New build- nearly from scratch on an 1100

Fanum - Crank! :pullface

no - i'm just wondering are you shopping for 'essential accessories' for it yet? :augie

Here's one; :D

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318768

We have 5 or 6 winches kicking about in the shed, from a mahoosive one that came of some truck with a 9000lb pulling rating, down to a 3000lb 'mini' one that came off a trailer, and at least one of those hand crank winches :D

We have an account with Warn as well, so it may JUST happen that this rig ends up with one of these :augie:

XT17-Portable-Winch.jpg

You want to keep an eye on the mounting point where the centre stand used to be.That isn't a very strong part of the casting on the engine,and I've seen plenty of cracked ones,including the Donkey:( so the chance of failure on that bit must be huge with half of Essex welded to it.

Just going back through this to make sure I've taken everything on board :thumb2

Thanks Vern.....that 'mounting point' isn't actually going to be structural- It was more there initially just for lining stuff up and setting up the chair frame on the bench- the bit of rod poked through into it in one of the early pics was just that, an alignment tool.

That point sits in a triangle of space that is probably going to be needed for paddling the thing backwards or holding it on inclines, so I doubt there will be anything at all there in the finished version :beerjug:

We ordered 6 welding bends in 38mm thick wall tubing today...should get them tomorrow, then we can get on with thinking about considering how to go about planning how to build the cage that will go on top (and strengthen) the Velorex frame.

I've been scouring all the Ebay ads and bike wreckers for a single sided swing arm assembly from something that had a bit of power....I've done a 3d CAD drawing of a single sided swingarm in a frame cage, but also a double sided jobby (plenty around for around the 50 quid mark) that looks seriously do-able.

The original axle and wheel have been pretty much mentally written off now, and we've been through every type and grade of Indespension unit online to see if we like those......A nice aluminium double or single sided swing arm with a really solid shock mount bracket feels like the way to go....ideally, one with a fitted disc or maybe even disc, caliper and wheel :eek: :thumb2

Why not half a rear axle off a FWD car one with torsion bar suspension??

ANd it's a complete waste of time putting a disc out that side!
Just going back through this to make sure I've taken everything on board :thumb2

Thanks Vern.....that 'mounting point' isn't actually going to be structural- It was more there initially just for lining stuff up and setting up the chair frame on the bench- the bit of rod poked through into it in one of the early pics was just that, an alignment tool.

That point sits in a triangle of space that is probably going to be needed for paddling the thing backwards or holding it on inclines, so I doubt there will be anything at all there in the finished version :beerjug:

We ordered 6 welding bends in 38mm thick wall tubing today...should get them tomorrow, then we can get on with thinking about considering how to go about planning how to build the cage that will go on top (and strengthen) the Velorex frame.

I've been scouring all the Ebay ads and bike wreckers for a single sided swing arm assembly from something that had a bit of power....I've done a 3d CAD drawing of a single sided swingarm in a frame cage, but also a double sided jobby (plenty around for around the 50 quid mark) that looks seriously do-able.

The original axle and wheel have been pretty much mentally written off now, and we've been through every type and grade of Indespension unit online to see if we like those......A nice aluminium double or single sided swing arm with a really solid shock mount bracket feels like the way to go....ideally, one with a fitted disc or maybe even disc, caliper and wheel :eek: :thumb2

Why not half a rear axle off a FWD car one with torsion bar suspension??

ANd it's a complete waste of time putting a disc out that side!

Oddly enough, we did have our heads up the front wing of a 2CV today :augie

Erm.....ok, edoomakate me, why a waste having a disc that side?

