EU Travel Insurance

Ropey

Reaction score
Just found that CN don't do travel insurance anymore... FFS!! Thats the second one gone as used to use Getcover.ie!!

Anyone any suggestions that cover bikes??

Ta,
J

Try ringing a broker, they might know.

Good to see that you have everything planned out well in advance of your trip!:potkettle

I'm brutal... Thought a quick call to CN and would be a formality but hey ho... Looks like I have pretty good cover and repatriation with Aviva, so might just go with this.

Got my bike insurance sorted today, fully comp with EU breakdown with CN again for 359EUR... Not too shabby :thumb

I'm brutal... Thought a quick call to CN and would be a formality but hey ho... Looks like I have pretty good cover and repatriation with Aviva, so might just go with this.

Got my bike insurance sorted today, fully comp with EU breakdown with CN again for 359EUR... Not too shabby :thumb

Just about to tak to them about my renewal. What age are you and how many years no claim bonus do you have.

Just about to tak to them about my renewal. What age are you and how many years no claim bonus do you have.

A young 39!! 12GS garaged in north county Dublin with immobiliser but no alarm, 5yrs NCB, 5yrs full licence, 2 penalty points for speeding 2 yrs ago.

Fully comp with 350 excess, 4 breakdown pickups per annum across Europe...

AON, Adelade and Liberty were all more expensive but Adelade the closest by far!!

CN started at 459 and excess of 450, bitta haggling and they dropped to 359.

HC Travel do a very good Travel Insurance policy that covers riding bikes abroad. I've used them for trips to Canada and New Zealand.

TK.

Oh bugga, I was planning on just picking up the phone & renewing......:(
Anyone any ideas ?

I ain't found anyone dedicated... I have Aviva health insurance and they cover travel by motorbike as long as on road and helmet and no drink etc and not racing!!! As if :rolleyes:

Their travel insurance excludes motorbikes above 125cc but for 20 quid might get it to go along with my health insurance anyway!!

CN told me cant get anyone to underwrite it this year so not available in Ireland!!!

Travel Insurance

Hi Guys,

I'm new round here, this is just my second post so a little leniency is requested until I find my feet !

Anyway, as an extension to this thread I have been looking for a travel insurance policy which will cover me for riding rental bikes over 125cc on and off road while on holidays abroad. I'm thinking Spain, The Canary Islands and maybe a few days on an organised trip to Morocco. A lot of people reccommend HC but when I looked into their site it's all a bit vague. One page mentions " Includes offroad and adventure cover if on an organised and licensed tour and on a registered road legal motorcycle" (This is not really much use to anyone as how many tours are licenced and it does not cover any trail riding outside of an organised tour which if I hire a bike it's not organised) and when you go to their Travel and General Insurance Company PLC page it's impossible to find anything at all.

I did find one company Holidaysafe.co.uk which stated:

"Will I be insured to ride off road?
Our motorcycle travel insurance covers you when riding off road provided you are not riding in any area where it is forbidden to ride due to local restrictions."

This is sort of what I'm after but they only insure UK residents, which to be honest most of the companies only do.

So I'm wondering if anyone has this type of cover or can offer any ideas where I could find it here in Ireland? Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I'm new round here, this is just my second post so a little leniency is requested until I find my feet !

Anyway, as an extension to this thread I have been looking for a travel insurance policy which will cover me for riding rental bikes over 125cc on and off road while on holidays abroad. I'm thinking Spain, The Canary Islands and maybe a few days on an organised trip to Morocco. A lot of people reccommend HC but when I looked into their site it's all a bit vague. One page mentions " Includes offroad and adventure cover if on an organised and licensed tour and on a registered road legal motorcycle" (This is not really much use to anyone as how many tours are licenced and it does not cover any trail riding outside of an organised tour which if I hire a bike it's not organised) and when you go to their Travel and General Insurance Company PLC page it's impossible to find anything at all.

I did find one company Holidaysafe.co.uk which stated:

"Will I be insured to ride off road?
Our motorcycle travel insurance covers you when riding off road provided you are not riding in any area where it is forbidden to ride due to local restrictions."

