Sheffield IAM , first time nerves !

wishbone

Reaction score
Feeling slightly nervous :barf I enroled with the Sheffield IAM last week and I'll be goin out for the first time in the morning ,
I think its an assessed ride to start with ??
I'm really looking forward to it , but I really dont know what to expect as i was in a bit of a rush last week , Any of you advanced riders out there offer any advice ??:D

Feeling slightly nervous :barf I enroled with the Sheffield IAM last week and I'll be goin out for the first time in the morning ,
I'm really looking forward to it , but I really dont know what to expect as i was in a bit of a rush last week , Any of you advanced riders out there offer any advice ??:D

Enjoy, plenty of Sheffield iam'ers on here.
Watch out for
Yoda:D
Magnet :cool:
Harry the cat :ronno
Ted s:ronno:ronno
And others, I won't be there as I'm poorly:comfort

Don't ride any differently to how you do normally. Ignore the fact that you have an observer behind you, ride for you and then listen and take onboard the feedback and then try and implement the changes they suggest. You will enjoy becoming safer and smoother. :thumb

Hi Wishbone ... I'll be down there in the morning :thumb

They're a good bunch down at Sheffield, they'll bring you along gently but firmly and at your own pace so don't be worrying, you will enjoy ... "Zay av vayz and meanz"

Good to see you today Norm, you're looking better :comfort

:beerjug:

Any of you advanced riders out there offer any advice ??:D

I suppose it depends on how you normally ride :nenau

No beeping or :tosser signs to the tin boxes who ruin your fave set of bends, or any other form of road rage etc. Just common sense really

I slowed down as I don't think they like you going over the speed limit (plus good practice for test where any speeding could get you a fail) and expect you to stick to 30's and 40's precisely (including as you get there, not rolling down to 30 a few hundred yards after the sign)

My observers took me to many back lanes which made riding at 50-60mph quite tolerable, I also don't think riding "as you normally do" is fair if you like to "bend the law a little" as I doubt your observer would want to get a ticket whilst trying to help you with your riding on an unpaid voluntary basis.

Learn the theory and application of roadcraft from them and then apply it to your "real world" riding - assuming it is any different from how you ride to pass the test.

Hi Wishbone, i'll be there in the morning, together with Harry the Cat.

What you riding?:moped:

It was good to meet up with you this morning Wishbone ... I gather you had a good day :thumb

I see that all posts by Rockchunk have been pulled ... it would be nice to have an apology from him ;)

:blast

Like others who will probably only be drawn here because of another thread, I now want to know what Rockchunk said :nenau

When something's gone, let it die of its own accord..... don't refer to it , or it just pops up again :augie

A massive thanx to everyone down at sheffield IAM , all my nerves and apprehension soon disappeared , a great group of people that made me welcome straight away , I cant wait for next week !!

ps !!weeerz rockchunk ??????????????

Last edited:
Ditto

A massive thanx to everyone down at sheffield IAM , all my nerves and apprehension soon disappeared , a great group of people that made me welcome straight away , I cant wait for next week !!

Yesterday was my first time too! Shame we didn't meet. :beerjug:

I totally agree with your comment. I was made very welcome, had a really enjoyable assessment ride and look forward to next week. :clap

I saw you Mick but didn't have time to say hello before we set off.

I'll be down to see you on Saturday for some Earplugs.

Introduce yersen .... 10% discount for subscribed Tossers;)

Interested to know, are they promoting the F1RST register much up at Sheffield?

Hi wishbone and mediamark...

Glad you both enjoyed "Saturday with SAM" and hope your experience gets even better in the future. We've got a very good set of riders to ride with and some wonderful countryside to ride in - enjoy!

Interested to know, are they promoting the F1RST register much up at Sheffield?

Members know about the F1RST register but we haven't emphasised its existence. We have always tried to prepare our Associates to a much higher level than that required just to pass the test and so they tend to do well. We, like all IAM Groups I suspect, have programmes in place to help Members develop their riding post-test and I hope that both of you take advantage of those when you've passed your tests :clap.

P

Back
Top Bottom