ABW does Morocco October 2012

Well there's not much more I can add to Paul's report of Day 2.

Keep away from the sloppy cheese at breakfast!

There was a section of that badly eroded road only 50 yards after the first washout that was nearly a show stopper. There were signs that phut phuts (assorted scooters etc) and donkeys has passed the collapse, so in true trials style the section was walked and mulled over. It was going to be tight (especially for the BMWs) with the route up against a vertical bank on the left and an unpleasant drop to the right.

It was decided to place “assisters” by the drop to (attempt to!) catch anyone failing trying to get passed the bank. But there wasn’t much to stand on, so any assistance would only be psychological!

All managed safely enough.

Attachments

• wall.bmp
    109.5 KB · Views: 759
Paul also forgot to mention that Gary rode over a cow a little further up the trail.

A lizard also lost its tail. Not a good day for Moroccan wildlife!

Attachments

• cow b.bmp
    103.3 KB · Views: 724
I also believe that karma caused Jono's bike to fail.

As I followed him on the last stretch of piste he managed to soak a couple of occupants of a pick up he was overtaking by a puddle, timing his pass to perfection.

I apologised for him as I passed them – they didn’t look amused. Waiting for Alan to sort himself out after his drop I had the opportunity to apologise again for Jono as the pick-up trundled by – they still weren’t smiling!

It was only a few miles before his bike finally conked out.

Jono (filming) lining himself up with the puddle:

Attachments

• splash.bmp
    104.9 KB · Views: 739

no
no
no

it was out of my hands

new shaft fitted to day and new coil sticks
just mot and tax :D

Day3 02/10/2012: All Together Now...

Hows Husky :)

How's the Chopper? Nice flying today. :thumb

Paul also forgot to mention that Gary rode over a cow a little further up the trail.

I reckon he wanted it unconsious for his own personal gratification. :eek

As I followed him on the last stretch of piste he managed to soak a couple of occupants of a pick up he was overtaking by a puddle, timing his pass to perfection.

I apologised for him as I passed them – they didn’t look amused. Waiting for Alan to sort himself out after his drop I had the opportunity to apologise again for Jono as the pick-up trundled by – they still weren’t smiling!

It was only a few miles before his bike finally conked out.

Jono (filming) lining himself up with the puddle:

He's a very naughty boy!

Some of the locals were enjoying themselves watching us splash our way through that trail but it's not good upsetting anyone. :rob Imagine what would have happened if we did that in the High Peaks. :toungincheek

So what happened?

When you have your engine cases powder coated don't forget to clean up the earth strap mounting flange when you rebuild the bike to ensure a good Ground return connection for the electrical circuits.
Jono certainly put in the work last night to find out why his bike wouldn't start and even refused the help on offer to deal with it himself. He spent several hours, with a brief meal break, to dig down to the top of his engine casings, scrape away some of the powder coating, and reassemble it all again to create a functioning HP2 once again. :clap Once finished he did take a bit of time to sit with a few of us and have a beer before declaring that he was knackered and went to his room to tuck Dean into bed. :augie This morning we dragged his bike off the trailer and we all set off together again. :bounce1

IMG_2307_zpse0b4b86e.jpg

It is a fairly relaxed start to the day at 09:00hrs because all we have to do is get to Marrakech. It would be easy by taking the fast road straight there and we'd be having our mint tea's for elevenses if we were swinging the lead but this not why we are here. We're going to have a little look at the lower slopes of the Moyen (Middle) Atlas mountains before a fun run into the old city and it doesn't take long to get there from Beni Mellal. Our first stop is part way up the steeply rising slopes of the long mountain range.

100_0728_zps0eb7c4ea.jpg

The electromagnetic radition from the power cables has had no long term affects as far as we can tell.

The road to this layby is typically Moroccan with lots of switchbacks, long seeping bends and short straights typical of Alpine style roads elsewhere.

X1700052_zpsc5db506b.jpg

Dean's HeadCam again.

The climb to this place periodically opens up the views to the lowland, from where we have come, bit it's only when we stop that we can find the time to take it all in and capture a few images to show our friends, and you lot here...

100_0729_zps8f57b8d8.jpg

Somewhere below is Afourer and Beni Mellal.

DSC02314.jpg

IMG_2308_zps48a311ed.jpg

Alan captures the mid-morning mist, or dust, perfectly.

After half a cigar we're back on the road upwards and further into the mountains but before too long I'm at the side of the road again with Alan whilst watching the head of the group disappear into the distance. :confused: Alan's had a problem with his jacket and needs to stop to make some adjustments which forces MrIfan do stop behind us and get his camera out...

IMG_8359_zps3057b1fb.jpg

Body armour alone is the way to go at this time of year. :thumb2
PS. You must wear trousers. :blast

"Right, come on Al, let's catch up". They can't be that far ahead, and they are not. Alan and I manage to catch up Jono, who has waited for us, and soon we find our next layby-stop for a vista to behold and take some more pictures. The trouble is it's on a dangerous bend and there's a lot of traffic in our way. Some of us overshoot the opportunity to turn left and park up so, we take the safer option of riding on for a few meters more to pull a U-Turn and make a safer exit from the main carriageway.
Pulling off the road onto a gravel layby is usually done without any drama's for most but there's always one who makes it more difficult that it should be. :D There's an HP2 which manages to find the only rut to ride in for a 1000m which decides it's had enough and lies down on it's side: Guess which one?

X1700161_zps4f9745bb.jpg

X1700162_zpsb51145b6.jpg

X1700164_zpsf0057229.jpg

X1700163_zps7512638d.jpg

Take a bow...:bow Well done. :comfort

Even thought Jono has given us all a laugh this morning there's another distraction which occupies our short stay here: It's the view.
We've stopped at the best point of view for the Bin-el-Ouidane reservoir after having ridden over its dam, through a tunnel and up the roads of the hills which supply its water. The artificial lake holds stunning aquamarine blue water and a few moments to recall in my mind for days to come. The photographs taken here do not in any way represent the beauty of the view and it's only for those who follow the green routes of the Michelin Maps who find these places when looking for them.

No matter how overwhelming some things are, occasionally there are other priorities which have to be dealt with...

DSC02315-1_zps1306abea.jpg

This is becoming an increasingly regular sight to the rest of the group. :augie

...although having one of these bikes does provide a element of defense from having the piss taken too much.

100_0730_zpsf8943a99.jpg

The Boss is actually suffering from an over inflated bladder.

The actuality is that we've arrived here for a five break after a several kilometers of fantastic riding but it's cameras out for everyone in an attempt to capture the view...

DSC02316.jpg

The real view.

We were all asked to present ourselves, with a bike, for a sensible picture of all the riders with a worthy backdrop behind us...

IMG_8366_zps94eabfb6.jpg

Rudiemoto, Skygod, Spout, Alan, Dean and me.

...but sensible doesn't last long around here though.

IMG_8369_zps3867fa02.jpg

A big thanks to the original Tosser's Pointing Crew. :beerjug:

Just one more thing before we move on from here and that is to verify that Jono's HP2, with its KTM'esq fairing, survived its' tumble and will be with us for the remainder of the day. :)

IMG_8372_zps12de9dfc.jpg

It has to be back on the road from here towards Marrakech. It's a new road this time for most of us, which is just as enjoyable as the ride to the reservoir, and will take us to our lunch stop at a place I'm sure I have seen before.
We stop for fuel, a toilet break and our lunch at one of those multifunctional service stations to be found in Morocco (without the £3 pint of coffee). There's a cafe with food, a truck-wash, and of course sans plomb for our bikes. There's nothing to be seen across all horizons except this place and it makes you wonder what life must be like looking after all of the travellers who stop here. I've said it before: "If you didn't have to do it somebody else would and no doubt make a decent living in this near desert location supplying those who arrive here." There's nothing for miles around here but they can still provide us with a decent meal in the middle of the day.

P1020411_zpscb858aae.jpg

That's Ian's...All to himself. :(

We get the Tagine's with chili's...:D

P1020412_zpsf41add56.jpg

Wake up you two!

We're not alone here. In Morocco there are many opportunities to see some new wildlife and even the simple things like butterflies in October...

P1020403_zps668544fb.jpg

Nice job MrIfan: All of your butterfly snaps were worth posting here.

