Show Us Your Sidecars.

Anyone know what's going on with what appears to be the second oil cooler in Colt's piccy? :confused:

attachment.php

If it was mounted inside the chair, I could see it as a radiator for the chair pillion, but out there on the 'bonnet' like that? :nenau

The outfit is the "Feng Boa" model,built by Horst Ulrich.http://www.hu-sidecars.de/

Just in the process of resurecting my Merlin outfit :cool:

Attachments

• outfit dragon rally.jpg
    outfit dragon rally.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,407
  • sidecar.jpg
    sidecar.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,506
  • IMG_6763resize_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_6763resize_edited-1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,403
  • LG-1em.jpg
    LG-1em.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,338
My second outfit

Here is a picture of the second outfit I owned - the first was a BMW R27 with a Steib, but at present I can't find any (if indeed I have any) photos of that one.

It's an LE Sport sidecar that was made to be taken on and off easily there was no adjustable points and each sidecar frame / fixings was made individually for the bike it was being fitted to (wasn't someone looking for something like this??).

The bike is a Yam XS1100 that had been blueprinted and gas-flowed as the guy I bought it off worked at Yamaha training would be "Technicians", so when he had spare time he "played" with his own bike!! Not saying it was powerful, but with the "Bus" on (see below) whilst trying to turn right at a T-juction I gave it too much welly and lost the steering - it's difficult to steer with a front wheel in the air :eek:

There wasn'y too much space in the LE, so it was swapped for a bus - I say bus, you could seat 4 adults in it - and on occassion took over half the dart team to away matches!!!! We even moved house on it, double bed on the roof of the sidecar. The bus was then swapped for a Swallow Jet 100 (the same as the one I had fitted a GL1000 and my F6C - more of which later), back to a single seat.

Attachments

• LE Sport.jpg
    LE Sport.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,301
A guy that I work with has just swapped his series 1 landrover for this.

2BFAB4D8-24C6-4C67-90F6-C59C834E3F2B-4301-000004E00DA7E674_zpsa886debb.jpg

I took it for a little spin and loved it. The box in the chair is for the dog as the little sod keeps jumping out at the lights.

Our 'K' project has been started......we have a <strike>mug</strike> friend with a bog standard K100 who wants a chair built.....

It'll be in the shed soon, and we've started collecting steel plate, box tubing and gate hinges in the big box of toy materials :augie

A guy that I work with has just swapped his series 1 landrover for this.

2BFAB4D8-24C6-4C67-90F6-C59C834E3F2B-4301-000004E00DA7E674_zpsa886debb.jpg

I took it for a little spin and loved it. The box in the chair is for the dog as the little sod keeps jumping out at the lights.

From the pic it seems to be a Dnepr fitted with a 650 Ural engine.
And from the side cutout it looks like a previously right hand sided sidecar body now mounted on the left...perhaps on an inverted sidecar frame with new lugs attached.

The outfit is the "Feng Boa" model,built by Horst Ulrich.http://www.hu-sidecars.de/

YOIKS!!

Just had a good ol' browse on their site, and they do make a nice frame :eek:

A rather serious approach, building a rigid, one piece frame and bike subframe all in one......no points of adjustment, so I guess they used a trial one to set it up and get it spot on handling wise, then made the frames from that jig :eek:

Frame and cradle.subframe for a Katoomer 990

DSC01065.JPG

And one for an XT600

XT%201.JPG

:bow:bow

From the pic it seems to be a Dnepr fitted with a 650 Ural engine.
And from the side cutout it looks like a previously right hand sided sidecar body now mounted on the left...perhaps on an inverted sidecar frame with new lugs attached.

Oh really, I'll let him know. I don't think he knows what he’s got, it's badged up as a Dnepr and is running on an 85/86 "C reg" number plate.

I don't know if this narrows it down any more, but it has a selectable reverse gear and another lever that acts as a parking brake, and surprisingly no brakes on the side car. It's just passed an MOT though and he's happy with it.

Oh really, I'll let him know. I don't think he knows what he’s got, it's badged up as a Dnepr and is running on an 85/86 "C reg" number plate. .

