Air filter replacement R1150GS

cbrgaz

Reaction score
Is it better to stick to oem air filters or worth spending a little extra for a k&n?
Advice would be much appreciated.

I've had a K&N filter in my 1150 for the last 10 years ot so.. (about 40,000 miles) it all seems ok.. just clean it out every service.. ie tap it on the floor, a light spray with WD40.. and away you go. (Yes I know there's 'proper' oil, but I don't care...)

Stick with paper - I wouldn't use one on my own bikes as i've seen too many bikes with K&N filters with shite downstream of the filter.

Seen guys rock in looking at putting a K&N in, I open up the airbox and there is one already, but dry as a nuns ..., I advocate stick to paper and our enviroment is MUCH dustier than yours, as an aside do you grease/vaseline it top and bottom to ensure a dust tight seal? :beer:

+1

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. You would need to do a good few miles to make it worth doing on a cost basis. The OE ones are not hard to replace, and as stated above K +N are not maintenance free either.

as an aside do you grease/vaseline it top and bottom to ensure a dust tight seal? :beer:

This is something I've always done.. never found anything 'downwind' of the filter as Steppers says...

I don't consider spraying with a bit of oil as hard maintenance either.. far too much 'hearsay'... (a polite way of saying bollex) spoken..

This is something I've always done.. never found anything 'downwind' of the filter as Steppers says...

I don't consider spraying with a bit of oil as hard maintenance either.. far too much 'hearsay'... (a polite way of saying bollex) spoken..

How do you know how much wear is on the engine?

How do you know how much wear is on the engine?

...:blast because it's running! it's now done 55,000 mlies... doesn't use much oil... goes like a train... doesn't make any noises.. etc etc. etc..

Oh yeah.. I strip it down every lunch time to make sure..:D

My K&N has been fine and it's saved me throwing away several paper filters and the only crap in the airbox I have found is that from the engine breather hose passing a bit of oil and the water let in by the stupid air intake when fording.

I reckon they're worth the money if you do the mileage.

...:blast because it's running! it's now done 55,000 mlies... doesn't use much oil... goes like a train... doesn't make any noises.. etc etc. etc..

Oh yeah.. I strip it down every lunch time to make sure..:D

Funny..................:D

I have used a K&N on previous 1150's, but like Steptoe has said, a lot of crap gets to the wrong side

Now, on this 1150 - I use a £10 paper filter and the bike doesn't have debris on the wrong side

So you tell me?

Steppers is looking at these things all day, so I'll take his advice:thumb

Fairey nuff... I'll except that I may be the only person in the entire history of the universe that hasn't had any problems..

I'm born lucky..:thumb2

Funny..................:D

I have used a K&N on previous 1150's, but like Steptoe has said, a lot of crap gets to the wrong side

Now, on this 1150 - I use a £10 paper filter and the bike doesn't have debris on the wrong side

So you tell me?

Steppers is looking at these things all day, so I'll take his advice:thumb

Never had a problem with a k&n had one on my blades for the last 15years and the GS for about 9mnths so far.....bloody marvellous:thumb

I was under the impression that the GS runs lean as is and that a K&N would lean it out too much potentially burning valves :nenau:nenau
But then , I have been known to talk absolute bollocks !!! :D:D

Don't just take my advice - There's plenty of info on the internet about tests using K&N filters ;).

I prepped both bikes for Adrian and Russell on [URL="http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282346&highlight=laughing"]THIS[/URL] trip - standard paper filters, both bikes through africa and down to cape town. Then Russel took his across to tour around south america.

Went through both bikes on their return some months and many many miles later. They still had the standard paper air filters that they left with. :thumb

I prepped both bikes for Adrian and Russell on [URL="http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282346&highlight=laughing"]THIS[/URL] trip - standard paper filters, both bikes through africa and down to cape town. Then Russel took his across to tour around south america.

Went through both bikes on their return some months and many many miles later. They still had the standard paper air filters that they left with. :thumb

Mine still has the same paper filter that it came with . freshly serviced at 73000mls . it now has 97000 mls . I just tap the air filter to dislodge big lumps . hoover the air box out and back in she goes . It'll get changed when it starts to look grubby . :D

It does make you ponder how much money is wasted replacing a good air filter with a new one? I've yet to replace an air filter and notice any difference in mpg, which would be the indicator of a clogged filter. Never had one with physical damage either.

Back
Top Bottom