Alaska 2013

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Due to the high demand for my Alaska 2012 trip, I will be running it again in 2013. It will differ from the 2012 trips as we will start and finish the trip in Portland Oregon. This will give us a bit more time for the trip and enable you to fly in and out of Portland and do the trip in 4 weeks total:thumb

Here are the basic details:

Depart Portland on Monday 24th June 2013 and return Friday 19th July 2013

Start and Finish in Portland and the route will be as follows: Mount St Helens, Vancouver, Whistler, Hyder (Salmon Tail Glacier) and up to Prudhoe Bay via the Dalton Hwy.

We'll come back down via the Top of the World Hwy, Alcan Hwy, Jasper, Icefields Parkway, Banff, Waterton, Glacier National Park and across to Portland via the Cascades .

The total mileage will be around 7500 miles and there will be around 500 miles of gravel on the Dalton and TOTW Hwy. It's not too hard but it can get tricky if the weather gets cold and wet. There will be some days we will have to get a move on and will be around 450 miles but that is easy up in Canada and Alaska as there is very little traffic and the views around you are superb. I can promise you will not get bored....!!

We are riding all these roads this year and I know them very well now. This trip is very do-able and I will programme a few days off in nice places.

The bikes will be containered there and back and will be loaded in specially constructed wheel chocks. I've got this operation off to a fine art now.

There will be no camping and we will be using motels along the way. They are cheap enough and a whole lot easier than lugging a tent half way across the world but if you want to do a bit of camping, that's no problem.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you an idea of the costs you can expect. I already have a few people from this parish signed up so if you fancy the trip, contact me a.s.a.p as the number will be limited to 12 in total.

Just to wet your appetite, you will be able to follow this years trip in the ride reports section and we leave on the 1st trip on June 16th.

Attachments

• Gorgeous Alaska.JPG
    Gorgeous Alaska.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,973
Looks a fantastic trip. When I retire (8 yrs 7 months) I'll be there .... :D

Just a week away too long for me...until 2 yrs 364 days time. Hopefully IF you run this in June 2015.....................:beerjug:

I retired last week and I am interested in seeing if I can make the costs work.

Definitely interested, so please let me have some details:thumb

Hi,

I am interested in the above trip, could you send me some details please ......Thanks

Very interested, pleased to receive costs and details.

Everyone should have received some initial information about the trip now.

I'm off to the USA on June 11th and back the end of August so if you want information on the trip, send me a PM and I'll try and respond as soon as I can:thumb

Follow this year's trip in the ride reports section so you can get a good idea of what you are in for!! :thumb

Mouth-watering, once-in-a-lifetime trip to master the famous Dalton Highway as shown on TV (Ice Road Truckers!) I love that little tough lady Lisa Kelly! I'd love to have a go on this challenge! You mentioned bikes being containered. Did you mean bikes being flown over from Heathrow? Otherwise, is it possible to hire a R12GSA from Portland BMW for fly and ride only? I once flew my K100RS to Canada from Heathrow for my mammoth 33 day 10,000 mile 26 state USA tour in 1990 as it worked out cheaper than hire bike! Cheers!

Mouth-watering, once-in-a-lifetime trip to master the famous Dalton Highway as shown on TV (Ice Road Truckers!) I love that little tough lady Lisa Kelly! I'd love to have a go on this challenge! You mentioned bikes being containered. Did you mean bikes being flown over from Heathrow? Otherwise, is it possible to hire a R12GSA from Portland BMW for fly and ride only? I once flew my K100RS to Canada from Heathrow for my mammoth 33 day 10,000 mile 26 state USA tour in 1990 as it worked out cheaper than hire bike! Cheers!

I put them in a sealed and secure container which goes by sea. It's the cheapest method and makes the trip affordable. You can also pack everything you need on teh bike and fly over with just hand luggage:thumb

I'll check out rental costs but be prepared to fall over:eek:

very interested

Due to the high demand for my Alaska 2012 trip, I will be running it again in 2013. It will differ from the 2012 trips as we will start and finish the trip in Portland Oregon. This will give us a bit more time for the trip and enable you to fly in and out of Portland and do the trip in 4 weeks total:thumb

Here are the basic details:

Depart Portland on Monday 24th June 2013 and return Friday 19th July 2013

Start and Finish in Portland and the route will be as follows: Mount St Helens, Vancouver, Whistler, Hyder (Salmon Tail Glacier) and up to Prudhoe Bay via the Dalton Hwy.

We'll come back down via the Top of the World Hwy, Alcan Hwy, Jasper, Icefields Parkway, Banff, Waterton, Glacier National Park and across to Portland via the Cascades .

The total mileage will be around 7500 miles and there will be around 500 miles of gravel on the Dalton and TOTW Hwy. It's not too hard but it can get tricky if the weather gets cold and wet. There will be some days we will have to get a move on and will be around 450 miles but that is easy up in Canada and Alaska as there is very little traffic and the views around you are superb. I can promise you will not get bored....!!

We are riding all these roads this year and I know them very well now. This trip is very do-able and I will programme a few days off in nice places.

The bikes will be containered there and back and will be loaded in specially constructed wheel chocks. I've got this operation off to a fine art now.

There will be no camping and we will be using motels along the way. They are cheap enough and a whole lot easier than lugging a tent half way across the world but if you want to do a bit of camping, that's no problem.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you an idea of the costs you can expect. I already have a few people from this parish signed up so if you fancy the trip, contact me a.s.a.p as the number will be limited to 12 in total.

Just to wet your appetite, you will be able to follow this years trip in the ride reports section and we leave on the 1st trip on June 16th.

did trip in europe last year 5,000 miles in two weeks live in isle of man must get off the rock at least once a year time no problem if you could let me have an idea of cost e mail address is rodtrimble@yahoo.co.uk thanks

Just in case you don't get an immediate reply, it's because Chris is actually starting one of his trips at the moment! :D
Mark

Back
Top Bottom