It`s almost certainly a Dnepr rolling chassis because of the squareish and deeper 'coffin' tank and the rounded profile mudguards....compared to the more rounded Ural tank with horizontal seam and Ural flat topped mudguards.
If he checks the swingarm pivot area and the swing arm is inside the frame then it`s defo all Dnepr chassis/cycle parts because Ural swing arms are outside of the frame.

That sidecar is defo a former left hand one because of the cutout that I mentioned earlier (it should be a plain body on the bike side with a cutout only on the outer side).
Also the small grabrail is only ever on the outside of the body.

I don't know if this narrows it down any more, but it has a selectable reverse gear and another lever that acts as a parking brake, and surprisingly no brakes on the side car. It's just passed an MOT though and he's happy with it.

Nah,not really as most Urals post late 1980`s (after M66 model) have reverse gear and the push down lever for a parking brake.
By the way,tell him he`s better off not using that parking brake idea because one day he WILL forget that it`s on and fry the brake shoes....also it doesn`t always hold the combo very well on hills.
Best to park in reverse as this will hold the combo on a steep hill even with someone in the chair.

Those barrels and heads are definately Ural 650 looking at the photo as they`re oval compared to the blocky rectangular profile Dnepr ones.
There`s one model of Dnepr (can`t remember if it`s MT-11 or MT-16) which was prone to the cast crank breaking and it`s likely someone`s put a Ural engine in it.

The lack of a sidecar brake is nothing unusual...neither of my Urals have one....it was an optional extra.

There`s nothing wrong with any of that,I just thought I`d add a bit of info based on my observations.

It`s almost certainly a Dnepr rolling chassis because of the squareish and deeper 'coffin' tank and the rounded profile mudguards....compared to the more rounded Ural tank with horizontal seam and Ural flat topped mudguards.
If he checks the swingarm pivot area and the swing arm is inside the frame then it`s defo all Dnepr chassis/cycle parts because Ural swing arms are outside of the frame.

That sidecar is defo a former left hand one because of the cutout that I mentioned earlier (it should be a plain body on the bike side with a cutout only on the outer side).
Also the small grabrail is only ever on the outside of the body.

Nah,not really as most Urals post late 1980`s (after M66 model) have reverse gear and the push down lever for a parking brake.
By the way,tell him he`s better off not using that parking brake idea because one day he WILL forget that it`s on and fry the brake shoes....also it doesn`t always hold the combo very well on hills.
Best to park in reverse as this will hold the combo on a steep hill even with someone in the chair.

Those barrels and heads are definately Ural 650 looking at the photo as they`re oval compared to the blocky rectangular profile Dnepr ones.
There`s one model of Dnepr (can`t remember if it`s MT-11 or MT-16) which was prone to the cast crank breaking and it`s likely someone`s put a Ural engine in it.

The lack of a sidecar brake is nothing unusual...neither of my Urals have one....it was an optional extra.

There`s nothing wrong with any of that,I just thought I`d add a bit of info based on my observations.

It would very probably have been imported into the UK and sold (as Tarak says) with the sidecar chassis inverted and the European sidecar as fitted (UK spec chairs didn't exist then iirc And I believe, are/were only made by Ural??). These machines where sold under the name of Neval. Neval also produced various modified versions including a BMW R80 engine conversion (though it's unlikely that the Ural motor fitted is original, though today possibly a wiser choice with the current spares market) to make them more appealing to the UK buyers.

Val.

Decided the cheapest way of resurrecting "Doris" was to buy a new thunderace and transplant the sidecar, wheels and leading link.
Only got 17,000 miles on it :thumb

The G/friend decided I needed a clean garage before I could start the operation though ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,397
Naked Doris:eek:
Bodywork off......1st time I've seen her totally naked:eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,374
Chassis now separated from the old t/ace. Hats off to Merlin for the original build. It wasn't until I had to strip her down that I realised how many brace points they'd put in, all without drilling the frame :eek:
Leading link front end is off and dismantled. Just stripping it ready for repainting (or should I get it stove enamelled ?).

Whilst rebuilding the Merlin I've decided to do a little performance mod. 145bhp just isn't enough :eek
Had this kicking around the garage for a while so thought I might as well use it :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,288

Back
Top Bottom