Altberg Boots

Back in the 80s I wore a pair of Derryboots, utterly comfortable and warm, just like wearing carpet slippers but with as much protection. Then I bought a pair of Altberg touring boots, OK but with my high instep, always a bugger to put on sometimes taking two minutes to get each boot on. After fifteen years of struggling I decided to go up one size and bought a pair of lace-up Altberg Field & Fell. Not bad to walk around in but still a bloody struggle to get into them. I'm now thinking of returning to Derryboots to give them another try. The waterproofness would be an advantage, also the ease they can be slipped on and off. Image is not something which concerns me, just comfort. Derryboots used to market boots simply called (I think) 'Motorcycle Boots' which resembled proper motorcycle boots but molded in their rubber/vinyl but I haven't seen these around for years.

Cant go wrong with ALTBERG whatever style you go for ... the very best no doubt !:thumb

Please read the post again. I already have two pairs of Altbergs and have been wearing one pair for getting on for twenty years, but my high instep makes getting them on and off a right pain.

I love my Altbergs, and their flat inside sole works well for me. I have a fallen arch in one of my feet and have to use bespoke orthotic insoles. I can't fit these insoles into my other shoes as their soles are contoured in shape, but they fit a treat into my Altbergs.

Well - fed up with trying on RST, TCX, Sidi and every other floggin' make of boot to find that they are either too short or too wide; or, going up a size, too long or just plain too big. Also fed up with boots that don't last - velcro gives up after 6 months, leather cracks no matter how much dubbin you've thrown at it, soles worn through in no time....so I paid a visit to Richmond this morning and ordered a pair of Altberg Roadrunners. I'm definitely a size 10.5 which explains a lot really! :blast

Only downside - projected delivery date - 3rd week in August! :eek: Still...good things come to those who wait. :Motomartin

Well - fed up with trying on RST, TCX, Sidi and every other floggin' make of boot to find that they are either too short or too wide; or, going up a size, too long or just plain too big. Also fed up with boots that don't last - velcro gives up after 6 months, leather cracks no matter how much dubbin you've thrown at it, soles worn through in no time....so I paid a visit to Richmond this morning and ordered a pair of Altberg Roadrunners. I'm definitely a size 10.5 which explains a lot really! :blast

Only downside - projected delivery date - 3rd week in August! :eek: Still...good things come to those who wait. :Motomartin

I'm normally a 9 but a visit to the factory sized me as a 91/2 medium fit. Done almost 20k with my Roadrunners now throughout the year and they look almost new, excellent boots that won't disappoint

So on a military theme;
If I take a British Army Assault boot in a 12 wide, (snug but not roomy) what would that be in Altberg size?

Thanks! :thumb

So on a military theme;
If I take a British Army Assault boot in a 12 wide, (snug but not roomy) what would that be in Altberg size?

Thanks! :thumb
Give them a ring - if they didn't actually make your army issue boots, they'll probably know exactly who did and how their last sizes compare.

On the continuing story of my own boots; unfortunately I am still waiting for them...but apologies for the delay have been received from very high up in the firm and I expect delivery in the next week. Firstly, some twit gave me a delivery date in the first week of their annual shutdown :blast: and then, when they came back from hols, I was incorrectly told they would be another 4 weeks. :eek:

There has been a lot of work at Altberg over the summer reorganising the factory in Richmond (ironically, in order to make it more efficient) which has had a knock-on effect on production.

A mate of mine ordered his bike boots last week and they are currently quoting delivery in December...good things come to those who wait! :)

Give them a ring - if they didn't actually make your army issue boots, they'll probably know exactly who did and how their last sizes compare.

On the continuing story of my own boots; unfortunately I am still waiting for them...but apologies for the delay have been received from very high up in the firm and I expect delivery in the next week. Firstly, some twit gave me a delivery date in the first week of their annual shutdown :blast: and then, when they came back from hols, I was incorrectly told they would be another 4 weeks. :eek:

There has been a lot of work at Altberg over the summer reorganising the factory in Richmond (ironically, in order to make it more efficient) which has had a knock-on effect on production.

A mate of mine ordered his bike boots last week and they are currently quoting delivery in December...good things come to those who wait! :)

I ordered a pair of 12.5W last night and have been given a delivery date after bonfire night.

I also have a pair of British Army Pro Gore tex boot in a 12W which are smaller than the 12W Assault boot (maybe due to the liner, foot bed etc) so have just assumed by going half a size up as stated on Alt-Berg website, I shouldn't be too far out.

I think I have a little time to maybe try on a used pair, ring 'em up, or look into it a bit more and go up or down half a size before it's too late to change, at least I am on the waiting list now.

I don't mind waiting for the right gear either, and as they don't debit until dispatch, I don't mind at all. :beerjug:

... Well today I popped into Lockwoods in Leaminton Spa (Alt-Berg walking boot retailer) and was totally honest & said I had ordered a pair of Warrior boots but was unsure of sizing?
Next thing I'm 9 again and being measured up for a pair of Clark's Commando's for the new school year. I was presented with a pair of Fremmington boots in a 12W (which fitted a treat) and advised to ring Alt-Berg to confirm they are made on the same last?
Bird in Yorkshire confirmed they were and added they could get the smaller size by the end of this month, and if I needed the 12.5 they would still be in mid November ... so nothing to lose but the return postage.