Ok, I completely understand that it would need a regulator to de-power it, or a tiny disc/one pot caliper or whatever, but a valve to regulate the pressure is something we have off the shelf, yet a lower-drag drummed wheel or something would be a substantial cost for the size we'd need to get, and certainly a specific order or a very lucky Ebay win :nenau

is this the winter project or just a warm up

One of........We have a 90 we are going to turn into something fast and rorty and rugged, think wildcat but not on a tubular chassis.
Plus a series 3 hardtop rebuild, a series 1 SWB already stripped to the chassis for a nuts up resto, an Iraq/Merkin Humvee that's now fired up and just needs some details finishing, and a few odd things to play with inbetween (like work) :D

You already knew that answer LOL basically they are waaaaaaaaaaaay too harsh unless "specifically" set up for your own application on the chair

Tapping the brake and leaving a black line ain;t good Karma Dude! (Probably followed by a brown trail in parallel with the black one!)
Erm.....ok, edoomakate me, why a waste having a disc that side?

Ok, I completely understand that it would need a regulator to de-power it, or a tiny disc/one pot caliper or whatever, but a valve to regulate the pressure is something we have off the shelf, yet a lower-drag drummed wheel or something would be a substantial cost for the size we'd need to get, and certainly a specific order or a very lucky Ebay win :nenau

Next project....

i'm hoping Fanum gets a boxer engine, sees a Nimbus and a bunch of square section tubing and (literally) puts 2+2 together. :augie :eek: :eek :blast :D

It's been a busy week.....

First top mount point put on and welded up.....still needs a fillet inbetweeen the two frame members I think, but it's proper tractor engineering :D

(Left handed threaded bolts that size are stupid money, so atthe moment, there's just the right handed one which means that you have to disconnect it from the bracket and screw it in or out to get any adjustment)

HACK6-L.jpg

That tube/bar coming down is made from a jack handle :augie
(I'm only pointing that out because I know how much it annoys the 'OOoh you shouldn't do it like that!" brigade :JB

HACK1-XL.jpg

New frame that goes on top of the original base frame, and has been welded on to support and strengthen the original.

Still looking for some sort of swing arm, and have been eying up a stub axle from a fiesta recently......the weeny little axle in this wheel, as Val pointed out, just isn't up to the job.

The other option is an indespension unit, but try getting just ONE of those :blast

We also put a bid in on Ebay last week on a single sided swing arm (one triumph, the other I can't remember) that would do the job.....the frame we put on last week is easily modified though :thumb

HACK5-XL.jpg

And a bit of strengthening on the existing suspension unit area, in case we end up just trying a thicker axle.....

HACK4-L.jpg

The front end......room for a couple of 5 litre jerries, a car battery run on a split charge system so we can run LED floodlights (a bit of maths showed us that we can run one for well over 24 hours on a car battery, so that's fine for putting up tents in the dark etc etc :thumb2)

HACK7-XL.jpg

Aluminium skin to go over it later, after it's all been taken off, stripped and painted :blast

Don;t forget the gusset behind that longitudinal angle Bill Remembering that the gearbox which is pretty fragile physically (being made of a high magnesium alloy for lightness) may not take much cross frame stress

I'd maybe even think of an adjustable vertical between that rear horizontal and the diagonal above it just to prevent unnecessary stress on the gearbox / subframe mounts

HACK5-XL.jpg

Don;t forget the gusset behind that longitudinal angle Bill Remembering that the gearbox which is pretty fragile physically (being made of a high magnesium alloy for lightness) may not take much cross frame stress

Yep, there's a 10mm thick bit of steel sheet going in there, from the mount on the far side all the way under the sump to that lump of angle iron :thumb2

The bit we had in the shed last week was needed elsewhere though, so we have to 'find' another bit :augie

other-side-point-XL.jpg

Well things took an interesting turn today :D

I bought this:

$(KGrHqN,!ikFCd(btD-8BQsMLFoJNw~~60_12.JPG

It's upside down, so if we mount it the 'right way up', the wheel will be inboard of the swingarm, which is obviously no good for tyre changing, but looking at the other pic on the sale, there is a good chance we can use the various mount points to attach the end of a shock to.