This is sort of what I'm after but they only insure UK residents, which to be honest most of the companies only do.

So I'm wondering if anyone has this type of cover or can offer any ideas where I could find it here in Ireland? Thanks.

Suggest you speak to someone at HC Travel to resolve any ambiguity. We used them for an Alaska trip in 2009. We weren't part of any 'organised' tour, but knew we would be riding off road (or at least on unmade roads) and are resident in France ... No problem.

Suggest you speak to someone at HC Travel to resolve any ambiguity. We used them for an Alaska trip in 2009. We weren't part of any 'organised' tour, but knew we would be riding off road (or at least on unmade roads) and are resident in France ... No problem.

Ok hands up your are right, sent email to HC and yes they cover everything I asked. Seems like an encellent travel policy. Thanks !

Just took out a ADAC Plus membership (Partner Plus Package) with these http://www.adac.de/impressum/ €98.70. Cover's us both and the vehicle, riding/driving anywhere in Europe.

Details cut and pasted from another forum

Here's the details on how to join the ADAC Breakdown Service.

Click http://www.adac.de/ to go to ADAC Website.

It's a German company but if you take out the PLUS cover it covers you in any vehicle in the EU.

The roughly translated policy document is attached but if you go to the ADAC website and use Google Chrome as your web browser then it will translate it for you.

Taken from another website www.joysofeuropeancaravanning.co.uk/adacbreakdownservice.htm

NEWS ON JOINING ADAC FROM THE IRELAND BY TELEPHONE AND ENQUIRIES BY EMAIL. Details Below.
FOR INFORMATION, ENQUIRIES ETC.,

Email. amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de

or Telephone enquiries and to join and pay my debit/credit card phone offices Tel No. 00 49 94 15 23 44 and speak to

Ms Amanda Moser-Wickles, or Ms. Barbara Lorenz.

If you get an answer phone message when ringing this number it tells you in German they are extremely busy and to leave a message after the tone. If you leave, your name and telephone number and reason for ringing, they will get back to you as soon as they can. And they really will..

PHONE NUMBER TO CALL ADAC FOR BREAKDOWN FROM THE UK OR OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRY IS AS FOLLOWS:- +49 89 22 22 22

FOR ILLNESS LOSS OF MONEY AND OTHER MATTERS +49 89 76 76

FOR RINGING FOR BREAKDOWN IN GERMANY IS:- 22 22 22.

IF YOU ARE IN SOME OTHER PARTS OF EUROPE NUMBERS ARE ALL PRINTED IN YOUR MEMBERS DETAILS SENT TO YOU WHEN JOINING THIS ORGANISATION.

Some questions asked on the camper forum

UPDATED 02.02.2012.

Another query answer.

An owner of a Large Motor Home contacted ADAC and this is the Question with Answer I received.

Question:- I have to make sure, as being an only driver, the Motor Home is repatriated, should I be too unwell to drive the Motor Home myself.

Answer:- The scenario my contact quoted was if I was injured as a result of a Traffic Accident or a Skiing Accident and was unable to drive the Motor Home My wife, Motor Home and I would be repatriated to the UK, or separately, should I have to return under medical supervision. The contact at ADAC was aware that the service they offer is so much more advanced than any other car insurance breakdown cover.

UPDATED 20.01 2012.

Due to a query by a Member of a Forum I had call to ring ADAC Office and get clarification of the subject of limit of €200 for recovery of your vehicle when encountering a breakdown. Below is the answer in plain English.

1. If you breakdown by the roadside or anywhere and call ADAC they will send a mechanic to you. If he cannot fix the problem he will, or arrange to get you transported to a Garage within 80 km (50 miles) radius.

2. If the Garage has to get parts they will organise this. (You will pay for parts and labour fitting of same).

3. If the parts are not obtainable and the vehicle cannot be repaired ADAC will repatriate you back to your Home.

4. The above is all covered by your ADAC Plus or Partner Plus Policy. You must have this level of Policy being a UK citizen.

5. What is not covered is if there is not a garage within the 80 km (50 miles) radius you would have to pay the extra mileage over this figure. Personally I cannot believe this is likely to happen and there not be a garage within that limit.

