New build- nearly from scratch on an 1100

Well it's off to the ICL (Icy Hell :rolleyes:) Rally this weekend.......Gert with Kattrin on the back and all their camping gear in the rig......

I have to say it turned out much better looking than either of us imagined, from what we started with :thumb2

Next week we'll be fitting a split charge system in with the car battery that Gert has just taken for this weekend strapped in rather than fitted.

There are still some details to be sorted and a bit of painting to do, some better lights and so on, and the suspension needs tuning properly, plus after a moderate ride this weekend (The rally is up in Lincolnshire somewhere :nenau), we'll go over every witness mark I made carefully to see if anything has shifted, plus by then we'll know if it handles, shakes its head or whatever.

I'll upload another few short bits of video tomorrow and hopefully after the weekend there'll be a load of pics of it in action :thumb2

I wonder, what will the next project be? :augie

IMG_2720.jpg

:JB

Go on, have a go at one of these:

A8-L.jpg

A15-L.jpg

Go on, have a go at one of these:

A8-L.jpg

A15-L.jpg

Whilst I'd love to take that apart just to see the engineering that's gone in to it, I can't even start to express how 'wrong' it is on every level.

So, the answer is a categorical "No" :comfort

EDIT:
Just spoke to Gert and the rig handled nicely for the 80 mile trip to the ICL rally.......we're going to strip it down when it gets back, check everything over (we marked up all the joints and stress bearing points up with accurate witness marks so we can measure it all up) and then tack weld all the mounting points up unless they need a bit of tweaking.

looks like this one worked :D

Will put some more vid up soon

22222222222-XL.jpg

Loaded up tp go

111111111111-XL.jpg

160 miles later, still all in one piece :thumb2

33333333333-XL.jpg

I'll bring my bullet cam in soon and we'll strap that to it, but it drives well and cruises at 65 fine......carries the load well and does what it says on the tin :JB

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I like it. It certainly makes sense when it's loaded:

22222222222-XL.jpg

You could have strapped a Barbie on the top to make it all worthwhile Bill.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I like it. It certainly makes sense when it's loaded:

22222222222-XL.jpg

You could have strapped a Barbie on the top to make it all worthwhile Bill.

I think Gert had a barbie grill lying flat underneath that pile of stuff :D

He's got a can of Kalahari yellow paint left from painting the Desierto after he bought the bike from me, so we're going to paint the chariot in Kalahari :thumb2

We went scavenging for a new shock today at a bike breakers......the old one is fekked and it's running on just a spring with no shock in it at the moment....ok solo but no good loaded or two up.

mentola :D

was looking at f2's site

why they change the law from both to left only?

if youve gone to the trouble of learning to ride one surely keeping it out of the way of oncoming traffic wouldnt be a prob?

load wise shouldnt you sub fat german to biiiiig ginga?? :D

that corsa diesel thing wtf????

was looking at f2's site

why they change the law from both to left only?

if youve gone to the trouble of learning to ride one surely keeping it out of the way of oncoming traffic wouldnt be a prob?

Some committee or other probably decided that it would save 1.1 lives every decade :blast

They of course completely ignored the fact that those who want an outfit primarily to tour abroad would be placed in exactly the same 'dangerous' situation all the time over there :rolleyes:

Short sighted interfering cnuts :(

Well, after a coouple of months of testing, tuning and tweaking, plus a trial run from here up to Lincolnshire for a weekend rally, the outfit is going to be PROPERLY tested next week.....Shod with brand new TKC80s on the bike and the decent new-ish car tyre on the rig, plus a car battery wired in to a split charger, it's going to the Elefant down in Bavaria-Thurmansbang-Solla

Two up, with a new spring and shock, fully loaded, it'll be a good test of our engineering :thumb2

Guess who gets to stay at home and look after the shed :blast

Last minute panic bodging today.....

Loaded up, with the two of us fat bastards jumping up and down on the rig, we decided that the shock wasn't up to spec.

Armed with three or four old shocks from the cellar and various 'odds and sods' bins, we got out the whirry sharp tools and started playing

P1040571-XL.jpg

That's the unit we settled on, with a progressive spring on it

P1040570-XL.jpg

The bottom mounting point would have to move back a few inches. The suspension tower would have to be strengthened up as well...we didn't like the 'feel' of the look of the top part, it just 'felt' like the weak spot IYKWIM

Before the new piggyback swingarm went on (we like making up new engineering terms :D)

Out come the choppy uppers

P1040575-XL.jpg

The bit of angle iron going across the 'swing arm' is going to be to glue the piggyback swingarm to.