After we had dined we were back on the road and off to a place we found last time for a little bit of fun and to break up the road ride. It's a small stream bed leading to a river by the side of our road to Marrakech. It's rocky and sandy with sloping sides which make's it difficult to turn around at the bushy end; just ask the Boss. :augie

We assemble by the footballing goal and yes, there's only one and no pitch. In fact it's even not remotely flat and those who's who play that game wouldn't dare perform a sliding tackle on the stoney ground.

IMG_8373_zps17dcb170.jpg

Smoking is not allowed in the penalty box. :rob

That's the start point up there and there's a small trail to ride down to the river bank. You turn right quite quickly before you have to plough your way through the muddy beach and ruin your trousers.

The Boss takes the lead and is followed by Spout, Alan and then me.

IMG_8374_zpse2852f0c.jpg

Spout leads on the way back because he doesn't have to pick his bike up!

IMG_8375_zpsb3e612a4.jpg

The easier way out.

IMG_8393_zpsa2ce4bc3.jpg

The more challenging route.

IMG_8387_zps106cae0c.jpg

KTM Power...

IMG_8383_zps482d2895.jpg

The Lazy Yamaha.

This is the first rocky trail we've taken so far and even though they're not too big they still give the riders something to think about on the sandy surface. It's quite easy to get a wobble on find yourself fighting the handlebars to get a sweat on.

IMG_8396.jpg

This pair are on the way out but, come in from the left behind the post and brick building then swing it to the right.

Jono and Dean bring up the rear giving the rest of us a roosting show to watch.

IMG_8425_zpsd57e453b.jpg

Rudiemoto and Dean playing together.

IMG_8426_zps95c02123.jpg

Jono's HP2 has a lot going for it but sometimes a big bike just makes its own path allowing Dean's agile KTM 640ADV a simple pass.

I'm going to have to go and have a look in this cave one day. I don't expect to find anything but having seen it again in this picture I'm starting to get curious and wonder if there really is anything too see.

IMG_8434_zpsa7a4023d.jpg

The Cave: Is it just a dug-out for shade and weather protection?

After our playtime we crack on towards the Big City but not before we try another piste in the middle of the afternoon which is supposed to take us to the outskirts of Marrakech. It's a good start into the hills, slightly north of Timinoutine, with an easy track but this turns into a wadi crossing at one point which is quite deep and full of sand. After negotiating this we carry on riding up, it seems to always be up in this country, until we arrive at the edge of an unexpected village. It doesn't look right to ride into this place so we stop and have a look around. There's no indication on the surrounding landscape of which way we should go to avoid disturbing the village's community: It's the village route, the hillside full of sheep or turn around. Awesome Skygod decides to go and have a look in the village and leaves us to our bonus five-break. We smoke, drink water, look at our bikes and give the shepherd a bottle of water. This guy is sat on the hillside in the baking sun watching his flock and has nothing with him. No food, no water and he's not even wearing a hat, he's just sat there taking in the day and looking at his sheep which are searching the gaps between the rocks for something green to eat. I still think we should have given him more water to see him through the rest of the day. Look at this sky. Just a single cloud and it's getting hot, even in October...

IMG_8465.jpg

I don't know why but Dean feels the need to check his phone. :nenau

IMG_8463_zps634d2246.jpg

Spout adopts an increasingly familiar pose. :augie

IMG_8464_zpsd1a28af4.jpg

I can't look anymore...

IMG_8469_zps2e79f3c7.jpg

Jono proves that there's not enough water in a 3L aquapack for the day around here.

IMG_8462_zps5ba12699.jpg

The AirCon in here helps keep you cool. :cool:

Well, we have to turn back from this place and go back across the wadi and down the hill for a while before turning to find something better than the roads. We find that for a while if being wedged into a carts' width track lined with stone walls is better than a twisty road. It's not uninteresting in any way but there are donkeys being walking along these tracks and women (it always seems to be womens work) loaded with whatever those twiggy bushes which seem so important to many places in Morocco. Is it kindling or herbs? I wish I knew but it's fair to say that alot of it get moved by whatever means possible (Maybe Tim Cullis knows?).

Once we'd fought our way out of there it was a ride along what looks like the canal into or around Marrakech. It may just be a protected river because there doesn't seem to be any traffic on it and it doesn't look very clean so fallling in there isn't an option.

Well, there's just a couple of shots for today which I could find to use and they are from our evening out in Marrakech and taken before, or after, our Indian curry meal in a roof top restaurant looking over the city.

IMG_2315_zpsda9d65e4.jpg

It's a shame about the focus and movement...

IMG_2316_zpsefdc6591.jpg

There's lots of tat sellers in Marrakech.

Pherhaps I'll come back here in 2013 to have a proper look around but for now it's only for tonight because tomorrow we'll be on our way in the morning where we will be heading further south for another change of scenery.

Memories of Marrakech?

Well I'll not forget the banjo player with a live chicken on his head (or was it a chicken with a banjo player stuck in its arse?), the shops with rows of children hung by nooses round their necks (on closer inspection were very life like tailors dummies) and the crazy taxi ride back to the hotel (the little Fiat squeezing through gaps I'd think twice about on the HP!).

:thumb

Day 4 Marrakesh to Taliouine

I suppose I'd better start the write up for Day 4. Paul's XT had been using oil at an alarming rate, so he headed off into town to search for some liquid gold and left the rest of us to go on ahead.

There was the usual craziness of moroccan traffic on the run out of Marrakesh (including a white horse wandering up the central reservation) but we were soon on quieter roads, and turned off onto a lovely wide smooth piste heading for the hills and were soon up to top gear speeds. There wasn’t too much dust and it was a joy to feel the cooling breeze that speed produced. Gradually a strange mound appeared on our left:

Attachments

• Picture 018 s.jpg
    Picture 018 s.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 624
It looked a very steep climb, with rough ground just before the top. “There’s not much room on the top, so stop quickly when you get there”, was Garys only advice.

Whilst preparing ourselves for this “Mans Test” we noticed that Jonos HP had a piece of wire stuck in his rear tyre, which when pulled was slowly leaking air. Before repairing it Jono decided to recce the climb and went on ahead on foot.

My inner Mr Sensible told me I would be stupid to risk attempting the climb on only Day 4 of the tour, but after seeing Gary roost and bounce his way up onto the top I couldn’t help myself, and helmet and gloves were quickly on and a second gear charge soon had me up on the top. Yeeehaaa!

The summit gave spectacular views of the very strange dry landscape, with mountains further to the south.

Attachments

• Picture 021 s.jpg
    Picture 021 s.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 447
The descent was as equally interesting as the ascent, and once all down Jonos puncture was repaired with a can of sealant. Thankfully Dean had a mini air compressor with him, as Jono had taken his valve out to ease the sealants path in, and lost all the pressure in the reinfalted tyre on removal of the can.

We continued heading towards the mountains along the fast sweeping piste (one of the tours highlights) and stopped in the first village we came to. It was the first bit of shade we could find. Did I mention it was hot?!!!

As we neared the mountains we hit the foothills and a badly damaged (cracks, craters, washouts etc) road wound its way up through a pine forest. I thought it was too badly damaged to have other traffic on it, but of course this was Morocco, and sure enough the odd vehicle came the other way. Nutters.

Following the GPS we turned off onto another piste, but soon came across a damaged river crossing.

Attachments

• Picture 023 s.jpg
    Picture 023 s.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 436
I spotted a way through and found a nice bit of shade:

Attachments

• Picture 024 s.jpg
    Picture 024 s.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 458
The piste on the other side showed little sign of use, and after a mile or so the track disappeared (down the hillside). Again it was apparent that phut phuts and donkeys were still getting through via a ledge in the side of the hill. No photos of this section as the last quarter mile or so were rather cheek clenching – riding along this thin ledge with a big drop to the right. It had to be ridden feet up trials style as there was nowhere to dab.

The ledge popped us onto a rough track (had the air of construction activity about it) which brought us to the wrong side of a chain across the track with No Entry signs. Easy to get by, but the next locked gate and stone wall was a bit more difficult. Another bit of trials riding had us on the right (legal?) side again.

A nice freshly laid tarmac road followed, and at a junction we met up again with Ian and Paul.

Over to you Paul......

2 places left on April`s trip if anyone fancies it?????:thumb

Last edited:
april

what dates ? how long would be very interested.....

Have a look HERE and give GayLordGary a call to book a training session or simply take one of the remaining places for a mega-fun-two-weeks-riding and an early start to your adventures for 2013. :thumb

PS. He's not really a Lord...

Back
Top Bottom