Classic Bike Bandwagon

The current economic climate must have some bearing on it as there is little point in putting spare cash in the bank. I spent my Xmas bonus on a classic scooter that is sitting in my dining room and will not move from there. I can`t imagine I would get much enjoyment from riding it, but I like the design aspect of them so I can just look at it whilst eating my caviar and foie gras.
Does that make me a bad man who is driving up values to the detriment of proper scooting enthusiasts:D

I have to agree. I put a 1950 Norton 500 single on the road for nostalgic reasons as it had been in the family for about 35 years when it was acquired and partly restored by a relative who was taken very seriously ill last year and I thought it would be nice to put it on the road as a favour to him . I am glad to say he ,against all odds ,recovered and managed to take a short ride on it so that was a worthwhile effort. But the bike is a bag of shit to ride and probably going up in value which is more than can be said about my GS . If I keep it a few years it will probably be worth more than the GS even though it will always be 60 years older .Nonsense isn't it.

To all you people thinking you have an old bike and it's an investment I'm afraid the bubble is about to burst.
It is unsustainable.

People said houses were rock solid investments that can only continue to go up in value.....
In the 1920's in the US people kept buying shares because they were a wonderful investment and the value continued to go up, until 1929 when it all went bang.

Sell now while you are still in profit.

All IMHO of course.

I have to agree. I put a 1950 Norton 500 single on the road for nostalgic reasons as it had been in the family for about 35 years when it was acquired and partly restored by a relative who was taken very seriously ill last year and I thought it would be nice to put it on the road as a favour to him . I am glad to say he ,against all odds ,recovered and managed to take a short ride on it so that was a worthwhile effort. But the bike is a bag of shit to ride and probably going up in value which is more than can be said about my GS . If I keep it a few years it will probably be worth more than the GS even though it will always be 60 years older .Nonsense isn't it.

I know this thread is about the silly money some are asking for certain old M/Cs that have no sentimental value or real worth to some of the posters here but you are completely missing the point of Classic bikes.
I have a motley collection of old and not so old M/Cs and their real value and pleasure to me is repairing, servicing and riding the bikes and the interesting people I meet through a shared interest. OK, so it's not everyones cup of tea which is just as well or old M/Cs would be even more costly.

To all you people thinking you have an old bike and it's an investment I'm afraid the bubble is about to burst.
It is unsustainable.

People said houses were rock solid investments that can only continue to go up in value.....
In the 1920's in the US people kept buying shares because they were a wonderful investment and the value continued to go up, until 1929 when it all went bang.

All IMHO of course.

Maybe, maybe not. At the end of the day I expect to lose less on any of my motley collection of Classics then I will lose on my 1200RT when I eventually sell. In fact, I expect most people will lose more on their new-ish BMW then I paid for most of my old bikes when they sell.

I have a motley collection of old and not so old M/Cs and their real value and pleasure to me is repairing, servicing and riding the bikes and the interesting people I meet through a shared interest. OK, so it's not everyones cup of tea which is just as well or old M/Cs would be even more costly.

That novelty soon wears off, after a few years:D

When every bike needs something doing all at different times:blast

It is unsustainable.

All IMHO of course.

Depends how much you paid in the first place and what it is.
I am of the opinion that certain old bikes will always have a following and have strong values yet others are temporarily popular due to their moment in time and these are the ones that may lose value.
I reckon the FS1-E`s are the latter. Once those that owned them as teenagers die off (that includes me:D) or are too old to ride and move them on they will not have enough appeal to sustain their current values. I also think the aforementioned run-of-the-mill old British bikes will suffer the same fate. Once those that grew up when they were still around snuff it I can`t see who will want them.
On the other hand bikes like the RC30, Laverda Jota, Ducati 916, Tonti framed Moto Guzzis will always have a following due to either their aesthetic beauty or competitive success or, even better, both.

I think the interest in true classic bikes is self sustaining. As Devon describes it is a much more involving hobby than owning a modern bike that can only be dealer maintained. There are lots of organised classic bikes meets and runs and everyone loves to get out in the spring and show off the results of their winter labour. It's also nice knowing that the money you spend is not generally down the drain.

Interestlingly, in France many classic bikes are in the 100/250 bracket usually locally made (Peugeot, Monet Goyon, Motobecane, Gima etc.) many of which are just one step up from a Velosolex or Mobylette although they don't seem to have risen to the silly prices that some small Jap bikes have in the UK so it's still quite a cheap hobby.

The whole 'classic' thing is an enigma to me. It seems that anything that is old and still going/viable is given classic status effectively devalueing worthwhile classics.

The dull 'of no consequence' 125 commuter is just a seller trying it on but may be bought by someone overwrought with nostalgia who never got their bike licence.

