Suspension advice

Hi,

depends on how much and how it has been lowered? have the standard shocks been lowered by installing a spacer? or maybe lowering springs?

can you give me more details on how it has been lowered.

Thanks
FTR

Hi

The bike is the single cam 2009 model with factory lowered suspension

Front standard 190 mm lowered 158 mm
Rear standard 200 mm lowered 171 mm

i hope this helps

Pat

Hi Pat

For your lowered version i would recommend 15-20mm static on the rear and 48-53mm Rider sag.
For the front 30-35mm static.

Regards
FTR Suspension

My question is how do i improve the suspension/handling of my 2010 GSA with ESA. Its now done 25000 miles and feels like its gone off a bit to be honest when i occasionally ride a mates bike. Is it worth an overall or are their Wilbers i should look at or being ESA is it only the expensive Ohlims? thanks

Hi, Unfortunately there are not many ( if any ) that will take on servicing the ESA system. We used to be able to when we were the importers for WP because we could obtain the service parts but since KTM closed the WP factory they are not availble anymore.

It is becoming for common now especially between 20-25,000 miles that the ESA suspension starts showing signs of a decline in performance and the only way to improve the handling is to replace the system with a traditional non electronic set up. although Ohlins do produce a replacement Mechatronics system but it is expensive. but very good. If this is a direction for you then Wilbers, Ohlins, Hyper pro and Yacugar are all good options for repalcement aftermarket products. We are now replacing many of the ESA systems with non electronic suspension with great feed back and the customers are not missing the electronic options with the ESA.

Ohlins for xt660z

Hi
This is for anyone in the know really
Can anyone tell me the best price that I can an ohlins rear shock
For my xt60z tenere. 2010 (not abs)
New or used
Thanks.

Hi, a new Ohlins starts at £490 for an emulsion unit with rebound damping and manual preload adjustment.
Used prices will vary, if you can find one on the net as they are not a common shock.

Regards
FTR Suspension

Thanks for reply
No doubt they are an awesome shock but bit too
Steep for me . Is there a certain shock I should be
Searching for or a code, also is there another bike
That shares the same shock that I could search for?
Thanks

Hi, Unfortunately there are not many ( if any ) that will take on servicing the ESA system. We used to be able to when we were the importers for WP because we could obtain the service parts but since KTM closed the WP factory they are not availble anymore.

It is becoming for common now especially between 20-25,000 miles that the ESA suspension starts showing signs of a decline in performance and the only way to improve the handling is to replace the system with a traditional non electronic set up. although Ohlins do produce a replacement Mechatronics system but it is expensive. but very good. If this is a direction for you then Wilbers, Ohlins, Hyper pro and Yacugar are all good options for repalcement aftermarket products. We are now replacing many of the ESA systems with non electronic suspension with great feed back and the customers are not missing the electronic options with the ESA.

Very interesting point. The implications though are staggering for anyone contemplating a second-hand bike.

Thanks for reply
No doubt they are an awesome shock but bit too
Steep for me . Is there a certain shock I should be
Searching for or a code, also is there another bike
That shares the same shock that I could search for?
Thanks

Unfortunately these are the cheapest in the Ohlins range with there street line performance shocks so even one from another bike will be the same price.
Ohlins is a high end product and do not try to be cheap because of there heritage.
Yacugar produce the ERS emulsion shock built to your requirements for £358 inc vat. and has 5 year warranty!

My (ESA) bike had 32K on the clock but only 5K on the back shock because it was replaced under warranty.

Before its too late, I fancy having a Wilbers WESA and recouping some of the cost by selling the nearly new BMW ESA shock with its warranty provenance. The front is the original so wont be worth as much as the back.

My (ESA) bike had 32K on the clock but only 5K on the back shock because it was replaced under warranty.

Before its too late, I fancy having a Wilbers WESA and recouping some of the cost by selling the nearly new BMW ESA shock with its warranty provenance. The front is the original so wont be worth as much as the back.

We are currently offering an exchange scheme for oem shocks which helps towards an aftermarket new shock.

http://www.ftrsuspension.co.uk/exchangescheme.htm

Just wondering if you guys work on wp 4860s? I want to slightly shorten a set and fit new progressive springs. I'm happy to fit the spring but have no idea if one can shorten these things at all. Thanks in advance,

Hi, With regards to your WP 4860 front forks we can shorten them which we have done on many occasions for customers that want them converted to SuperMoto.
As long as yours are the regular MX length then we can be carry out this modification but if they are already shortened then we do not have springs to suit a shorter length.

Also to my knowledge there is not an option of progressive springs for 4860 front fork. We have only installed linear springs in these forks.

What bike are you fitting these forks into.

Regards
FTR Suspension

Thanks for the reply... yes they are standard length... I want to fit them to a r80 g/s. Also, the linear springs are fine... I was just curious. I'll give you guys a ring at the end of the week to work out a few more details.

Many thanks.

suspension

Can anyone tell me if there is a manufactures warranty on the suspension.

hi FTR
just a quick how to set up the sag on a gs would be good for a noob like me
its a basic gs with no electric suspension
cheers
Martin

Hi, apologise for the delay as I have been away from the workshop.
Basically put the bike on the centre stand and take a measurement from the wheel spindle (rear ) and the somewhere vertical on the rear of the bike frame,rear seat unit etc. on the front from the dust seal to the underside of the bottom clamp making sure the wheels are off the ground!!
Then remove the bike from the stand and with someone holding the bike at the handle bars take the same measurements again and this will be your static sag. On a standard suspension they would be around 20-30mm rear and 30-40mm front approx.
if you get stuck and you are local then pop down and we can show you how do check it.

Back
Top Bottom