Wapping's Wanders 2013 - 20/21 April - Beginners only jaunt across the water

Wapping

Reaction score
WHEN: SATURDAY / SUNDAY 20-21 APRIL

For anyone who is new to riding a bike or hasn't been abroad before on a bike (or at all) or is just a bit unsure what it's all about, here's a chance to have a go.

This will be the third or forth trip like this I have run and past punters (many of whom have become regular 'Wanderers' in their own right) have been polite enough to say they are worthwhile. So don't be shy, everyone has to start somewhere and nobody has ever taken the pee, I'm pleased to say.

What will we do:

(1) Travel over on a reasonably early train, Saturday morning. I will book my tickets tomorrow and ping the times up in a subsequent post.

(2) Probably trundle about in north-eastern France, never more than say 50 to 100 miles from Calais.

(3) Take in all the types of road, a bit of motorway, a bit of peage, main roads and dual carriage ways, lesser and minor roads, some villages and towns. There will be NO deliberate off-roadiing. In short, nothing you could not ride on an R1, a bicycle, a GS or roller skates.

(4) Stay overnight somewhere, maybe the Ibis in St Omer, simply as it's convenient.

Anyone who can just make one day, I will get us all very close to Calais in the late(ish) afternoon so you can get home.

(4) Next day, more of the same in a different direction and a train home mid-to-late afternoon / early evening.

I will provide everyone a route plan and we will use the marker 'drop-off' system, so nobody need feel pressurised to ride faster than they want to.

NUMBER OF BIKES: Subject to the availability of rooms, say eight to ten. This will make quite a large convoy, but hey-ho. If they are only two or three of us, I'll still do it.

IF IT'S WET? We are still going. Ice and snow? Forget it!

Richard

Train booked:

OUT: Saturday 20 April - Departing at 07:50 - arriving at 09:25 local time

RETURN: Sunday 21 April - Departing at 18:20 - arriving at 17:55 local time

Cost £28 return

Hello Richard,
If the list is under-subscribed or even if it is not, Pauline and I would love to come along and would be happy to act as the sweeper.

Thanks
Dxtans

This looks ideal for a mate of mine who did his direct access this year.
He and I are heading to Mugello for the GP in June and this would be a cracking toe-dipper for him.
Gutted that I'm working that weekend.

IF IT'S WET? We are still going. Ice and snow? Forget it!

How about if its just a light sprinkling of snow with ice.:D

IMG_1949.jpg

Cheers Wapping. Meeting him for breakfast tomorrow, I'll run it by him & see what he thinks.

Unfortunately he's not able to make it which is a huge shame.

Apologies.

Sounds like a lovely weekend away, please count me in kind sir :thumb2

I need to get more experience abroad, however I can get it, seeing as most of my future planned adventures will be 'over the water'.

Who, how and when do I pay Richard?

ATB

Kim

Hi Richard,

The venerable Mrs Brenchleyhibbs and I would be interested in sharing this experience with you and the other wanderers should the trip be undersubscribed by beginners.

We'd be looking forward to more -2.0 degree temperatures (if you could kindly arrange it?) :hide

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Richard,

The venerable Mrs Brenchleyhibbs and I would be interested in sharing this experience with you.......
We'd be looking forward to more -2.0 degree temperatures (if you could kindly arrange it?) :hide

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy.

Book yourself onto the train. Always good to have you both along.

Richard

I too would like something a bit above zero :D

Is there room for one more? I am fairly new to the GS comunity, having aqcuired a GSA few weeks go, can't say I am a begineer and already done about 10k miles on the V-Strom, in europe, but would like to come along if it's OK.

Well worth the effort and a superb host! :thumb I went on a "wander" a year or so back. Fantastic little trip even if it did get up to the mid 30's! :eek:

Hello
I'm new to UKGser
I would love to come along if u could find one more space.

Pleas let me know if is available

Thanks Luke

Peage

Hi Richard,

Would love to do this trip as I'm taking the bike to France for the first time in June - would love to but am struggling to fit in existing leisure plans as it is... If I could work 2 days an have a 5 day weekend (without any diminution in take-home pay), planning leisure time would be far less complicated!

I've driven extensively all over France so my question relates specifically to bikes at peage toll stations - given that bikes are chargeable and from experience of Dartford Crossing pre toll-free days, i.e. routine of gloves off, find money, pocket change, secure pocket, gloves back on being a pain in the butt, do you have any advice on the matter? Or is it just "be a man and just suck it up..."?

When driving I tend to use my debit card, irrespective of the toll amount (record low stands at €0.90; the highest was nearly €50 :eek:) so I guess this might be the simplest approach with the bike, just a matter of not losing the section entry ticket!

This always used to stress me out as I was more concerned about delaying other people. But hey ho, they insist I pay so I take my time, gloves off, find money, etc etc. I do always have a small bag attached to the bars to keep loose change in and the ticket. Worse in the wet as it always take longer to get gloves on and off.

I have seen guys trying to rush and it always ends in tears as they drop their glove or the ticket falls to the ground.

To be fair I have never encountered other motorists trying to hurry me up :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom