K 1600 GT / GTL - Check behind the lower V-shaped radiator louvres

Wapping

Reaction score
My 1600 has been suffering some overheating problems.

The cause seems to lie in the steady build up of crud BEHIND the black V-shaped louvers in the lower belly pan area of the front of the bike.

The louvers of the V are angled downwards, probably to stop stones flicking up and dropping in from above. That would make sense and explain why the louvers are angled down, stones will hit them and bounce off.

One posible theory is that, as the front tyre rotates, it is pushing / forcing road water and muck UP (at high speed) past the angled down louvers. The water can drain out or evaporate off but the muck has nowhere to go and builds up.

You can't see through the louvers, so the build-up is invisible, eventaully enough to reduce the airflow to the lower portion of the radiator. The only solution at the moment is to clear the muck out on a regular basis, a pain as it requires removal of the whole of the lower fairings. The answer might be to cut a hole (if possible) to allow the muck to fall / vibrate its way out somehow :nenau .....but that might only allow more muck in?

How old is the bike in question? I can't imagine it being old enough to justify the type of crud build up you have described. Sounds like a poor design, but I can't see Bmw being guilty of that :augie.

There is an element of irony in this problem, as there is another thread discussing the lack of radiator protection on the new GS wc where somebody has experienced damage to their radiator as a result (no overheating problems though, well atleast up until the stage where the rad was damaged:D)

My 1600 has been suffering some overheating problems.

The cause seems to lie in the steady build up of crud BEHIND the black V-shaped louvers in the lower belly pan area of the front of the bike.

The louvers of the V are angled downwards, probably to stop stones flicking up and dropping in from above. That would make sense and explain why the louvers are angled down, stones will hit them and bounce off.

One posible theory is that, as the front tyre rotates, it is pushing / forcing road water and muck UP (at high speed) past the angled down louvers. The water can drain out or evaporate off but the muck has nowhere to go and builds up.

You can't see through the louvers, so the build-up is invisible, eventaully enough to reduce the airflow to the lower portion of the radiator. The only solution at the moment is to clear the muck out on a regular basis, a pain as it requires removal of the whole of the lower fairings. The answer might be to cut a hole (if possible) to allow the muck to fall / vibrate its way out somehow :nenau .....but that might only allow more muck in?

Don't ride it in the wet, not fit for purpose:blast

I knew these watercooled bikes, would never catch on:augie

:JB

How old is the bike in question? I can't imagine it being old enough to justify the type of crud build up you have described. Sounds like a poor design, but I can't see Bmw being guilty of that :augie.

It first manifested itself last August, a year old and at about 20,000 miles.

It overheated twice in the Alps and was recovered on the second occaision to a BMW dealer in Austria, who stripped the front off the bike. They commented on the muck but we thought little of it. Checked the water pump, replaced all the fluid, checked that the radiator cap was of the new specification (there was a small recall for some bikes to replace a faulty batch, as there was on the 800R) and that there were no pressure leaks.

26,000 miles in (so a further 6,000 or so) and it overheated again.

The only common feature between the two incidents is the steady build-up of crud; crud that is invisible from the outside and sufficient this time to significantly corrode the radiator which will be replaced under warranty. The corrosion can probably be explained away by the grot being contaminated by salt.

The fairing lowers can be removed without disturbing the radiator louvers, so there is very little reason to ever look behind... but look behind I will have to from now on.

A bad design? Well, maybe so. But things like this only become clear when bikes are used, many aren't. If you can keep forcing enough air through the rest of the radiator all is well.... and forcing air in is not a problem with 160 bhp.... but bring in some heavy traffic and BINGO, up the temperature goes.

I have also now got through a set of front wheel bearings and the ball joint is worn, explain the ‘clunk’ that I sometimes experienced just of late. It too will be replaced under warranty. I really must stop riding the thing.... The main beam switch was replaced (another problem in common with the 800R)..... Oh, and it has always pulled to the left, too. Great bike, even so.

That is the problem, you are riding it too much. Most dealers expect an annual mileage of 2-3000 miles.:thumb2

Pleased you got to the bottom of the problem in the end. Not a air block in the system as I suggested in France.

Kev :thumby:

The radiator got blocked up and it overheated.

Well who would've thought it huh? :blast

:rolleyes:

That'll teach you.... You should've chosen the "radiator crud" warning light when you were ticking the option boxes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 18.52.38.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 18.52.38.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 770
It first manifested itself last August, a year old and at about 20,000 miles.

It overheated twice in the Alps and was recovered on the second occaision to a BMW dealer in Austria, who stripped the front off the bike. They commented on the muck but we thought little of it. Checked the water pump, replaced all the fluid, checked that the radiator cap was of the new specification (there was a small recall for some bikes to replace a faulty batch, as there was on the 800R) and that there were no pressure leaks.

26,000 miles in (so a further 6,000 or so) and it overheated again.

The only common feature between the two incidents is the steady build-up of crud; crud that is invisible from the outside and sufficient this time to significantly corrode the radiator which will be replaced under warranty. The corrosion can probably be explained away by the grot being contaminated by salt.

The fairing lowers can be removed without disturbing the radiator louvers, so there is very little reason to ever look behind... but look behind I will have to from now on.

A bad design? Well, maybe so. But things like this only become clear when bikes are used, many aren't. If you can keep forcing enough air through the rest of the radiator all is well.... and forcing air in is not a problem with 160 bhp.... but bring in some heavy traffic and BINGO, up the temperature goes.

I have also now got through a set of front wheel bearings and the ball joint is worn, explain the ‘clunk’ that I sometimes experienced just of late. It too will be replaced under warranty. I really must stop riding the thing.... The main beam switch was replaced (another problem in common with the 800R)..... Oh, and it has always pulled to the left, too. Great bike, even so.

mine has just been in for its first service, got it back today,when it went in i told the service manager of a sort of pulsing on the overrun on a closed throttle,it did it at certain speeds though and not all the time, when it turned out he ordered me a new throttle because the potentiometer was faulty and they tried to recalibrate it but to no avail, wonderful machine though and funnily enough mines pulls a little to the left as well.. smiles per mile though...:beerjug:

See page 143 of the little paper book they gave you?

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/RiderManuals2012/K1600GT.pdf (or online here).

'Clean the f.ing radiator or it will overheat :)'

I can assure you that the radiator was cleaned, entirely as recommended in the extensive book, taking care not to bend the delicate fins. I took care (naturally enough) not to use my jet wash on full power as that would just be silly, so I used it on a rather pleasing low pressure, as if watering vegetables.

What the same the same book does not tell you is to remove both the lower side fairings, the quite large plastic radiator grill (that resembles a back protector) and then dismantle the lower V shaped louvre grill.

In fact, and you'll have doubtless noticed that the same (well thumbed) Rider's Manual, is completely silent on how to remove the lower fairings at all, a task that BMW in their infinite wisdom obviously do not anticipate an owner needing to undertake, a simple washing of the upper part of the radiator (that open directly to the elements, bugs, flies and detritus of life) being apparently sufficient to keep the radiator radiating. A removal task that I will no doubt have to now perform on a regular basis if the lower completely obscured part of the radiator is to remain anything like clear. Hey-ho, such is life, a small burden perhaps for riding the damned thing extensively.

Obviously, the good folk at BMW had not considered the possibility of grot being washed UP from the road, past the obscuring lower engine louvre V shaped screen, where it lingers to accumulate unseen and untouched by the gentle watering hose.

Nor did they probably anticipate how the washing - with a gentle hose - the upper (exposed) part of the very large radiator would further exacerbate the problem by washing the bugs, flies and detritus of life further down to add to the unseen accumulation lower down, from where it cannot escape..

No doubt edition two of the Rider's Manual will have have an errata added to it.

So feck you and the horse you rode in on. Though thank you for your support, I'll wear it always.

Next please, nurse.

mine has just been in for its first service, got it back...wonderful machine though and funnily enough mines pulls a little to the left as well.. smiles per mile though...:beerjug:

Consider yourself lucky.

A friend has just had a new clutch fitted under warranty at 6000 miles.

Ha

So like all Barges needs the bilges cleaned out on a regular basis :augie:augie

Back
Top Bottom