GSA 30th Anniversary Accident

FECK FECK FECK

This has put the fear of God up me, I've got the same model and I'm off to southern spain on it in three weeks.
The clown I got it from sold it to me with the lower yoke bolts only nipped up, nearly killed me the other week on a fast s bend......... I need to go over the bike with a torque wrench.
I really hope your mate has a speedy recovery

From the photos I can see it has that Touratech finnimabob on there where the caliper bolts on to. In my knowledge that when something gets bolted behind the brake caliper on a BMW then the bolts need be a bit longer. You'll need at least 2-3 threads showing to be in safety as a general rule. In some applications this would not be practical so locking mechanism is advised. A bit of Locktite will help but choose the application carefully, 242 comes recommended.

Was this the case with the Touratech thingy?

oooh sorry to hear of all this...wishing a quick recovery.

I know this is kinda off topic - but if peeps are going to be checking bolts on the back of this tradegy...then I should mention...

I found one almost dropped out the other day quite by chance, actually it was totally unscrewed and was only stopped by the fuel breather pipe (rear subframe to engine). It is very well hidden and almost impossible to see - I just happened to be on my back working right under the bike...

2013-04-23+13.56.06.jpg

Was this the case with the Touratech thingy?[/QUOTE

The TT thingy is used to tidy up rear if mudguard thingy is removed. I believe TT supply replacement rear caliper bolt which is shorter than the original (it has to be as original would be too long without the mudguard thingy). It is possible that whoever fitted the TT thingy did not realise that the replacement bolt was in fact the rear caliper bolt and didn't bother to torque it up.

If this was the case and the bolt became loose and fell out, when the rear brake was applied, separately or through the linked braking system, it would cause the caliper to pivot on the front caliper bolt.

Have checked this with my same year GSA . If the caliper did indeed pivot on the front caliper bolt it would be forced against the rim exactly where the spokes pass through the rim, this would almost certainly fracture the spokes and the twisting collapsing wheel would probably shear either the front caliper bolt or the lug itself.

If the rear lug is still present with no bolt and the front lug is missing or contains the sheared of part of bolt, then this is a possible explanation.

I wish your friend a full recovery.

Jeff

The touratech aluminium guard does not use the brake caliper bolts for a fixing point it only uses the original 2 fixing points for the BMW splash guard.

following my mate last year on route to the alps i notices his back wheel on his 1150 wobbling and we was making progress, i passed and pulled him over to find all the bolts on the rear wheel loose infact there where only in by a couple of threads and he had just had it serviced the day before and a new tyre fitted by a dealer ! He was one lucky fooker that day .

I wish ya pal a speedy recovery .

Some owners (the one who fitted the TT thing) shouldn't be allowed to fit the stuff (bling) if they're not competent

If that caused it

oooh sorry to hear of all this...wishing a quick recovery.

I know this is kinda off topic - but if peeps are going to be checking bolts on the back of this tradegy...then I should mention...

I found one almost dropped out the other day quite by chance, actually it was totally unscrewed and was only stopped by the fuel breather pipe (rear subframe to engine). It is very well hidden and almost impossible to see - I just happened to be on my back working right under the bike...

2013-04-23+13.56.06.jpg

If that's the bolt I think it is, connecting the rear subframe under the gearbox then worry not, I was riding my previous 1200 for months with the bolt missing, discovered when I serviced it.

I'll pass all these latest comments onto him. He's now been collected from hospital and currently in Calais about to get the tunnel.

Just spoken to him and he agrees with Ding-Dong's comments- the guard uses the splash guard bolts

the caliper must have come loose after the bolts fell out. otherwise, if it was knocked off by the wheel breaking up, then the caliper mounts would be smashed off.

therefore, it seems reasonable to me that the caliper came off first, fell into the spokes, totalling the wheel :nenau

I'd ask if it had been serviced before and has someone had the calipers off !

Every spoke is broken at the same point so what ever fell into the wheel jammed itself at that point and if the bolts came out of the caliper first than when he applied the rear brake at any time/or friction from the moving disc than this would have spun the caliper off the disc and with the direction of the disc moving than yeah it would have thrown it into the wheel ! Is there are marks on the inside of the drive that suggest the caliper was stuck against it and the wheel !

Just catching up on this thread - please wish your friend well and thankfully he should be home now and relatively in one piece. Thank heavens he wasn't on a top speed run...

My two quid on the Curse of the Ring of Zarg isn't looking hopeful :(

Hope your mate is making a speedy recovery............!

I've just checked the rear calliper bolts on my GSA30 and they were fine but no harm in checking them now and again............I checked over a few of the other more crucial bolts on the bike aswell!:thumb

FP.

Kinnell !!!. Ive just spotted this. Hope the poor chap makes a quick and full recovery. He's a great advert for adequate health/accident insurance.

Some owners (the one who fitted the TT thing) shouldn't be allowed to fit the stuff (bling) if they're not competent

If that caused it

The TT bling has a cut-out around the caliper bolt. It has no more effect on the caliper than the dust shovel it replaces.

Hells bells, I'm going out to check my caliper is tight!
Bob

Until someone keeps "checking" the bolts until they break. If they are torque wrench checked each time, the screws will gradually tighten until the inevitable happens.

I've seen the effects in industry where pump and motor mounts fractured due to over-tightened bolts. Check tightening was removed from the maintenance routines and no more fractured bolts.

Just confirm there is nothing loose and job done.

Now we know why race bikes have lock wires on chassis fasteners.

Until someone keeps "checking" the bolts until they break. If they are torque wrench checked each time, the screws will gradually tighten until the inevitable happens.

I've seen the effects in industry where pump and motor mounts fractured due to over-tightened bolts. Check tightening was removed from the maintenance routines and no more fractured bolts.

Plus the first little "nip up" breaks the bond of the thread lock...

It's a conundrum. I'll be paint marking mine after the first caliper removal and refit, but in the interim I'm not so certain. Is this rare issue without a definitive cause in a position on the risk scale to warrant removing and replacing the caliper bolts as a precaution?

Back
Top Bottom