Bwlch y Groes takes no prisoners

Spectacular countryside and very challenging trails. I get the sense of achievement from getting through it but I'm a bit lost about two things (please, this is a genuine enquiry):

1. In those conditions are you not 'damaging the trail' as $WD drivers are often criticised for doing, even if it is on a lesser scale?

2. Don't you get overtaken by pedestrians?

:confused:

1. No.
The fact it doesn't get used often causes more damage to the 'road' in this case. This is a 'road' btw
It's an old Roman road, now a Council owned UCR, if it became impassable they could argue there's no funds to maintain it and so close it.
Many responsible 'trail' riders also help by cutting out fallen trees, branches etc.

2. Yes. Well we would but not many pedestrians go there

It's not about sense of achievement, just a challenging ride.

count me in as a possible,,so long as Gaz ain't taking is heavy beast of a thing

count me in as a possible,,so long as Gaz ain't taking is heavy beast of a thing

Timpo and Matt are keen to do a 650+ ride soon
AndyC is going to ruck and maul his XC over.
I'm sure they'll help Knobby you when your "ready to race" special get's stuck.:thumb

Cheers for posting up Tim; only just spotted the thread. Will let Steve know.

Some excellent pics and they had me laughing out loud.

Great memories in retrospect when you're warm and recovered; not sure I was so enamoured on the day! I was goosed by the time I got home!

Gareth

Crackin entertaining day, as per usual for one of Gareth's rides.:thumb
But i never want to see or touch another muddy X challenge again, no offence Finn.

Just found this lost soul ..... looking for something , or maybe he just binned it , or maybe this is one of many Edwina's re-alignments :thumb

eddielooking.jpg

650+ day

having spent the last 48 hours on the GSA doing 600 miles i rekon its the one to take!!!
I rekon you could pannier up with stoves sleeping bags and tents and spend a week or so trying to get across :eek:

Seriously its not 650 country at all as Tim says its a fooked day too low for the ruts and too heavy to lift on your own when suction mud stuck!!

That said a 650 day in muddy meifod could be a new challenge:eek:

we planned to ride this this from Pentre Bont in the summer this year and were told it wasnt a legal trail, as this was our first run over there we gave him the benefit of the doubt and turned around.
the only way through looked like a small metal gate at the edge of a garden, is this the correct route? and if so once we get through the gate would we be onto Bwlch y Groes or are there any more tricks to throw us off the scent.

thanks for any help
Matt

we planned to ride this this from Pentre Bont in the summer this year and were told it wasnt a legal trail, as this was our first run over there we gave him the benefit of the doubt and turned around.
the only way through looked like a small metal gate at the edge of a garden, is this the correct route? and if so once we get through the gate would we be onto Bwlch y Groes or are there any more tricks to throw us off the scent.

thanks for any help
Matt

Are you a rambler?
Who said it's not legal? And how don't they know it is legal?
And, was the gate locked when you arrived at it? If it wasn't, you can blame North Wales TRF for having the lock removed, and the owner of the lock spoken to by Gwynedd Highways.

Matt, are you in the TRF?

Are you a rambler?
Who said it's not legal? And how don't they know it is legal?
And, was the gate locked when you arrived at it? If it wasn't, you can blame North Wales TRF for having the lock removed, and the owner of the lock spoken to by Gwynedd Highways.

Matt, are you in the TRF?

No im not a rambler, thanks.
It was the man who lived in the house to the left of the gate that told us we couldnt go through. He gave us no evidence of it not being legal and the gate wasnt locked.

Im not a member of the trf but i can now see the benefits of being a member.

I have been struggling to get definate answers regarding "rights of way" i have visited the council various times, mainly Wrexham to find out about the status of lanes in the Chirk area, the highways dept say if its on the list of streets we can use it but the rights of way dept are a lot more vague.

When i join the trf could i get help with this at the meetings and if i couldnt make it to meetings (shift work) is there other help available?

Thanks
Matt

It was the man who lived in the house to the left of the gate that told us we couldnt go through. He gave us no evidence of it not being legal and the gate wasnt locked.

I have been struggling to get definate answers regarding "rights of way" i have visited the council various times, mainly Wrexham to find out about the status of lanes in the Chirk area, the highways dept say if its on the list of streets we can use it but the rights of way dept are a lot more vague.

When i join the trf could i get help with this at the meetings and if i couldnt make it to meetings (shift work) is there other help available?

Thanks
Matt

For help, you can ring your local TRF ROWay officer or there is also a national TRF Forum for help and advice too, once you join

Good, glad to hear it.....:comfort

It was the man who lived in the house to the left of the gate that told us we couldnt go through.

That tennant has since left, and I have GCC's word that the 'new resident' is now aware that the route is a county road. ;)

I have always chuckled when reading posts on the interweb asking for info on where the trails are...... usually posted by folk, having spent several thousands of pounds on an orange lemon and about the same amount on useless anodised shite and a jaffa coloured suit now desperate to ride and show the trail world how they are Knighter-standard, and then fall at the last by not joining the TRF, the UK's largest trail riding community.....:nenau

For the cost of a front tyre, you are able to ride almost every weekend, and even mid-week with the retirees and shiftworkers, so £45 per annum and you're in.

Yes, and yes if you know the right people to speak with.....:augie

Get it sorted....:thumb2

Timpo.

I have always chuckled when reading posts on the interweb asking for info on where the trails are...... usually posted by folk, having spent several thousands of pounds on an orange lemon and about the same amount on useless anodised shite and a jaffa coloured suit now desperate to ride and show the trail world how they are Knighter-standard, and then fall at the last by not joining the TRF, the UK's largest trail riding community.....:nenau

For the cost of a front tyre, you are able to ride almost every weekend, and even mid-week with the retirees and shiftworkers, so £45 per annum and you're in.

A very saliant point and one worth noting:clap

Only joking, managed to avoid orange.
I live in wrexham so will be at Buckley when work allows.

Back
Top Bottom