Getting ready for 'The big year off'... Escaping on the GS

Thanks for all the good wishes gents :beerjug:

.. and some good tips. thank you all. I should say that I've done many a foreign trip before, with some fellow tossers here, too.. so this was really the list of things I've added on for this trip.
I'd never camped with the bike other than a night or two before, so I've gotten some better kit and some bits I needed or needed to upgrade.

Don't for get you'll need a hi viz tabnbard for framnce as they are noe compulsery as is a spare set of bulbs.

Hmm. I didn't think the Hi Viz herbert was compulsory until later this year Dave.. :confused: I'll go and do my homework again.. cheers :thumb2

A small £10 Wilko/Morrisons compressor, a puncture repair kit is useless unless to have something to pump it back up :thumb2

Check.. forgot, I saw that thread too a while back and got one of those :thumb2

Don't forget an adaptor to allow Micro SD Cards to be read in a standard SD Card slot on your Laptop/Notepad.
External WiFi Antenna can be useful to boost the reception power of your portable PC in camp sites which have free WiFi.

Cheers GB.. both excellent shouts. Hadn't thought about the WiFi booster so I'm going to sort that now..

:beerjug:

oh.. and special thanks to Fanum and gavinbell for their PMs. Nice one :clap

There really are some solid folks around here..

Don't forget some Canesten cream ........... for life's little infections like crotch rot and athletes foot :D Hopefully thrush and cystitis won't be travelling with you.

Ha. Cheers Dave. A pal who is a nurse has tailor made a medical kit for me, included in which is that.. and also some wierdy anti-chafing stuff. When I questioned what the hell is that for, she said. 'Look, you are a fat man with fat thighs who will be sitting down for 8 hours a day for weeks on end sweating and then walking around in your sweaty gear, what do you think is going to happen? :D

Don't forget the tactical bacon and for the eggs just dress the chicken up as a SWAT team member for the tactical eggs :D

I'm a bit green. Have a good year travelling and God's speed.

Ha. Cheers Dave. A pal who is a nurse has tailor made a medical kit for me,...

Ahh - Wise man.
Keep your friends close and your enemas closer still

You're going to enjoy this - a lot. (you bastid - i'm jealous! :p )

Seriously - Have a Hell of a good time. :thumb2

Sorry Dave but they are NOT compulsary, despite what the ferry companies might say.

Advisable yes, for breakdowns etc but thats it.

This is an accurate and up to date summary

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/france-about-the-hi-viz-law-for-motorcycles.htm

Good, only what I've read on here, going myself later so thats something less to worry about. Enjoy yourself and if you go to Africa don't go in the river, saw a prog once about this worm which crawls into your member and looks bloody 'orrible this is true and not made up!.

Tactical slippers !!!!

WP_000017.jpg

Have a great trip. I bumped into 15 odd bikes at Junc 11 M20 'tother day. It was day one of their trip to Magadan, road of bones etc etc.

Ooooooo I was sooo jealous!

Enjoy, hope you have a great time.

Nice one Rob.

Dunno if you're anything like me, but keep reminding yourself: "It's not a job. There's no schedule and no obligation to be on time"..... sleep-in... stay up late...just do what you want to.

Lucky bastidj!

Cheers, Gents! :cool:

Tactical slippers !!!!

I say.. very tactical.

..keep reminding yourself: "It's not a job. There's no schedule and no obligation to be on time"..... sleep-in... stay up late...just do what you want to..

Cheers Chris :thumb I've had 17 years in this firm.. I'm in the final stretch of my notice now and can't wait to cut away. It's going to be, and already is I suppose, very odd not running to all of the crazy deadlines, working silly hours, having planned weekends ruined.. etc etc.

So you just won't believe how much I am going to do that mate..

Good luck buddy, hope it's everything you want it to be. :thumb2
Very very jealous. :drool
Post what you can on here I'd love to read about it.

All the best
JJ

FFS Rob, there's another weeks worth of waiting yet... hurry up and go, the suspense is killing me :fiddle

I'm really looking forward to your reports, have a great trip.. I wish I was going too :tears

... It's going to be, and already is I suppose, very odd not running to all of the crazy deadlines, working silly hours, having planned weekends ruined.. etc etc.

So you just won't believe how much I am going to do that mate..

Though my trip was small by comparison (month long/ Honda C90 / To Gambia :D ),
at one point somewhere in the middle of the Western Sahara, i sat at the edge of my tent looking at where the fuck i was.
And it sank in...
I felt this slightly deranged grin spread across my face and a little glow in my heart and just a touch of adrenalin.
I hope you get that moment too. :thumb2

~~
Og
gawd i'm full of it tonight!
:blast

Though my trip was small by comparison (month long/ Honda C90 / To Gambia :D ),
at one point somewhere in the middle of the Western Sahara, i sat at the edge of my tent looking at where the fuck i was.
And it sank in...
I felt this slightly deranged grin spread across my face and a little glow in my heart and just a touch of adrenalin.
I had a moment like that too, walking across the bridge in Istanbul with a pack on my back as a spotty youth long, long, ago. 43 years ago. :blast

And later that night came the downer, what was I doing in a place like that, what if I got ill, what if I got mugged. I so wanted to be home.

But that was how I got bitten by the travel bug, I've hitched, driven and flown on holidays ever since, maybe, soon, I'll say sod it and go on my bike (my wife isn't keen on me going on my bike). Selfish, but one day it will be too late.

So, again, gr8roberto- ENJOY
:clap

Cheers Gents :thumb :beerjug:

I like that. Got to hope for it! :thumb

I had a moment like that too, walking across the bridge in Istanbul with a pack on my back as a spotty youth long, long, ago. 43 years ago. :blast

43 years? eek, I got some catching up to do.. :thumb2

FFS Rob, there's another weeks worth of waiting yet... hurry up and go...

Jeez man tell me about it... I just wanna go now :roll

You may want to think about a second Ortlieb bag - in a different colour to the one you've got for wet gear. Putting a wet tent in with a sleeping bag is not a good idea. Obviously it's never happened to me. Absolutely not...:toungincheek

Other than that - have you tried to pack all this stuff on your bike yet? Never done a RTW but the first time I headed off round Europe I left as much behind as I took. And it never really mattered...

Have a fantastic trip. I got some new panniers yesterday on my 1100. I'm feeling the itch and am very envious...:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom