G650GS Sertao electrical outlet for gps

John S

Reaction score
Hi I am looking at powering a GPS from my G650GS Sertao and wonder if anyone knows of a convenient switched power outlet connection that does not necessitate cutting the wiring, I don’t have the additional power socket outlet fitted on my bike, but if I can find where it would plug into then I could connect to this.
Any one have a circuit diagram or wiring diagram

Thanks John

Hi John an welcome,

We had a similar problem on Mrs P's 2011 G650GS/FL as i 'forgot' to order a power socker when we specced the bike.

For simplicity I just fitted a fused socket directly to the battery and all i do is pull the plug out when i'm not using the GPS...........Handy for keeping the bike charged over the winter on the Optimate battery charger/conditioner aswell.

I wasn't sure where to tap into a 'switched' power supply either.............!

Have you tried www.F650.co.uk section for model specific information?

FP.

This is for the F but may be of use. :thumb2

Edit - My hazy memory is telling me the accessory socket on the F is permanently live as I used to use it to charge my phone left under the seat with the bike parked up...

Last edited:
I'm looking for exactly the same thing. I found a spare connector next to the jump start terminal under the seat, but I put a voltmeter on over all of it and couldn't get a reading out of it. Next step is to take the bodywork off the top of the bike and keep looking.

Failing that, I'll use a posi-tap into the tail light wire to get the switched feed.

Hi I am not sure if it helps because it was on a 2002 bikebut it may do.

On the single spark f650gs I thinkthat I used a wiring connecter on the harness that was hidden on the frame.
on the part number 10. that was to wire to a power socket.not direct to a gps.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0172&mospid=51601&btnr=46_0561&hg=46&fg=05
it could be worth looking?take off seat and look under part 10 bracket. sitting forward on the bike it was on the rt offside.

I hope that makes sense and help:blast Jason

Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information, I have had a good look around under the seat and there is a spare connector with 4 wires.:)
wire colours are Green + Yellow stripe. Red. Blue + yellow stripe and Brown. comparing the voltages it would seem that the Red is a constant 12V feed but the Green + Yellow stripe is switched, as I am not sure how much current can be drawn from the Green + Yellow feed then I will use it to power a small relay that will supply fused power directly from the battery, so at least I should not forget to unplug the kit and flatten the battery.

Cheers John

Thanks for the information, I have had a good look around under the seat and there is a spare connector with 4 wires.:)
wire colours are Green + Yellow stripe. Red. Blue + yellow stripe and Brown. comparing the voltages it would seem that the Red is a constant 12V feed but the Green + Yellow stripe is switched, as I am not sure how much current can be drawn from the Green + Yellow feed then I will use it to power a small relay that will supply fused power directly from the battery, so at least I should not forget to unplug the kit and flatten the battery.

Cheers John
The power plug for the power socket is on the left hand side of the frame cable tied to the frame. It is a constant live feed. Is the 4-wire connector next to the jump start bolt at the front of the seat, slightly to the right?

The power plug for the power socket is on the left hand side of the frame cable tied to the frame. It is a constant live feed. Is the 4-wire connector next to the jump start bolt at the front of the seat, slightly to the right?
yes the socket is next to the jump start bolt, I dont fancy using a permanent live feed as things can get left on.

Cheers John

It's the trip computer

Cheers John

That 4 wire is for the optional trip computer. The last wire (blue N yellow) is hooked up to the tacho/Speedo. I have bought the appropriate BMW harness repair connector to get a nice clean install for my GPS.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom