Explorer is selling well!!

Paul S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Love or hate it Triumph are selling a good number of Explorers at the moment:thumb

In April they sold 263 and in May 239 making it the best selling Adventure bike in the UK for those 2 months.

http://www.mcia.co.uk/Press-and-Statistics/NewReg_Statistics.aspx

Will be interesting to see how sales settle down for the rest of the year.

Does this make the 1200GS a niche bike again ;)

I`m looking forward to getting a test ride on one but the accessory deal on the new 12GS looks good. But 30+ extra bhp on the Explorer looks very good :beer:

It would be very interesting to see the breakdown within the category. How far behind was the GS? How well is the Crosstourer doing now it's appeared? What about the Versys and Super T? As laways, a few statistics immediately prompt a load more questions!

It would be very interesting to see the breakdown within the category. How far behind was the GS? How well is the Crosstourer doing now it's appeared? What about the Versys and Super T? As laways, a few statistics immediately prompt a load more questions!

No way of telling from the info released - also because the GS and GSA are listed as separate models there is no way of knowing whether the combined number is higher or lower than the Explorer. For example in March 229 R1200Gs's wheres sold which excluded the GSA's.

Good I am glad the company is succeeding. The explorer in the release spec looks very nice and will take some people off GS's. Not for me though thats for sure. I hope BM dont lose their way and create some 140bhp road bike when they release the water cooled GSA, if I wanted one of those I would have stuck with the fireblades/Gixxers. My friend bought the crosstourer and thinks deep down he made the wrong choice, he is giving it a year to see whether or not it grows on him.

On a recent Charity ride out (Holyhead to Skegness 140 bikes ish) there were plenty of Explorers and I went to each one hoping they had moved on from GS's (that way I could get a decent like for like comparison) but they had all come off Tigers or other Triumph models. Only one Crosstourer and that was my friends.

Good I am glad the company is succeeding. The explorer in the release spec looks very nice and will take some people off GS's. Not for me though thats for sure. I hope BM dont lose their way and create some 140bhp road bike when they release the water cooled GSA, if I wanted one of those I would have stuck with the fireblades/Gixxers. My friend bought the crosstourer and thinks deep down he made the wrong choice, he is giving it a year to see whether or not it grows on him.

Why not make the standard GS more road orientated with more power, stiffer suspension (not too stiff though!) and road tyres? I chose the GS because I wanted a quick, comfy roadbike.

The GSA could remain the same, but with more mid-range power/torque.

Love or hate it Triumph are selling a good number of Explorers at the moment:thumb

In April they sold 263 and in May 239 making it the best selling Adventure bike in the UK for those 2 months.

http://www.mcia.co.uk/Press-and-Statistics/NewReg_Statistics.aspx

Will be interesting to see how sales settle down for the rest of the year.

Does this make the 1200GS a niche bike again ;)

I predict that it will be short lived and then normal service will be resumed ;)

Why not make the standard GS more road orientated with more power, stiffer suspension (not too stiff though!) and road tyres? I chose the GS because I wanted a quick, comfy roadbike.

The GSA could remain the same, but with more mid-range power/torque.

Does it not then become a multistrada? Each to their own and I totally accept that not everyone is looking for the same thing in a GS and a stiffer more road orientated GS alongside a more off road larger fuel tank GSA may be what BM are considering. For me if you want to cruise at high speed then the GS is not the bike, as it stands now it will stay with a KTM SMT on the twisties fitted with Tourance EXPs so for me its a good enough road bike but still has the potential to tackle some dirt. Each to their own and time/sales will dictate the outcome.

Does it not then become a multistrada? Each to their own and I totally accept that not everyone is looking for the same thing in a GS and a stiffer more road orientated GS alongside a more off road larger fuel tank GSA may be what BM are considering. For me if you want to cruise at high speed then the GS is not the bike, as it stands now it will stay with a KTM SMT on the twisties fitted with Tourance EXPs so for me its a good enough road bike but still has the potential to tackle some dirt. Each to their own and time/sales will dictate the outcome.

There is no such thing as the perfect bike for all situations and needs BUT the GS comes closest, hence its Worldwide success.

Over on the Tiger Explorer forum there's similar threads discussing the reasons for choosing an Explorer over other bikes, including the GS.

Predictably there are more folk who are simply moving from another Triumph, but there are quite a few who have traded in their GS, or just kept it, and bought an Explorer.

