Test Rode the Triumph Explorer today.

snerkler

Reaction score
I've been bike-less for about 4 months now after having to sell my GSA due to an arm injury (not biking related), but I'm missing it too much and so would love another bike even if I can only ride it very occasionally.

Anyway, I loved my GSA, was the best bike I ever owned by some margin. However, there are other similar bikes out there now so before plunging straight back onto a GS I thought I'd try out the competition to see if I preferred it.

First things first, boy is it fast compared to the GSA (DOHC), it soon goes into hyperdrive. The engine is very impressive in this area, but with the roads getting every busier and the standard of driving steadily going downhill I'm not sure that this speed is warranted on the road. Also, whilst the engine took off like a train it did not have that nice satisfying drive/punch out of corners like the DOHC GS/A which was a little disappointing.

I didn't like the handling, the front didn't seem to do what I wanted, it almost felt disconnected. One minute it didn't seem to want to turn it, then it would flop in. Also, it felt as though the centre of rotation was around the back wheel, a very strange sensation. It felt like a bike equivalent of a roadster such as a Z4.

The dials looked a bit better than the GS/A imo, and I personally prefer a digital speedo than dials/clocks. Build quality felt OK, but not quite as good as the BMW. I know a lot of people on here moan about the build quality of the GS's, but compared to a lot of other manufacturers they're pretty good still imo. The throttle is fly by wire, and felt very limp. Not sure I liked it tbh, and I hope the new GS (which is also fly by wire) won't be as limp.

Riding position didn't feel as good as the GS/A either. Even on high setting the seat was low, and it seemed more of a reach to the handlebars (I'm 6'4"). Also, I don't know what the suspension setting is, it felt firm without being rigid, but bounced you all over the place. Absolute no use on the Derbyshire Peak District B-roads, the types of roads the GS/A eats for breakfast. Seems bonkers to me that they've set the suspension like this on a bike of this nature.

Wind noise and buffeting was much better than the GS, but not quite as good as the GSA. Also, it was bugging me what the front of the bike reminded me of but I've finally realised. It looks like angry birds.

So as you can tell, I wasn't impressed and won't be getting one. After riding today though I've realised that I have to have a bike again so need to get saving, and also working on SWMBO that I need to spend a lot of cash again. As I'm not quite in a position to buy as yet I think I'll wait to see what the new GS has to offer. But if that's not up to par I know I'll be fully satisfied with a DOHC model. Would just need to decide whether to have the GSA again, or go for the GS this time.

I test rode it in the spring. Found it fast-ish and solid, but very heavy and lacking in character. It was not at all the 'go cart' that my R1100R is, and not nearly as fun as my 1150GS (which handles a lot differently than the 1150GSA)

Nice review.:thumb As one guy on ADVrider said "The Tiger is the kind of bike you take home to Mom and Dad. The GS is the bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant.":D

If you don't have enough cash saved by March, I'll do you a good deal on my TB.:augie

Explorer

Would agree with these comments.

I tried one it and tbh it doesnt compare to a current outgoing gs/gsa nevermind the new one, average bike with a nice engine.

I test rode a TEx and found it fun, but the riding position was not right for me, the suspension was not as plush as a GS and the throttle too light.

I find the GS to be better in every way and it does shift if you twist the throttle loads - the BMW having a slow acting twist grip.

I owned one for 2 weeks! Big mistake.horrible crude suspension.looks good but flawed in too many ways.couldnt wait to get back on gs.

Good review Snerks
That was more or less what i thought of the Triumph when i tested it, and i was happy to get back on my GSA afterwards.

:thumb2

The throttle is fly by wire, and felt very limp. Not sure I liked it tbh, and I hope the new GS (which is also fly by wire) won't be as limp.

I'm interested in what you mean by "limp". My experience when I test rode the Explorer was that the throttle action was incredibly light, which also made it quite snatchy. The slightest twitch of your arm would cause the bike to accelerate/decelerate. It was OK on the open road, but really annoying when trying to stick to 30mph in town. It was the main thing that put me off the bike actually. I think they need to set it up with slightly more resistance, and also reduce the sensitivity a little.

