'05' R1200GS Complete Electrical Failure

roseburnron

Reaction score
Need some advice on latest issue with GS, before seeking help.

Short spin on bike today ended with the bike electrics completely cutting out when in the outside lane of a local dual carriageway (complete unexpected & immediate loss of power)

Nothing at all on the electronic display, and speedo/rev counter needles are stuck where they were at the point of loss of power.

No obvious cable/wire hanging and tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if this might clear a fault, but still absolutely nothing when ignition turned on.

Remain clueless with such matters, but beginning to learn thanks to you more knowledgeable chaps on this website, and the ever regular faults !!

Thanks in advance of some advice.:nenau

My guess would be ignition switch related maybe wiring where it passes around headstock, give it a wiggle and see. Don't think the immobiliser would be at fault as the ECU only requests confirmation on start-up. :comfort

That's what usually happens when you don't fully charge the battery specially during the winter . ABS eats lots off power but don't worry you are not the first one so just put it down to a experience :)

Check to see if battery is giving power with a voltmeter . If no power, you have battery issue, if there is, electrical issue -check fuses first.:thumb

Check to see if battery is giving power with a voltmeter . If no power, you have battery issue, if there is, electrical issue -check fuses first.:thumb

fuses? no fuses on a 1200 im afraid but good advice:rolleyes:

What, I've bought a bike that doesnt have any fuses?

I stand corrected. :beerjug:

btw im with duckspeed,ign switch or wiring short nearby,or under tank.

What, I've bought a bike that doesnt have any fuses?

I stand corrected. :beerjug:

yes your bike hasnt any fuses,electronic breakers witin the ecu control current flow to all the consumers,and while im being helpful did you know your steering lock works on either side:D

Thanks all for advice.

Reassuring that none have said that it's some catastrophic failure with the electronics requiring a remortgage to replace.

Will try some of the quick fix suggestions.

Happy new year to all when it comes.:beerjug:

Had similar with my 2010 a few weeks ago, problem turned out to be a chaffed wire coming from the battery.

My guess would be the switch on the bottom of the ignition barrel. Take it off and see if it will turn with a screwdriver.

I had something very similar a few years ago on an 1100. I would get an intermittent total power failure which turned out to be the battery connections. The thread was starting to strip on bolt which held the positive terminal on. It took some working out because it felt tight.

As above ...

Be methodical: check the battery first. Then the battery connections. Then the wiring from the battery, especially around the headstock where breakages can occur due to flexing. Then the ignition lock / barrel.

I've a multimeter and charger and heavy duty jump leads if you need em. Just pm.

Happy new year also.

I wish I was closer, I could have come and taken a look.
As 'some' others have said, check battery + terminals first, if you've got ample battery power and good connections then start checking around the headstock / ignition area.
Here's a handy tip. If you're checking for a potential broken / chaffed wire, try to put the bike in a dark garage or shed, switch on the ignition and disturb all the wiring, you'll soon see tiny blue flashes as it arcs!
Good luck!

I had this twice - after investigation with the diagnostic computer it turned out to be the coil pack. I replaced all of the coils (not cheap) and that fixed the problem.

Here's a handy tip. If you're checking for a potential broken / chaffed wire, try to put the bike in a dark garage or shed, switch on the ignition and disturb all the wiring, you'll soon see tiny blue flashes as it arcs!
Good luck!

I like that....First great tip of the year......:thumb

Back
Top Bottom