$T2eC16R,!w0E9szNYhFVBQsMLR2,Kw~~60_12.JPG

Delivered, £43 off Ebay :JB

Hopefully it'll arrive fast, as there are things that depend on having the swingarm mounted and the positioning of the shock mounts in place before we move on......the polan will probably include having as much flexibility to mount the shock as possible, so we can adjust angles and travel :thumb2

Val, if you're still reading this, we did follow up your suggestion about talking to F2 about a spindle upgrade and were a bit gobsmacked to be told the 'kit' is the only way they will supply now, and it includes the shock, back plate, hub and basically everything involved with the wheel and suspension.....that's a bit on the heavy side of expense for this project :blast

We also looked in depth at 2CV suspension units and Ford Fiesta kit....the fiesta kit is a definite plan 'd' fallback position if we can't make this single sided swinger fit.

:Motomartin

EDIT....anyone got a spare rear wheel for a VFR 400 laying around wanting a purpose in life? :augie

i have to ask,if you are going to the trouble of fitting the honda swing arm ,wouldnt it make more sense to fit an 1100 swing arm and wheel??then you could carry one multifunction spare wheel and potentially convert to 2wd at a later date,i am not that familier with the 1100 set up but had thought about the feasability of this with a 1200 as it has a hollow hub centre to support the drive shaft.

i have to ask,if you are going to the trouble of fitting the honda swing arm ,wouldnt it make more sense to fit an 1100 swing arm and wheel??then you could carry one multifunction spare wheel and potentially convert to 2wd at a later date,i am not that familier with the 1100 set up but had thought about the feasability of this with a 1200 as it has a hollow hub centre to support the drive shaft.

It was a cheap Ebay purchase.......yes, it would make far more sense to fit an 11xx swinger, but they are serious money and that VFR one was 30 quid.

Things move fast though, and plans change.......it looks like it will be at least a week before the VFR arm gets here, so today we got a freebie suspension unit, hub, axle and wheel from a Ford Fiesta......we've looked in detail at several that have been fitted to rigs attached to various bikes, the biggest being a Goldwing, so we KNOW it will be plenty strong enough :thumb

Watch this space :D

Today is going to be a GOOD day :JB

I didn't book any work in, so we can spend the whole day on the build :bounce1:bounce1

So far....some cleaning off and hacking about...

P1040378-L.jpg

The last remaining attachment point to the bike, the front top one, is in....ignore the silly pin through it in this pic....

P1040381-L.jpg

And best of all....the fiesta stub and suspension is ON!!! :JB

P1040383-XL.jpg

Ain't no way that fucker's coming off :rob

More to come.......

Today is going to be a GOOD day :JB

Heading rapidly towards the top of the list is the cross-body subrame bracing plate......we're waiting on a sheet of 10mm steel to be delivered so we can cut that out and start fitting it......with that on, the rig can come down off the ramp :JB

Target for the day is to ride it around the yard :eek: :augie

Here's a better view of the front top mounting point and how we did it

P1040393-L.jpg

P1040394-L.jpg

And the Fiesta special :D

P1040399-L.jpg

P1040398-L.jpg

It'd ferking cold in here today, but we don't care :bounce1

P1040387-L.jpg

P1040390-L.jpg

Just off to get some M16 x100 bolts and the aluminium sheeting so I can start cutting up the skin panels.....loose plan at the moment is pop rivetting the skin on with a good bead of RTV between it and the frame.

Lots of sanding and tidying to do, then red oxide, satin black top coat, skinning, then wiring and........ooooooh fuck, it's going to be a long day :eek

What about that Longitudinal brace under the exhaust area don't forget that one

That's the bit I meant, the sheet of steel we're waiting for is for there :thumb2

It FEELS solid now, IYKWIM.......that 15mm axle on the old suspension unit was 'feeling' like the weak point as more and more strength has been poured into the rest of the framework.

We should know very soon.....there are some good farm tracks here and the pair of us bouncing around on those on this thing should show us a lot :D

Now, where did I put my serious armoured kit :blast

Back
Top Bottom