I'm interested in what you mean by "limp". My experience when I test rode the Explorer was that the throttle action was incredibly light, which also made it quite snatchy. The slightest twitch of your arm would cause the bike to accelerate/decelerate. It was OK on the open road, but really annoying when trying to stick to 30mph in town. It was the main thing that put me off the bike actually. I think they need to set it up with slightly more resistance, and also reduce the sensitivity a little.

As you say, very light with no resistance. I wouldn't say it's snatchy as that suggests the fuelling's not very good, but it was excellent. But yes you had to be very careful setting off not to be ham fisted.

Apart from the 2,300 cc jobbie, wouldn't it be nice if Triumph did something original for a change?

And don't you just LOVE their corrosion warranty?

Have you tried a multistrada snerkler? I test rode a standard one back to back with the explorer as my local dealer sells both, the ducati riding experience was far better and i ended up buying one.

Not a bike for all seasons or a workhorse imo, but very exciting to ride, probably the most fun bike i have had in 25 years riding.

Have you tried a multistrada snerkler? I test rode a standard one back to back with the explorer as my local dealer sells both, the ducati riding experience was far better and i ended up buying one.

Not a bike for all seasons or a workhorse imo, but very exciting to ride, probably the most fun bike i have had in 25 years riding.

Thought about it many times but as I'm getting older I'm getting more and more paranoid about the dangers on the road and by all accounts the Duke is siad to be pretty bonkers. I don't think I could resist the temptation to nail it and so it could all end in tears :augie

Thought about it many times but as I'm getting older I'm getting more and more paranoid about the dangers on the road and by all accounts the Duke is siad to be pretty bonkers. I don't think I could resist the temptation to nail it and so it could all end in tears :augie

Its fair to say its lively, mine has been de-catted so is at about 160bhp. power wheelies off the throttle , gun it and youre generally doing about 20-30mph more than the gs. Its not a bike to slow you down like the gs does with its smooth power style, and its definately got an edge to it right off the bottom of the rev counter. The only bike i would swap it for would be a gs/gsa, just wish they weren't so damn heavy to wheel about, but i will probably get another one again one day, maybe used as a second bike when everyone chips over to the water cooled one.

So I got it wrong I think. I thought the Explorer.

2012-Triumph-Explorer-IMG_9257.jpg

Reminded me of this

Angry-Birds.png

But now I think it looks more like this

tumblr_lvcoloYKN01qcmrci.jpg

Interesting comment about the front end. The telelever set-up on the BMW does numb the front end feel. Never ridden the Triumph and don't feel the need to. The 800 looks like a better bike.

Interesting comment about the front end. The telelever set-up on the BMW does numb the front end feel. Never ridden the Triumph and don't feel the need to. The 800 looks like a better bike.

I've never found the GS numb at the front tbh, I've always known what it's doing and it's always done what I've wanted/told it to. With the Trumpet approaching a corner I didn't know whether I was going to have to wrestle it in, or whether it would flop in too much. It was much better at speed on circa 60mph corners, but at circa 40mph corners and slower it just felt horrible and unpredictable.

Its fair to say its lively, mine has been de-catted so is at about 160bhp. power wheelies off the throttle , gun it and youre generally doing about 20-30mph more than the gs. Its not a bike to slow you down like the gs does with its smooth power style, and its definately got an edge to it right off the bottom of the rev counter. The only bike i would swap it for would be a gs/gsa, just wish they weren't so damn heavy to wheel about, but i will probably get another one again one day, maybe used as a second bike when everyone chips over to the water cooled one.

I've just had a wee ride on your old GS Adventure this afternoon while Steve was trying my GS. He's loving the Adventure, maybe you should have kept it.....:D

Good to read a fair assessment of the Triumph. I'm probably going to be in the market for a new bike early next year and I will certainly try the Explorer but many of the things you've said confirm my suspicions, however, it's a personal thing so I'll give it a go. I really like the look of the new GS but don't know whether I will be able to afford it and I'd prefer to see if BMW have addressed some of the reliability issues which have affected the present model before I part with cash.

I've just had a wee ride on your old GS Adventure this afternoon while Steve was trying my GS. He's loving the Adventure, maybe you should have kept it.....:D

Ha maybe so Mike, Steve's got himself a good bike there thats for sure.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom