allow it to be shipped and then pay for the repairs in the UK? Don't know the answer to this, but doubt it. And what if it's nicked and then found after I return to the UK? I'll be left with a bike in the States that I need to get shipped home at my expense.

I guess the various scenarios can go on for ever - but what are others planning to do viz the Comprehensive and Collision coverage part of their insurance options. And does anybody know the answers to the 'repatriation' questions I have asked? Or should I bother the insurance agent again? :confused:

Just had a reply.$495.....wtf.It was under $200 last trip.:eek:

Motorcycle express are calling me in the next day or so as the prices seem to have jumped a lot over previous times I've used them. I'm not sure whether they have increased their cover massively of it's just the general rise in premiums:nenau

Stand by.........

Am currently asking for a quote here http://www.fernet.com/. Their on line prices seem very good, though only if they'll do a deal re us paying the 30 day rate for 33 days!

It seems they aren't licenced for Alaska so you need to double check that. Let me know how you get on as I'm away at work at the moment so can't do much until the weekend.

There is no panic yet:thumb

Insurance

Motorcycleexpress quote includes Alaska and roadside recovery, 6 months term $600!

Had the re-quote from MC express.Dropped the Comprehensive and Collision cover and reduced the liability cover to the mandatory minimum.
The quote,including service fee is now $340 (about $10 per day).
What with rising insurance costs,inflation over the past couple of years plus the added roadside assistance and underinsured/uninsured cover,that makes the $80ish premium increase more palatable.
Anyone looking to get Recovery?.

It seems they aren't licenced for Alaska so you need to double check that. Let me know how you get on as I'm away at work at the moment so can't do much until the weekend.

There is no panic yet:thumb

When should panic be initiated? I have no feelers out as yet for any insurance but will do if nothing heard before end of week. Has ther been any more info on the deals you were negotiating sgt B?

Any update on the insurance front?
Having spoken to Gail at http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/ on several occasions and done considerable research looking for other companies - both myself on-line and using an American cousin to make some phone calls - I concluded there weren't any other real options to Gail's company. The only question then was whether I go fully comp or not. Given my bike is fairly new I didn't really want to face losing over £10k if somebody had it away with it from a motel carpark this also was a bit of a no-brainer.
Bottom line is I bit the bullet, got the full monty, and paid about £450 for peace of mind.

Having spoken to Gail at http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/ on several occasions and done considerable research looking for other companies - both myself on-line and using an American cousin to make some phone calls - I concluded there weren't any other real options to Gail's company. The only question then was whether I go fully comp or not. Given my bike is fairly new I didn't really want to face losing over £10k if somebody had it away with it from a motel carpark this also was a bit of a no-brainer.
Bottom line is I bit the bullet, got the full monty, and paid about £450 for peace of mind.

I bought my insurance at the lower end....f*** it....$437 in the end....my first trip left me with a particular experience of America which I think will justify being at the lower end of the risk averse spectrum....if I'm proven wrong you can all laugh whilst I quietly sob....:D

Chris

Perhaps they might entertain a group discount if we obtained our insurance from the same insurance company?

Bob

Motorcycle express are calling me in the next day or so as the prices seem to have jumped a lot over previous times I've used them. I'm not sure whether they have increased their cover massively of it's just the general rise in premiums:nenau

Stand by.........

Chris

Perhaps they might entertain a group discount if we obtained our insurance from the same insurance company?

Bob

Gail,through MCE is giving us two months cover for the price of one so in effect that is the discount.I've settled for the basics at $340.

Same here, basic as I could make it.recovery is included as std on all policies for 35 miles so covered if i hit someone and if bike breaks down.what more do ya need.......no reply from the mag contact re medical ins after2 mails anyone took that out?

Medical cover

Same here, basic as I could make it.recovery is included as std on all policies for 35 miles so covered if i hit someone and if bike breaks down.what more do ya need.......no reply from the mag contact re medical ins after2 mails anyone took that out?

I already have worldwide medical cover with direct line: I checked and they confirmed that I am covered for the whole of the trip. Whilst we wait to see what Chris gets us on the bike insurance, anyone got Gail's contact details?

Bob

Back
Top Bottom