The majority of them still rate the GS as an excellent ride, but just fancied a change... I'm in that camp .

It's extremely unlikely I'll take a 12k bike offroad, so the styling and oomph does it for me. I don't need to have gone from here to China offroad to have had an adventure.

The last time I took a GS off road it was warm and dry, and my 09 SE ended up nearly upside down in a hedge ... took some getting out as I was on my lonesome :D

Will stick to roads from now on :Motomartin

There is no such thing as the perfect bike for all situations and needs BUT the GS comes closest, hence its Worldwide success.

The current success of the gs, sales wise, comes down to one very successful tv programme and good advertising on the back of it. It's a great bike but the general conscience of the buying public would not have been raised were it not for those two things that set the ball rolling and that applies to all 'adventure' bikes.

The current success of the gs, sales wise, comes down to one very successful tv programme and good advertising on the back of it. It's a great bike but the general conscience of the buying public would not have been raised were it not for those two things that set the ball rolling and that applies to all 'adventure' bikes.

Wonder how I ever managed to buy my first 3 GS's along with a Triumph Tiger before that certain TV programme was even thought about :rolleyes:

The GS was a successfull "brand" before the TV programme. No doubt it has helped 1200 sales since 2004 but if the bike wasn't any good no amount of advertising would have made it such a popular bike. Personally it took me 5 years to get over the Ewan and Charlie image before I deemed it safe to buy one so I wonder how many people have been put off buying because of that image? :D

GS Adventurer v Triumph Explorer

:flag
Due to my advancing years and being slightly vertically challenged I was looking to get something that compared favourably with my GS Adventurer but wasn't an up specced GS (my wife rides a GS so I couldn't possibly go back to the standard version). I had ridden Triumphs before and had always liked the Triple engine so I went and had a test ride.
I have now had my Explorer for two months and love it. I can get my feet firmly planted on the ground, the grunt and performance of the Triple is great, it is very comfy for longer miles, handles really well.
The luggage is not as good as the Adventurer but still manages to be waterproof even in a Scottish summer. I don't know how easy it will be to adjust to the more regular fuel stops when we head to Austria in September - I suppose my wife will be happy as she won't have me harping on about still having 200 miles left before I need to fuel.
In short I loved my GS Adventurer but am enjoying the beginning of a new love affair with the Explorer.
:thumb2

The GS was a successfull "brand" before the TV programme. No doubt it has helped 1200 sales since 2004 but if the bike wasn't any good no amount of advertising would have made it such a popular bike. Personally it took me 5 years to get over the Ewan and Charlie image before I deemed it safe to buy one so I wonder how many people have been put off buying because of that image? :D

I had to laugh the other day when looking through some old draft web pages from our first US trip in 2001. I had included a couple of pics of our 'wishlist' bikes for the trip. Roynie picked a green 900cc Triumph Tiger and I went for an R1150GS (in Mandarin Yellow). Roynie got his Tiger. It didn't survive the trip, but he's now on his third - a 2006 1050cc model. I rode an F650GS for the 2001 trip and intended to change it for an 1150 in 2005 as we were budgeting for a 2006 trip. As it happened, Duncan Bell at Vines did a good sales job on the 1200 which did me proud until earlier this year.

I had to sell the 1200 as I had picked up a bargain in November 2010 ... a 2002 1150 in Mandarin Yellow with under 10k on the clock! :D

Personally, it isn't the Ewan and Charlie image that would put me off buying a GSA now. Whatever you think about the showbiz element of the TV programme, Russ Malkin et al, it was a great trip and did inspire many others to follow in their tracks. No, it's the idea that a lot of people would see me as 'just another Ewan and Charlie wannabe'. It's kind of sad that the GSA is now, for many, just a status symbol - a two-wheeled version of the Chelsea Tractor - something to be polished and garaged next to the Range Rover.

Going back to the Explorer, I'm looking forward to seeing a few long-distance ride reports. The recent MCN off-road review wasn't all that flattering.

At the risk of being a pedant thats registrations,not sales, so the number sold will be a lot less....just saying that's all:thumb

GPWM ........ each dealership will have one registered as a Demo then there was all those bikes that Triumph registered and took out for the Spanish launch so Triumph have probably only actually SOLD about 32 :augie

Back
Top Bottom