The HUBB UK 2014 Overlanding event

Ive just realised I only seem to have my paypal receipt, is there something we need to print out and bring with us?

Ive just realised I only seem to have my paypal receipt, is there something we need to print out and bring with us?

Morning, you are fine with that. Just rock up to registration with it and the guys there will have all your info. Keeping life simple :)

While I'm here, I thought I'd pass on the news from Danny and Fil (aka Sparkplug) about what they are up to this year at the HUBB UK. Here' goes:

ROAD KILL COCK OUT 2014
Hi folks it's that time again to come and try some great wild food and if you really want to know, find out what you ate last year?

Yet again we have sourced some new meat for you to sample with the great Fil 'Smoking' Schannini transforming it into an amazing taste phenomenon! Once again we would like you to guess the animal only this year we have saved the skull to help you identify it!!!

This year's other delicacy will be wood cock, better known to country folks as a timber dick. This is cooked intact (no gutting required!) to keep it succulent and give it a great flavour. We'll even teach you how to catch them in the wild! :thumb2

The fire this year is planned to be even better so come and have a go at making homemade bread; could be useful when you're on your travels? Of course we will have all our usual guests ....... trout ,squirrel ,venison, pigeon etc and we will always welcome any new visitors that you want to bring to sample but please remove any micro chips first as they can chip your teeth and bring you own bowels (Typo? Knowing these two, not! :augie) and spoons if you can.

Now for this year's competition we will be keeping it a secret until the last moment ( it will stop you clever people practising!). Come and sign up at the Cook Out area so you don't miss out and be in with a chance to win a free holiday to Haggs Bank Bunkhouse.

WOW we will have music both nights, and Saturday night will be very different! Come and join us for drink, some food and just a great time round the fire, it's a great meeting place to catch up. :thumby:

Remember our motto 'no pet is safe!' :blast

Danny and Fil

Attachments

• roadkill Fil and Danny and Fish.JPG
    roadkill Fil and Danny and Fish.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 235
  • P1020421 Roadkill audience psr.jpg
    P1020421 Roadkill audience psr.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 216
And you questioned our deliberate typo "bowels" "instead of bowls"

"cocks in socks" was bad enough but if I have to watch someone skin a rabbit with his gentlemans vegetables hanging out I'm going to have serious words with you Sam... :dabone:

HA! Blame the master of words (and recently deceased things with fur 'n feathers) for that one! I thought I'd let Danny get away with this one, but perhaps I shouldn't. He was referring to the Wood Cocks... wasn't he? :D

By the way, did you hear that Kev Palmer from Woodland Ways is going to be with us too. That means you guys can teach about the main course and he the veggies on the side. Now there's a plan :thumby:

Will be good to catch up with Kev. Really enjoyed his foraging walk / talk last year. He really knows his plants.

I see no reason to segregate the vegetarians / vegans from us though. Most of the interesting conversations I have are from these people because they have already to some extent questioned where our meat comes from. While we often differ on the killing of animals we often agree on quite a lot before that point. A couple of years ago I even fed a vegetarian a pigeon heart for breakfast! (I should add that it was at his request and didn't involve my van and gaffer tape...)

I know it's too much for some people, but that's sort of the point.

I won't go anywhere near a battery farmed chicken - it's just inhumane. A squirrel, or a badger however.... :augie

So you guys know a little more of what you are heading for, this is a shot of one of the camping fields. Loads of space and the main field is edged by trees with sheltered spots you can slot yourselves away into.

There are 4 camping fields so there's loads of space. The Main field, the West field in which you'll find stand for the clubs who've registered, the field for those wanting to bring their dogs with them, and the 'No talking field' - that's shush between 10pm and 8am.

Expedition vehicles are able to set up in all the fields so look out for some very trick rigs. I think my favourite are the Classic Land Rovers. You'll see what I mean. And caravans? A few people do want theirs so they get an area all of their own in the Bluebell wood. A pretty spot with hook ups for those arriving early enough to snag one.

Attachments

• Part of the Donington HUBB UK Camping site prscr.jpg
    Part of the Donington HUBB UK Camping site prscr.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 185
A shush field? Is this for bikers or girl guides? :D

Okay, so who mentioned girl guides??? :eek: Dangerous bunch! :D But seriously, it's all part of the attempt to make everyone welcome. We had people travel in from 16 different countries last year and some had really long last day rides. So, a chance to catch up on kip...

Good news. The work we've been doing to keep the costs to attend, down to the same amount for the third year running , is working.

This is mostly down to the various companies that have helped by stumping up a bit of loot to sponsor part of the Donington Park Farmhouse venue. Rev'it have just joined the list. They are looking after the Paddock area. This is where about a third of the exhibitors will be and Danny and Fil's Roadkill Cookout, live music etc.

Aiming to give the other companies their due, the sponsors are Adventure Spec, Code Audio Visual, Touratech, Continental, Cotswold and Pure Bike Tours. Many thanks to you all. :thumb2

You guys have made it possible for people to book in - early days at just £45 for the full 4 days. £65 now for anyone who books in and pays before June 12th. That's camping, access to all the presentations, demonstrations, competitions, Skills Course, Slow Bike Race, music and... Check out the HUBB UK 2014 Pages and you'll see how things are stacking up now. Just 70 days to go :D

Attachments

• 2 HUBB UK 2014 - Business Cards.jpg
    2 HUBB UK 2014 - Business Cards.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 203
One of the brilliant things about the HUBB is the number of overlanders from other countries that come. Last year - 16 countries.

Attachments

• DSC_7048 psr.jpg
    DSC_7048 psr.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 197
More good news on the HUBB UK! It’s on the Skills Course this time. Cogs Underwood and David Lobb set this up for the first time last year and I must say it went amazingly well. That’s in spite of having to move the whole thing due to the naff weather we had for the set-up days, which left their course too wet to be used! In typical HUBB UK spirit loads of people mucked into help the guys move it. Good stuff! :clap

Skills Course? Well there are plenty of courses that are aimed at people who know how to ride a bike but want to go to the next stage off road etc. This course is aimed at those who have recently passed their tests or are simply not experienced bikers. For example, those who still worry about riding across a bumpy wet camping field. I remember that – I fell off. :D

Cogs and David and their crew set up corrugations, slaloms, fake ruts and all sorts of more simple challenges in a loop in Skills Course and Slow Bike race field.

The idea being to give the less experienced motorcyclists the confidence they need to go to the next stage. If you have a go, you’ll have experienced people walking the course with you – speed isn’t the point. It’s taking it easy and learning how to deal with the different obstacles that matters. It works! A couple of the people who went on the course are actually out riding around the world now. Fun! :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

And today we’ve been informed that Gabe Bolton (Tuareg Rally rider and MD of Zen Overland), and Ollie Lloyd (Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge ride and Owl Racing contender for the Paris Dakar!) will be on hand for a few hours to help guide people around the course.

Both Gabe Bolton and Ollie Lloyd have exhibitor pitches in the Adventure Travel zones. It’s great that they are happy to be away from their stands to give a hand. Please do get to their marquees to say hello if you don’t happen to be with them on the course.

Ollie is with us all because he knows how many people in the world of overlanding love to follow the Paris Dakar, be they fans of the 4x4s or the bikes. He's coming to share the fun with us. Like it! Please do take time to see him on his stand. Need to show him support for taking his time to be with us :thumb2

Attachments

• HUBBUK2014_Flyer_900px psrr.jpg
    HUBBUK2014_Flyer_900px psrr.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 169
No one is going to mind me doing this I'm sure. I was over on the ABR forum this morning and found this posted about the HUBB UK. Very cool, says a lot, thought I'd share it

'Crikey, so much information already on this thread about the HUBB, I'm almost a little lost as to what I can add... let's see...

If you have never been to one, and you like travelling around on your bike (or other stuff for that matter) then you should book the time off and just go. For what you get it really is very good value, and the atmosphere is the sort of relaxed vibe you'll find at an ABR bash - but with so much going on you won't want to spend your 4 days riding around. So the same vibe, but a different focus.

The HUBB should come with a health warning though. While you might not want to ride out from the site during the event, you'll certainly be itching to hit the open road after you've spent time listening and talking to folks there. You'll find inspiration around every aspect of overlanding - more than you can probably cope with. All those people bustling around the fields and venues... that's not a caffine buzz... it's the HUBB buzz! Got to travel... got to travel... (well, that is how I felt a little after my first )

You'll also be able to pick up pretty much all the knowledge you'll need to set you right for a trip - whether a few nights in the near continent, or a few years in a far one! Just ask around and you will quickly find someone who has had some first hand expereince. My first horizons event I didn't really know anyone. I went on my own, opened myself up to the expereince, and met quite a few people with whom I am still in regular contact today. Oh, and I've been around a bit since then too!

I'm really pleased that I'm going to be able to get there this year - it has been a couple of years since my last and the anticipation feels like I'm going to visit family who I haven't seen for ages. I'm really looking forward to catching up with many, but also if we've not met, feel free to track me down and say hi and, of course, ply me with beer!

So to finish my two pence worth where I started (and I did manage to say something after all)... just go!'

:thumb2

How about a "No Snoring" field instead? :rolleyes:

FOR SALE

Many thanks for your reservation with us at Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel. Please find the details of your reservation below.

Arriving: Friday 20th June 2014

Departing: Sunday 22nd June 2014

No Nights: 2 nights for 2 adults

Total Cost: £160.00 including VAT

Deposit: £160.00 received with thanks

Balance Due: £0.00

unwanted as have to work due to staff holidays, £160 please

Back
Top Bottom