The Long Way Home 2005

Micky

Never knowingly understood
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Inspired by Oisin's 'Not Dead Yet' video's, being snowed in, and having a better computer these days, I've committed 'our' video to uTube.

Sue (Gracie on here) and myself set off in 2005 on our very own 'Long Way Home' trip. 20,000 miles through Russia, Siberia, Mongolia and the Gobi Desert, with no back up. We were arrested and thrown out of China and so returned The Long Way Home back through Mongolia, Russia and all the Stan's. We blagged a lift across the Caspian Sea and returned home through Europe.

Two geriatrics on two F650GS's. 26 countries ... no punctures. Our video camera and CD's with stored video and photographs were later stolen from our hotel room in Almety, Kazakhstan.

In the video you'll see Deggy and her son Khongor singing, we were fortunate to stop with them in Ulan Batar and were made most welcome.

So if you're bored witless, got cabin fever, or have unwelcome guests, get your feet up and stick your nose in. A bit slow to start with but gets better as it progresses I think :rob

Apologies for the quality, it was made at a time with limited equipment and certainly limited knowledge :blast

:beerjug:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pAFDD0typcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice one Micky enjoyed that.

1:02:12 WTF.... was that bloke really changing his wheel in the middle of 6 lanes of traffic :eek:

1:53:45 an interesting song and voice there :thumb2

Who was that playing at the end?

And what a classic.... "I don't like sand, I don't like ice" :D :D

Great stuff Mick; watching it in 1/2 hour installments :thumby:

Have you got images of the trip, inc ones of the two 650's?

-A

Nice onehttp://www.adventure.gs/Adventure.GS/Photos_LWH-1.html Micky enjoyed that.

1:02:12 WTF.... was that bloke really changing his wheel in the middle of 6 lanes of traffic :eek:

1:53:45 an interesting song and voice there :thumb2

Who was that playing at the end?

And what a classic.... "I don't like sand, I don't like ice" :D :D

Eyes like a shit house rat :eek:

That's Russia for ya .... and if I'm honest I hadn't even noticed it :blast

1:53:45 a Mongolian 'throat singer' of some repute. A local celeb by all accounts, and we were privileged to have him come and entertain us.

Before we set off on the trip Sue had been in touch with Khongor Guest House at Ulan Batar and arranged our stay with them. Degi & Toro ran the place, their son Khongor played the the Horse Head fiddle and although still at school was turning professional. The video was from a promotional video they had made. Lovely people indeed.

Great stuff Mick; watching it in 1/2 hour installments :thumby:

Have you got images of the trip, inc ones of the two 650's?

-A

There's piccies on the web site www.adventure.gs :thumb2
More precisely here :thumb2

Kushti, there's a fair bit on there to scour through. Very handy :beerjug:

I notice that you had tank panniers on the Dakar, who made/makes them Mick?

The tank panniers were by Aerostitch in America, superbly made and great piece of kit. Kept soft luggage in there, spare tubes, first aid kit etc helped cushion the inevitable drops :eek:

Mick and Sue , really enjoyed that and the photos from the website help tell the story. Utterly brilliant, just fires the imagination. The best evenings entertainment tonight.

Thanks for taking so much time putting it all together, Thats an Adventure.:thumby:

Andrew

Great video Micky :thumb I should imagine you're very much looking forward to the summer ahead, eh? ;)

They're the ones, great bit o' kit. Well made :thumb2

Mick and Sue , really enjoyed that and the photos from the website help tell the story. Utterly brilliant, just fires the imagination. The best evenings entertainment tonight.

Andrew

Ta ;)

13:30 minutes in; I bet you gave Sue a reet-good 'listening to' that day :wife :D

Indeed :D
"I don't do ice!" well I guess none if us do really :nenau

Great video Micky :thumb I should imagine you're very much looking forward to the summer ahead, eh? ;)

Summer? That's halfway through the year Rob :eek:
Already a week in Ireland under the belt .... Scottish Borders for Easter, Eifel's in April, Borders Bash in May + a week taking the Dutch KLM 'SkyRiders' around the Borders, Norway with Sue in June + a week camping with the Oirish Reprobates, a week to ten days on the 650's down the French Alps in July, Oktoberfeast in September + a week to the Schwarzwald :thumby:
Need to sort something out for October ... any ideas?
I'm not waiting for summer my boy :rob

Yipeeeee .....

Sent a message t'other day in the hope that one of the guys would respond ... to the Barnaul Bikers lads'n lasses ...

i-7Q87GXM-L.jpg

i-7VtH7fz-M.jpg

i-q4Rnr7B-M.jpg

Top photo, Nick on the right, telephoned me this evening, he's now in Turkey with his Ukrainian wife, couple of the others are still in Barnaul and keeping their heads down :thumb2

That's great Mick, after all these years you are still in contact with some of them...one of the many things that make travel so addictive, the people you meet :thumb2

That's great Mick, after all these years you are still in contact with some of them...one of the many things that make travel so addictive, the people you meet :thumb2

I couldn't agree more Mike. :thumb2

You can take all the photographs you want, but that's all they are, a two dimensional momento .... it's the people you meet along the way that you always remember :thumb2

Edit .... can't find our video on uTube, they must have pulled it!

Found this one though :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9uY8AjBo5KY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found this one though :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9uY8AjBo5KY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really enjoyed that, Sue is a natural in front of the lens :D

Back
Top Bottom