Absolutely, nail on the head. :thumb2

Some of the vehicles don't even have to be viable and the single biggest give away of bandwagon jumping is that four figure starting price. That's before you work out whether or not any parts are even salvageable. :blast

Absolutely, nail on the head. :thumb2

Some of the vehicles don't even have to be viable and the single biggest give away of bandwagon jumping is that four figure starting price. That's before you work out whether or not any parts are even salvageable. :blast

Wise words:clap:clap

heard it all before. in fact, i can still hear myself saying "£3.5K for a jota? mad money" :blast

i don't see prices crashing any time soon. might at some time in the future, perhaps when interest rates rise, who knows?

maybe a group of people who themselves admit they don't understand the whole classic thing have the answer? :nenau

The vast majority of bikes these days are owned by older riders with high disposable incomes. They are leisure vehicles, used for pleasure rather than as an only form of transport.

Lots of these riders have owned modern bikes and have served their time commuting etc. and have probably toured at least Europe. So we have an increasing number of affluent riders who have been there, done it and have the stickers.

Consequently an impractical old bike that evokes a feeling of nostalgia and youth is going to appeal. Especially as the cost of the latest bikes is now passing £15,000 for a new GS / KTM / Ducati / Harley. Especially when you realise that your £15k investment isn't going to turn a head down the pub, whilst a nice example of a '70s bike will gather admiring looks and do everything you need for less than £5,000.

Makes most 'classics' look like a bargain to me :nenau

The vast majority of bikes these days are owned by older riders with high disposable incomes. They are leisure vehicles, used for pleasure rather than as an only form of transport.

Lots of these riders have owned modern bikes and have served their time commuting etc. and have probably toured at least Europe. So we have an increasing number of affluent riders who have been there, done it and have the stickers.

Consequently an impractical old bike that evokes a feeling of nostalgia and youth is going to appeal. Especially as the cost of the latest bikes is now passing £15,000 for a new GS / KTM / Ducati / Harley. Especially when you realise that your £15k investment isn't going to turn a head down the pub, whilst a nice example of a '70s bike will gather admiring looks and do everything you need for less than £5,000.

Makes most 'classics' look like a bargain to me :nenau

Wise words :clap :clap :augie

...interesting thread...

...EXPECT my two pennith will put you to sleep, but i'm in my late 30's and am terrified of pensions, so I hope my morgage and bikes will stand me in reasonable sted. I 'invested' in a ZB32 Gold Star that won a Gold medal in the 1950 ISTD, I have slowly gathered photo's and put together a folder of the bikes history, the only frustrating part is that I can't trace the Widow with the gold medal. Anyway I digress, the paper trail has been interesting and fun, whilst the bike it self is no show dolly, has a lovely patina and best of all, is the combination of firing up a 'knocky' old alli engine and the riding experience, brilliantly nostalgic, involving and fun. Whilst I may have pd over the odds for a couple of bikes, the pleasure of ownership outways the depreciation and isnt comparible to the hit im going to take on owning a GSA for four years. So I conclude that if it takes your fancy, gives you satisfaction and makes you smile when you open the garage/shed or in my case, living room door, 'SOD-IT'.....just scratch the itch !:thumb2

Last edited:
The current economic climate must have some bearing on it as there is little point in putting spare cash in the bank. I spent my Xmas bonus on a classic scooter that is sitting in my dining room and will not move from there. I can`t imagine I would get much enjoyment from riding it, but I like the design aspect of them so I can just look at it whilst eating my caviar and foie gras.
Does that make me a bad man who is driving up values to the detriment of proper scooting enthusiasts:D
Funny.

When I started biking, just after the Mods and Rockers era, a biker would not be seen dead having anything to do with scooters. How times change

I own a 1976 Suzuki GT750. bought as a wreck, spent a couple of grand sorting it. Don't care what its worth, or if it goes up or down in value. Just love riding it. And yes, it always gets people looking at it in a bike park. It is quite good fun to sit near it and listen to 'experts' talking about it....

Classic bikes as an investment will cease to have value soon! !
Why because look at the clientel at Stafford 40 to 70 yr olds who had bikes in 50 s to 80 s and enjoyed em and now have money to re aquire them albeit at inflated prices.

Fast fwd to the last 10 yrs or more recently 5 ys.the playstation x box generation . They aspirev to a corsa or fiat 500. They have no appetite for peds or 125's. so twenty years out they will not be buying supply will outstrip demand, we will be long gone and nothing will support the price.

Cars however still instill interest , fueled by top gear 5 th gear equivalents cars will maintain value.

Well thats me off my soapbox

Why because look at the clientel at Stafford 40 to 70 yr olds who had bikes in 50 s to 80 s and enjoyed em and now have money to re aquire them albeit at inflated prices.

Fast fwd to the last 10 yrs or more recently 5 ys.the playstation x box generation . They aspirev to a corsa or fiat 500. They have no appetite for peds or 125's. so twenty years out they will not be buying supply will outstrip demand, we will be long gone and nothing will support the price.

Cars however still instill interest , fueled by top gear 5 th gear equivalents cars will maintain value.

Agreed.

Very true...................the majority of bike interest, to sub 30 year olds is Dirtbikes

As you say the heyday of British & Jap bikes, is now

Classic vehicles are a self fulfilling prophecy in the long term, supply self restricts. If there's a market now, there will be a market in the future. The only question is the size of the market and the value of the individual bikes. Choose well and you'll make money in the long run, the trick is choosing well ;)

Trust me on this, an R1200GS Triple Black isn't choosing well :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom