Farkles, Farkles, Farkles.... Winglets - Good or Bad?

I did 120 miles last weekend wearing summer gloves. Hands got chilly but nor seriously cold so the winglets must be doing some good.

08 GSA

Fitted a set on my 30th Anniversary GS from Nippy Normans as BMW didn't do the tinted ones to match the original screen. Noticeable difference to turbulence around the lower body, work a treat.

I did 120 miles last night in heavy rain. The winglets and screen were great (GSA) my top half was nearly dry just slightly damp down the front of my neck. My bottom half was also dry - a first for me as every other bike I've used would have caused soggy crotch syndrome.

BUT my legs got absolutely drenched and cold from the heat sink effect of all the water. The suit kept me dry but water off the back wheel absolutely soddened the leggings' outer shell. I expect the hugger improved things so who knows what it would be like without. I've taken the standard mud flinger off to see if that's the culprit,

Fitted a set on my 30th Anniversary GS from Nippy Normans as BMW didn't do the tinted ones to match the original screen. Noticeable difference to turbulence around the lower body, work a treat.
Mmmm i will be over your neck of the woods on the 24th of May for the TT, im staying till the 10th June in Douglas.

Yes have them fitted standard GS. Used with my Givi screen great. Glad I had them for the IronButt RBLR1000 this year. Rain for most of the day.

Wingletts!!! FFS!!

I hope your having the matching colour scheme

bmw-r1200gs-barbie.jpg

Mine came in very handy on Saturday and Monday when both days I was dong >100 miles in heavy rain. Small things like the tank top winglets make enough difference for the GSA to feel like a full faired bike rather than the wannabe Willys Jeep it really is.

Compared to my Diversion 900, which isnt under endowed with plastic, there's no contest.

I'd rather wear a pink tutu than have winglets on a bike :D

So you will be happy to hear that my set of lovely winglets are still in the parcel.
Not made up my mind about adding more bits to clean on the bike.

I have a 2008 GS1200 with the adv screen and winglets fitted. compared to my previous bog standard 1200gs, this one allows me to ride with visor up at all speeds I am likely to do ie sensible not fast. I'm, 1.75 metres tall sitting low on the bike with the low seat.

The bike came equipped with the screen. Would I spend the money on converting a standard bike - no I wouldnt. Not enough of an issue.

In this recent bout of very hot weather we have all been enjoying (?) I decided to remove the winglets on my 12 plate GS Adv. The result is a very welcome increase in draft at waist level around to kidneys and even a noticeable draft across top of thighs. Well worth doing when it's too bloody hot . Winglets are currently packed to take with me on an imminent trip to Geneva and will refitted only if prolonged rain is forecast en route - otherwise I shall ride proudly winglet-less!

Almost 6 years........that has to be some sort of a record!

Sent from a U11

You can get winglets (deflectors) on eBay for about £30 a pair. They don’t craze and crack like OEM deflectors.
to avoid cracking, I used 3mm slivers of coolant hose as washers between the bodywork and deflectors with thick 20mm “penny” washers above.

They make no difference to head shaking turbulence. Great in cold weather but better removed when it’s hot.

You can get winglets (deflectors) on eBay for about £30 a pair. They don’t craze and crack like OEM deflectors.
to avoid cracking, I used 3mm slivers of coolant hose as washers between the bodywork and deflectors with thick 20mm “penny” washers above.

They make no difference to head shaking turbulence. Great in cold weather but better removed when it’s hot.

Thanks for the tip. Now on my 2nd set of winglets, about 3 years in and they are badly cracked and on borrowed time.

Back
Top Bottom