Iceland May/June 2005

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
Hi all, I am planning a trip to Iceland next year, due to farm commitments have to go early season so I am wondering what the weather will be like? Has anyone been this early and what were the roads like in the interior? I have read of impassible rivers due to lots of melt water and can anyone recommend good cheap accomodation like farmhouse B&B? Shame the volcanoe has stopped! That would have been something to see. Happy riding and watch for those muddy tractor tracks on the bends!!

Iceland It's not that bad!

C'mon Folks, surely someones been or is going, I'd like to know what to look out for, what the rotten shark tastes like and whether the Puffin and chips comes with the beak or not? Anyway, It's only a three day ferry journey away and it shouldn't be too cold not with a bottle of Icetraria Schnapps the stuff with the dead lichen in. It tastes like alcoholic squeezy! regards Chris Neil

Cheap doesn't come into it, try £5 for a hot dog, had to live on them as it was all I could afford, I was lucky slept on a floor, This was June 2001. I was out with a theatre company and we where put up by the theatre staff, ranged from beds to floors.

Still managed to go glacier bashing, the roads do wash out most/all are gravel and the blue lagoon is a must. alchohol is also very expensive.

I didnt get much chance to explore more than Rejavik, some interesting building, the people are nice and they do like a bit of designer fashion.

Not much useI suppose, but thats it, Pete A

Hi Chris.
I was there this June/July for three weeks riding my (now sadly sold) TTR600. Basically you plan your trips to the weather forecast. I exprienced everything from +2c to +80 f, from blazing sunshine to snow showers. It was effin AWESOME and am planning to go again with my girlie.
If you are planning to ride the Sprengisandur Crossing your dates are very early in the season and there may be restrictions in place to where you can actually ride in the interior.
£2odd will buy you a pilsur (hotdog) in most garages. You can eat quite reasonably if you look around and go for the dish of the day, having a beer though will double the price of your meal- beer starts at around £5 a pint. I went mad and bought a 3ltr wine box at the government store- £10 here, £27 there.
I will go back, hope you go for it, it is an amazing place.
HENRY
P.S. Camping is very reasonable.

Just as a matter of interest (and nosiness), how much is the ferry?

Ferry Price

Hi Ronno, I don't know exactly how much the ferry will be as there are two of us and I'm not sure about cabin and meals will cost. Guess it won't be cheap though the Iceland feature in MV issue ten quotes about £400 per person plus £64 for the bike return from Aberdeen to Iceland in reality I suspect it may be a lot more than this!

Iceland

Hi Wreford, the latest is that I've been in touch with both Norlink and Smyril line and this is the deal. Sail from Aberdeen to Shetland on the Norlink boat overnight arrive Lerwick next day. Then sail Smyril line same evening to Torshaven Faroes stop for three hours then on to Seydisfjordur Iceland . Spend seven days in Iceland then home on the same route. I will be going about the end of May which I think is about the first sailing. The cost for two people one bike and a cabin with a window is in the region of £600 each return depending on the level of cabin accom and meals etc. I am really looking forward to this trip but can't be away for more than a fortnight. I think some other GSers are thinking of going a few have been in touch! Have you seen the Helge Pedersen Touratech Iceland DVD?

You can also ship your bike from Immingham via Eimskip. I then flew later in the week from Glasgow Airport to Keflavik. Fortunately a friend of mine has friends in Reykyavik (sorry about the spelling) so their son helped me get the bike out of customs. I experienced no hassle with the customs. A couple from darn sarf however, arrived by ferry and were taken to task by customs- narrowly missing having their bikes completely stripped.
Its a bit more expensive but then you don't spend half of your holiday on a floating mall.
HENRY

3000th post so I thought I'd revive this Iceland thread

It used to be so easy to get to Iceland with my GS

Now I just fly my mountain bike and suffere the headwinds

Eleventh trip planned for the end of May

See you on the road.

FP.

Back
Top Bottom