Recommend me a rugged USB flash drive

Walowiz

Reaction score
I need to get another USB Flash drive, preferably a 32Gb. Anyone use any that have lasted more than 12 - 18 months reasonably hard use ?

Corsair

I've had one of these for a couple of years in the 16Gb version and use it almost every day to transfer configs and logfiles around. Goes onsite with me every other week, and so far no issues, though I've seen some problems reported on review sites. Good value product, and robust for me so far.

Rob

I've had one of these for a couple of years in the 16Gb version and use it almost every day...
That looks impressive. :thumb2

I used to carry my USB stick with me permanently (on a lanyard round my neck) and the trouble with most of them is that the bit where it connects to the lanyard is so thin, that after months and months of constant rubbing, it just wears through. I can't see that happening to one of those. :D

That looks impressive. :thumb2

I used to carry my USB stick with me permanently (on a lanyard round my neck) and the trouble with most of them is that the bit where it connects to the lanyard is so thin, that after months and months of constant rubbing, it just wears through. I can't see that happening to one of those. :D

I've got a keyring one......made by Prestigio according to the logo embossed on it.

It's leather, folds over the USB plug and it's lived on my house keys for several years, so it's been used as much as my keys, lives in my pockets and it's still fine :thumb2

It's only 4gb, but it's got copies of all my bike docs, insurance docs and passport etc.

Prestigio-Leather-Data-Flash-2.jpg

Thanks

Thanks guys

I've used Corsair before and they have been reliable and fairly unbreakable. The only negative I've got against it is the cap, reckon I'd lose that in a few days. But even that's no real issue, speed looks good though.

I like the idea of the Kingston Datatraveler Locker Plus 32GB USB Flash Drive with Encryption.

I saw this on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Drive-Premium-Metal-Casing/dp/B005SP91UW/ref=pd_sim_ce_1 looks good, being metal shouldn't snap or break easily and be a lot less bulky than the Corsair Survivor I've been using.

One thing I notice is how much the price of flash drives has come down since I last looked.

I have couple of the all metal Kingstons, They are pretty robust. I've only had them for a month or so so I can't vouch for long term but if strong and cheap are your priorities they fit the bill. Not the fastest but fine for everyday use.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Do any of you use True crypt or any other encrption / security software on your flash drive ?

I use portableapps (http://portableapps.com/), but I don't secure the data / files on the drive, but I plan to with this new one.

Corsair Survivor

I have a predecessor of this one on my key ring. I've had it for a few years now and it has never let me down.

I believe it won the Gadget Show's rugged memory stick challenge.

416Rw35xLfL._AA300_.jpg

SumpRat

I have couple of the all metal Kingstons ... Not the fastest but fine for everyday use.
How do you know how "fast" an USB stick is? :nenau

I have a predecessor of this one on my key ring. I've had it for a few years now and it has never let me down.
The problem I can see with that again, is that the bit where you clip it to anything is just too thin. In some of the photos in the link, you can see that at it's narrowest point the plastic is just about 1 or 2mm thick. In constant use, that will wear through like it did on my old one. Luckily I saw it drop on the floor.

Do any of you use True crypt or any other encrption / security software on your flash drive ?

I use portableapps (http://portableapps.com/), but I don't secure the data / files on the drive, but I plan to with this new one.

I have used truecrypt for a couple of years. Simple and effective. Highly recommended.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

How do you know how "fast" an USB stick is? :nenau

The problem I can see with that again, is that the bit where you clip it to anything is just too thin. In some of the photos in the link, you can see that at it's narrowest point the plastic is just about 1 or 2mm thick. In constant use, that will wear through like it did on my old one. Luckily I saw it drop on the floor.

The speed is determined by how much data it can rea/write in a second, i.e. Mega Bits per second. This one is rated at;

Read speed: 80 MB/s
Write speed: 40 MB/s

It isn't made of plastic, it is an all aluminium case. Mine has been on my keyring for a couple of years or so and has no wear.

Ok but the Kingston one is 16gb for under a tenner, all metal construction and pretty well unbreakable.

Not entirely, no. But I'm not going to war! It's just a keyring.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom