samsung galaxy s4

patboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, Has anyone used this phone on the motorbike yet for satnav functionality?

I had a sumo 550 and sold it. Still have my headstock lead with the sumo connector. Best to have it powered whilst riding or recharge when stopped? I have the hella socket next to the tank(left side) does that stay live when the ignition is switched off or to you have to wire straight to the battery?

thanks in advance. Patboy

i'm sure someone else is using a similar phone. so perhaps people can just give their comments on setup with pics and suggestions if they have time:D

Having used a previous phone (Windows smart phone running TomTom Navigator) for bike sat nav, though only as emergency back-up to my then Garmin StreetPilot. I would say that a dedicated navigation device is a better, though maybe more costly, option.

A phone is that first and a sat nav second. The software available isn't as capable, in your case probably CoPilot is probably the best bet. The buttons on screen will probably be too small for gloved operation even if your phone's screen will work with gloves (my S2 is sort of OK with thin summer gloves). You will need to arrange waterproofing and power. Any incoming calls will probably disrupt navigation...

It's a matter of compromises. The guy I usually tour with uses a Nokia phone as a sat nav, usually does it's own thing route-wise compared to the routes I've planned for my Garmin (he has to manually recreate them...). It insists on visiting every plotted point so if he's put one off the road, or we decide to adjust the route, it keeps turning you back until you manually cancel the missed point/s. He has to play a looped silent MP3 track on his media player to keep the Bluetooth channel open so he can hear navigation instructions etc... OK, I accept that some of these are down to his cobbled together set-up. At the end of the day I would prefer to have a system that pretty well works out of the box and doesn't add complications whilst on tour.

I can understand the intrigue of using just one device and wish you good luck if you go that route (sic) but I doubt you'll be getting the best nav experience.

I do have NavFree UK and France on my S2, for dire emergency back-up whilst on tour or occasional cage use in the UK.

Thanks for the reply, I'm waiting for a company to make the waterproof enclosure for the s4. I have installed tom tom for android and it works quite well. Just need to sort out the bike bits and bluetooth, and will give it a whirl :) As I have sold my Zumo 550, its the way to go now.

Interphone make a waterproof enclosure for the s3 and handlebar mount. Ive bought one and its a great piece of kit. It also allows a charging lead.

I presume it will fit the s4 as a mate has an s4 and it seems identical in size to the s3.

Tom

You may want to do a search on smartphone sat nav usage 'system overheating' if it is to be used for long and continued periods.

Back
Top Bottom