Like to shout when I get good service & today I received just that! :beerjug:

... Well today I popped into Lockwoods in Leaminton Spa (Alt-Berg walking boot retailer) and was totally honest & said I had ordered a pair of Warrior boots but was unsure of sizing?
Next thing I'm 9 again and being measured up for a pair of Clark's Commando's for the new school year. I was presented with a pair of Fremmington boots in a 12W (which fitted a treat) and advised to ring Alt-Berg to confirm they are made on the same last?
Bird in Yorkshire confirmed they were and added they could get the smaller size by the end of this month, and if I needed the 12.5 they would still be in mid November ... so nothing to lose but the return postage.

Like to shout when I get good service & today I received just that! :beerjug:

Altberg Warriors showed up today & revised size was bang on the money! :roll

Dead comfy out of the box and lighter than expected too.

I am delighted so far! :thumby:

I've had a pair of Altberg clubman classics for about 8 years now. They need refurb about every 3-4 years and are the best boots I have ever owned bar none. Fully waterproof, comfortable to wear all day and still buff up well. Can't see me ever changing brand, or possible even the boots themselves!

I've had a pair of clubman classics since 97, don't use them much these days though, they had a refurb once. Got a pair of Bandogs a few years back and wore out the sole, just happened around the time I heard they'd stopped refurbing (they would've resoled ), so I sold them. Now got a pair of Hoggs, another great pair and even better when I called into the factory shop, they had a pair in my size . All have been great boots.

...and I expect delivery in the next week...good things come to those who wait! :)

...and they did! Had my Roadrunners for a couple of weeks now and they fit perfectly out of the box. They have taken a bit of getting used to; firstly because they are considerably deeper than my previous boots (some gear lever adjustment required), and, secondly, because they have a proper sole on them which means that I can't simply slide my left foot around on the pegs. I've also complicated things by changing bikes. :blast

Anyhow, the boots are brilliant, well worth waiting for and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone - except the impatient! :D

Popped into Richmond as we were passing on the way home from Scotland. Now i’d emailed them yesterday and got a rather kurt reply talking about walking boots:blast, even though my email said ‘motorcycle boots for the wife’
Anyway, i thought I’d better ring before we diverted off the A66, got a ‘what time will you be here?’ ‘Cant do much if you haven’t got an appointment ‘, well I persisted, confirmed there was room to park a motorhome and trailer, gave a rough time and managed to get confirmation they had Hoggs in womans size 3 upwards.
So we turned up, very busy, noseyed around, not a single hello or acknowledgment from any of the staff!! We looked at the Hoggs, totally not what the wife wanted, cant be doing with laces under her new Hideout salopettes. The only suitable boot would be a Roadrunner, but no idea if they go so small.
Now forgive me for dissing boots I think most you you love, but its rather basic. Virtually no ankle or shin protection, certainly not as good as our existing daytonas. I’ll agree they’re extremely well made, and :thumb2British made, but from what I could see they’re best motorcycle boot is just about comparable with Daytonas base model.
Anyway, we left without a word from anyone:nenau:nenau. Looks like we’ll be speaking to daytona to see what they can do for a replacement for her old ones, or maybe a refurbishment instead.
Rather disappointed, was expecting greatness from all the hype:mad:

Well, we were there last Monday, dropped in whilst passing on our way back from Haggs Bank. No appointment. They were more than accommodating, measuring up Lisa's feet for a pair of Hoggs to match mine (which I've had for five years) and then insisted on measuring mine to keep on file for future reference!

Everyone was friendly and even let us bring the hound in to stretch his legs rather than sit out in the pickup. Whilst we were there several uniforms from nearby Catterick came in to browse or collect orders so it wasn't simply quiet..

As for Hoggs vs Daytonas, I've had both Roadstar and Travelstar. Yes, they are as good if not slightly better BIKE boots (though not as long lasting) but off the bike, where TBF boots are in their element, the Hoggs are waaayy above and beyond.

Just our opinion.

Just been there this morning & although I have to wait a couple of months for the boots to be made I was made very welcome & the service was excellent

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

As for Hoggs vs Daytonas, I've had both Roadstar and Travelstar. Yes, they are as good if not slightly better BIKE boots (though not as long lasting) but off the bike, where TBF boots are in their element, the Hoggs are waaayy above and beyond.

Just our opinion.

The logical argument against that statement is, Sketcher memory foam trainers or Merrell trainers etc are comfier off the bike than Altberg boots. Or most bike boots for that matter.

While I wouldn't like to walk any distance in my battered old Daytona boots or my new Revit boots, they're both OK, especially the Daytonas. I had a pair of the taller, waterproof Hoggs for about 6 years and while they were comfortable enough, they were always far too stiff to feel natural to walk in and the sole felt as hard as. Totally bomb proof build quality, but maybe that is the "problem".

I'd always have a more un-bike friendly shoe when not on the bike.

D.

Consigned my super dooper expensive Daytonas back to the cupboard after one season and went back to my 20 year old plus Altberg Clubmans before buying a pair of new Altberg Roadrunners as well.

Its horses for courses but I find them a more comfortable boot with a far better sole for moving the bike around especially on gravel etc.

As for the staff speak as you fimd but we used to be issued with the Field and Fell boots at work and they were always excellent to deal with. The owner was always into old aircooled BMW's and good crack to talk to

Roadrunners

Had Roadrunner boots for 4/5 4 years - never leaked, warm - all round great boot but the zip went in the left boot. Phoned Altberg and all they said was sorry we dont do repairs anymore..... I know Altberg receives rave reviews but Iwas more than a tad disappointed with mine.

Back
Top Bottom