This is an update on telephone number and email address sent by ADAC Head Office to me for UK citizens to enquire, join and pay for ADAC Subscription by Telephone by Visa or Access Card. In English. This contact line was set up by another member of the staff of ADAC at my request as Brits were finding it difficult to join and find English Speaking Staff.

The lady to contact is Ms. Moser-Wickles is Head of the Office in Regensburg she speaks English and has been informed by Head Office about this website and UK citizens wanting to join ADAC and is looking forward to Contacts.

Telephone Number:- is from the UK 00 49 941 52344 this is for info and joining. If Ms. Moser-Wickles is not available most of the staff in this office speak fluent English.

Email Address is:- amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de for information.

If you still have a problem at all email service@gks.adac.de

Note that you must request, as a UK citizen, for cover by membership Plus or Partner Plus. Prices details as below.

Having given your card details and payment has gone through they will tell you your Membership will start at Midnight. Cards will follow by post. But as long as you have your Membership Number with you, you will be covered.

This German Club offers an excellent service for Car and Caravan if you should have the unfortunate experience of breaking down in this country or anywhere in Europe.

When taking out Breakdown Cover you have to check so many things on the Policy especially if you are towing a Caravan. I will write down on this page all the advantages of joining ADAC and what it covers.

Firstly the policy you have to take out is the Plus for one person or Partner Plus if you wish to cover yourself and Spouse or Partner living at one address. This also covers Children and Pets. The reason you need this Policy is because you are not resident in Germany. This Policy covers you if living in the UK or anywhere Worldwide.

The cost of this Service for 1 year is Plus. €79.50 Partner Plus. €98.70

First of all it is you that is covered not your car this means your are covered by this Policy in any car you are driving at the time of breakdown or a passenger in anyone else's car irrespective of the age of the car.

If your car breaks down in the UK you should ring this phone number toll free 0800-0289018 the AA will come to your rescue, as they are partners of the ADAC in the UK. This is also the same in other countries, excluding Germany, in all of Europe they have a partner in those countries eg. Austria OAMTC. All the respective telephone numbers are given in your information pack, when joining ADAC.

TO APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP. Phone from the UK 00 49 94 15 23 44 speak to Ms Moser-Wickles , Ms Barbara Lorenz or one of the staff at this office they all speak fluent English. They will take your details and payment by Credit/Debit Card and give you your Membership Number.

Membership will then start at Midnight after you apply. or Email:-amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de Email might take longer for reply as Ms Moser-Wickles is not always in the Office but by phone you can speak to Ms Lozenz when Ms.Moser-Wickles is out of the office.

PLEASE NOTE. If you should get the Answer Phone in German, after the tone give your Name and Full Telephone Number and someone will get back to you quite quickly.

You cannot pay through transfer from your Bank to theirs as German Banks will not take the UK Bank codes which have a different amount of digits. If you ask the Bank to transfer it they will charge approx. £20. So by card is the best action. I will list all the relevant telephone numbers I have at the end of this page.

Listed below are some of the items covered by ADAC Partner Plus.

1. Breakdown Covers any car you are driving + your spause/partner. Car of any Age.

2. Caravans and Trailers are covered while attached to the car for any problem inc help with punctures and any part of the vehicle that fails, Single axle, a Twin axle is covered as long as axles are not more than a meter apart. That the vehicle is no more than 2.55 meters wide, 10 meters long and 3 meters in height. Permissionable weight of up to 3.5 ton.

3. The Partner Plus Package for €98.70 offers the following coverage Worldwide, except where stated otherwise.

Repatriation in case of illnesses or injury, by ADAC Flying Doctor Service, if necessary.

Travel expences up to €512 to visit a close relative who has to remain in hospital at least 2 weeks while on holiday.

Repatriation of Children.

Repatriation of Pets.

Return transport of vehicle if owner himself is unable to drive back.

Cash for emergencies up to €500, including return transport in case of death.

Costs for interpreter up to €160 (worldwide except for Germany)

Shipping cost for eyeglasses and medication (worldwide except for Germany)

Additional costs up to €2600 for unplanned return back home.

65 Euros per person per night for up to 3 nights additional hotel expences incurred as a result of a medical emergency.

Assistnace to recover or replace travel documents (up to €260)

Up to €103 expences for emergency transfer of funds.

Return transport of vehicle (valid only in Europe)

In case of breakdown, accident or theft of the member's car, car rental for the return journey home (up to €500) or up to 7 day's rental (up to €52 per day) while the repair is being carried out (Europe only).

Up to 3 nights hotel accomodation while the vehicle is being repaired, max € 65 per person per night (Europe only).

Breakdown assistance charges for up to €200 (Europe only).

Up to €200 towing and parking charges for a broken down vehicle. Cost for recovery of vehicle are covered in full (Europe only).

Up to €120 for replacement of a lost or defective car key while on holiday (Europe only).

Shipping costs for spare parts (all Europe except Germany).

Any import duties payable if vehicle is scrapped and related scrapping charges (all Europe, except Germany)

Other points are:-

If Caravan breaks down you will get service for it but not a rental caravan.

Covered full recovery of your car and caravan back to your home town if cannot be repaired in 3 days.

If you get recovery for your car they will pay for passengers repatriation by first class train tickets or economy air tickets. or rental for a car for 7 days.

If it is a relativly minor repair and does not need repatriation ADAC covers costs of up to 200 Euros to tow you to the nearest garage within 80 km (50 miles) radius of where you breakdown.

ADAC is a club and it's partners in the UK are the AA and the RAC.

All contact numbers in Europe have English speaking staff. These numbers are listed in the Members Manual or on Card.

Fuel. If filling the car up with fuel in Germany at a Shell Garage, show your ADAC Membership Card and you will receive a 2% Discount off Bill. Every little helps.

UP DATED JUNE 2012.

If you should breakdown or have an accident with the car rendering it un-drivable, away from the caravan (ie on camp site. ) ADAC will provide you with a tow car to continue journey or for you to repatriate it back to the UK. On arrival at your home ADAC will sort out repatriation of the tow car to its Country of origin.

ANOTHER ISSUE. If you should breakdown on a French Motorway no Organization is allowed to tow you off except for the French Motorway Authorities. Unfortunately they demand fee for this service which can be quite a high price. The only way you can recoup your payment is to contact ADAC and they will re-in burse you. I would think this would apply to any other UK Breakdown Insurer but not sure.

Comments of other ADAC Members.

October 10th 2011. Yesterday I received an email from a member of this website who joined ADAC this year he gave details of experience he had in the UK.

I was on my way to Dover en route for Europe and stopped at a CL at Winchester for 2 nights. As I pulled onto the site a chap approached me saying "Did you know you have a flat tyre on your van" I didn't at this point. So ADAC Book out, phoned Munich, English speaking lady on phone asked "give me your postcode", 45 minutes later AA arrived to sort it out. One day to view the area, lovely place Winchester. Then off again the next day full of confidence in ADAC.

1. I have had ADAC for the last 13 years and used it once. Last year my local garage in the UK forgot to put oil in my transfer box when I actually got to Belgium near to Dinant the transfer box gave up.
After initial panic and language problems with the Belgium (ADAC and AA equivilent) we were recovered to a nice Campsite nearby with the car going to a local dealer for repair. We were able to claim back money from ADAC for the days spent at the Campsite plus travel to the garage etc., ADAC do have Engish speakers just ask "sprecken sie English bitte". I pay €79. 50 a year for ADAC Plus and it covers me here in the UK. There are lots of benefits I cannot recommend them highly enough.

2. I am stationed in Germany and have been an ADAC Member for 5 years, I joined up when still in the UK and then found myself posted here. There is no age restriction on vehicles with ADAC Membership. I know that many UK organisations who only offer to repatriate vechicles up to the market value of the vehicle. This is one of the reasons why ADAC has become popular with Brits over recent years is its excellent service, spread by word of mouth in particular by members of the VW Camper Clubs who have spent many thousands in restoring their pride and joy, these classic campers from the 60's and 70's would not be recovered by UK motoring organisations simply because of their age. ADAC have a large fleet of long distance vehicle transporters recovering Cars, Caravans, Motorhomes, Trailers and Motorbikes etc., from all over Europe and even parts of North Africa. ADAC are in the top five of most respected comapnies here in Germany and with 17 million members they are certainly doing something rights.

One big bonus with ADAC Plus membership is the provision of Worldwide air ambulance repatriation with full medical team all included in the membership fee bur please note that this does not include the cost of hospital in patient charges, it is just the aeromed back home that is covered. This could be a cost effective solution to many who are finding it difficult to obtain any worldwide personal repatriation cover.

3. ADAC coverage applies for as long as you are away from home. Trailers with no more than one axle are covered as long as they are hitched up to the towing vehicle. But don't worry if you have a twin axle caravan by German law a twin axle counts as a single axle as long as the center of the two axles is no more than one metre apart.

4. Was talking to a colleague yesterday who had had a major "undercarriage" problems on his caravan in Italy last year, he said ADAC were excellent from the initial call through to the vans recovery back to Germany. Interestingly today, I had stopped at an Autobahn Services and noticed a Caravan on an ADAC transporter, it had obviously been rear ended as well "wrapped up" to protect it from the elements, talking to the driver, who had picked it up in Denmark, he said that quite often he would recover solo caravans following accidents or major breakdown.

5. Another comment from UK Member is He was travelling through Italy had a major crisis when the towbar broke on my 3 week old van. He was covered by ADAC Plus Membership and said they were brilliant.

6. I spoke to ADAC and Aeromed is the service of the ADAC and they would have no problems flying into a UK Airport if you are a UK based Member. Obviously a majority of their flights are back to Germany and on the rare occasion they have to fly a member to another destination they do use their own fleet of ADAC Ambulance Jets so they say there is no extra cost say flying from Spain into London or Spain to Berlin. They say they will look after members wherever they are based. This is very impressive.

I joined ADAC this year with Partner Plus Policy with mixed feelings because of unfavorable comments on certain Blogs and Forums.

However at Bertchesgaden in Bavaria, Germany my Suzuki Alto which I tow behind my Bursteer Motor Home developed a problem. I rang ADAC and within 30 minutes a recovery truck arrived. The Operator looded and advised me it could not be repaired and informed ADAC Head Office, they then telephoned me to advise they would recover the vehicle back to the UK within two weeks. This they did informing me regularly, by phone, with updates of progress. We were able to continue our holiday, minus car, for further 3 weeks. On arriving back in the UK the car arrived back before us.

Fantastic Service from ADAC will be renewing my Membership this year. Fantastic value at 98.70 Euro's for a year.

E&OE

My bike insurance covers me for travel anywhere in Europe incl Ukraine, covers repatriation for the bike, breakdown assist.
My health cover covers me for any injury received and my travel insurance covers repatriation of me if necessary.

Have bike insurance and health insurance anyway, travel insurance was only €70 and covers the whole family.

My bike insurance covers me for travel anywhere in Europe incl Ukraine, covers repatriation for the bike, breakdown assist.
My health cover covers me for any injury received and my travel insurance covers repatriation of me if necessary.

Have bike insurance and health insurance anyway, travel insurance was only €70 and covers the whole family.

What insurance company are you with Mide....

Always happy to give a plug to HC Travel and their dedicated bikers' travel insurance. Fairly sure that they will cover non-UK residents too, as we were resident in France last time we used them:

http://www.bikerstravelinsurance.co.uk/

I got the above policy last year which was the only one I could find to cover personal accident abroad. However they wrote to me this year and said they wont cover me anymore as I live in Ireland.

I know everyone talks about their own bike insurance and travel insurance but from what I can see there is no insurance company that will give you a travel insurance policy that covers you to ride a Hire Motorcycle over 250cc abroad and / or off road (even on an organised trip), for personal injuries, hospital and repatriation. All the travel policies have exclusions for motorcycling.

What I was looking for was a policy that I could have so I could head to Europe for the odd weekend and hire a bike or even if on holiday hire a bike even a scooter over 250cc for a day or two and be covered.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong ?

Back
Top Bottom