brembo brake callipers- wtf

Can anyone tell me why they think a piston needs replacing just because it has a hole on the pad face please.? ....:augie

It doesn't, noticed that the replacement pistons didn't have a face!

I am needing new front pistons & cant believe BMW will supply seals but not pistons. I can find 30mm diamater x 31mm deep but cant find 32mm diameter x 31m deep but can find 32mm diameter x 28.5mm deep but unsure if lack of depth would cause an issue when pads wear down i.e would there be a risk of piston popping at the extreme point of wear.

I will contact company pointed out by Antiquebiker to see if they can supply pistons only as other than pitting on piston I have no other issue other than needing new pads & disk as disk is down to 3.5mm. BMW are wanting £180 + vat for new disk so looking to see how much I can find a replacement for as not paying that. Thank goodness I only need one.

Any advice as to were I can get a disk & pads at a reasonable price gratefully appreciated.

Cheaper Replacement Disc(s)

Hi Plex,
In your quest for a cheaper front disc check out: www.allbikeengineering.co.uk I got a great set of front discs from them last July for £220 including VAT for the pair.
Admittedly they aren't that close to you but even with the postage I bet they will still be cheaper than Motorrad.
The front wheel photos on my Nitron rear shock thread show the ABE discs.
SuperTed

If anyone has caliper problems try these chaps.

http://www.powerhouse.uk/content/motorcycle-brakes/motorcycle-brake-caliper-rebuild-service.php

Had my R1200GSA rear caliper stripped, cleaned and refurbished. Total cost was about £40 inc. parts and was returned like new.
Returned in less than a week.
Hope this helps.

Spoke to guy at powerhouse & he has suggested I measure caliper depth as this will allay my worries about using piston with 28.5mm depth so will check this out first before ordering as it appears that no one not even Brembo do a 32mm diameter X 31mm deep piston :blast

Thanks guys for the links regarding front disk I am still doing my research :beer:

I am particularly interested in this disc (see link below) but it says it only Fits The BMW F650 CS (2000-06), BMW F650 GS (1993-07) BMW F650 ST (1993-00) , BMW G650 GS (2009-13) - I spoke to BMW & they state front disk for 2010 F650GS twin part No is same for these bikes but they also say that the F800GS disk is same part No as the 2010 F650GS but F880GS is a floating disk & F650GS is solid :blast so will they fit or not, any one have any ideas or experience regarding fitting disks from other models as price is better than BMW but not good if doesn't fit :blast

http://motorcycleparts-uk.co.uk/armstrong-front-solid-brake-disc-street-wavy-1pc-300mm-bmw-equiv-md650.html

Pistons

The hole is nothing important, just remove the disc with the hole in or leave it in. It has nothing to do with the actual inclosed brake fluid. The pistons are probably ok. Get them out clean them . clean the seal groves of corosion, clean the seals. Lube and put back together. I have done this many many times with no issues. Any pitting on the pistons will probably be not far enough down the piston to affect the pressure seal. I think the best suggestion is to get some one who has more experience to show you how to do it.

Ah you have found the dogs doo dahs!
I went with the Brembo Serie Oro and this combined with Brembo pads has given me the best results so far.
Wish I had found one that cheap!

I went with the Brembo Serie Oro and this combined with Brembo pads has given me the best results so far.

Bem, so do you have the F650GS twin as well & did you have any issues & was it the Brembo Serie Oro Brake Disc 78B40896 you fitted.

Bem, so do you have the F650GS twin as well & did you have any issues & was it the Brembo Serie Oro Brake Disc 78B40896 you fitted.

Yes I do have a 658 and bought my Brembo from the UK
Would have to dig out the paperwork to confirm where from, but it was top dollar and going to the floating disc does give more (less??) stopping power. Of course nothing for nothing, the higher iron content means it goes a bit brown in parts but hey ho.
Brian

The MT section where I work use an aluminium based grease on the pins to stop them seizing up and wash and change the grease every 12 months. This stops the pins seizing up. Motoworks now have pistons to go with the seals.

I changed pads on my F700GS fronts last weekend. Despite the bike being kept fairly clean and the calipers looking good, the pad retention pins were very hard to remove. Took a lot of twisting and fiddling to get them out.

The pistons, however, looked absolutely fine and I could get them back in with a firm push with my fingers.

I needed the bike the following day so couldn't wait for new pins. So I cleaned them off with very gentle grinder use and a bit of sandpaper. Bit of Copperease and the slid back in fine.

Fitted the stainless steel ones on Monday, took the caliper off & gave it a good old scrub in the sink. The old pistons were a bit pitted, but the new ones are just the job!

All back together & the bike stops when I want it to, so I'm a happy chappy!!

D

Back
Top Bottom