You can also see the cleaned surface of the spacer between the two swing arm plates here

P1040569-L.jpg

Offering it all up and prior to strengthening fillet/paint

P1040573-XL.jpg

Then a strengthening fillet at the top of the suspension turret, and if you look at the end of the new piggyback swingarm, you'll see we cut a v in that, bent it up half an inch with our impact adjuster (XL) and welded it back up.
That was all to add an extra half inch or so of preload to the spring.

P1040578-XL.jpg

Back on with the mudguard and it all looks pretty good (well, we think so :p)

P1040580-XL.jpg

Out she goes, and we run it around the yard a bit with the fattest bloke on site (That'll be me then :rolleyes:) jumping up and down on the sidecar floor to do a proper scientific controlled measurement of all the exact suspension parameters that are crucial in setting up a sidecar for a trip to the Elefant next week.....

:bounce1 feels good :bounce1:bounce1 yup that's ok too :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1 fuckit, it's fine, let's get the kettle on :JB

end-XL.jpg

No project should ever stand still for long, or stop altogether.

So today, out came the whirly sparky tool, the big electric glue gun and we got jazzy in the workshop :)

IMG_00000118-X2.jpg

IMG_00000117-X2.jpg

A bit more tubing got electric glued on.....

IMG_00000113-X2.jpg

Then we offered up the new scrapyard find.......

IMG_00000124-X2.jpg

Perfikk fit.......as nicely made as a Vernatech box, but stainless steel....inch and a half of lip with rubber door trim going up into the lid, so it ought to be waterproof too :thumb

IMG_00000122-X2.jpg

We ran out of time, having spent several hours trying to reset the airbag suspension on the G4 up on the ramps (frikking sensors didn't want to zero out :blast)

IMG_00000111-XL.jpg

Next week, we'll finish off the frame, paint it all up again and then fit a split charge system and aux truck battery into the steel box.

(oh, and re-wire the LED lighting on the back end of the box)

In a couple of weeks, we have a full leading link suspension set up coming in from a project bike in Holland......we have already got hold of a drive shaft (from a PTO winch system) and the plan is to machine up a widgety farkle to bolt into the GS rear wheel and run it to the chair wheel with a locking hub system to be able to select 2wd (we'll need to rebuild the whole subframe of the chair to route it, and build a new suspension turret system to mount and take it all) :bounce1

We're also cataloguing it , so when we get to a stage where we're happy with it all, we can do more builds in a similar vein......so if anyone wants a custom built rig, let us know :thumb

This one, as it stood first thing this morning, now has 2500 miles on it, including a good long run down tot he Elefant and a lot of mud-plugging there, and not one of the witness makes has moved a single millimetre.....it's solid as fekk, properly stable on the road and fully legal :thumb2

IMG_00000107-X2.jpg

Crappy picture from my old phone, as the USB card reader isn't working :rolleyes:

IMG00012-20130322-1216-L.jpg

Sidecar in pukka kalahari yellow :JB

At some point, I threatened to post about the new sidecar plans we had for a brick......originally, it was going to be a duplex build with MY K100RS/LT/fairinged beasty, done in tandem with a friend's K bike.

For all sorts of reasons that are irrelevant, my own K bike had to be sold, so plans got a bit fekked up, particularly as mine was going to be the 'mule' for measurements, pre-fabrication mockups and general tossing about with as regards ideas.....

However, shit happens yet playing with our toys shit must go on, so here we are again nearly two years after the 1100 build (which by the way has since been to Germany and back several times and is in use as daily transport VERY successfully, with a good solid ride, no percieved need for leading link setup and a fucking massive load carrying capability for winter rallys, which is what we built it for :clap :beerjug:

So here we are......The Brick build.....same principles as the 1100 boxer build (IE WELL over-engineered, following good advice and proportions to try and make a stable, reliable and practically indestructible chair rig that will cruise at 60 all day for weeks with no nasty surprises, carry kegs of beer, extra food, full on camping kit for extreme events like the PROPER elefant and that will be not TOO Fugly,but remain purposeful and functional)

TEASER.......

DSC00596-XL.jpg

Scaffold tube? REALLY? :nenau

Oh yuss :D

Back
Top Bottom