World beater panniers(aka Verns panniers)

Vern hello. I see many people on this thread asking the kind of questions that I would ask as well. No answers ever seem to get posted though! Do you get in touch with people direct to reply to their queries? The reason I ask is that I am after a set of those fine looking panniers which you produce. I have a 1997 1100GS and would like to know if you are in a position to make me a set and if so, how much would they cost.

Thanks

Ok,here we go then.The last batch were £600 a set,and that is everything except a smaller set of indicators(but I'm working on that now!)I am trying to keep it to the £600 price,but it is going to be a close call.From talking to people,it seems that the price of everything has gone up since I made the last batch,and I didn't make a penny out of them(but I have a really nice press tool I had to have made just for the lids££££s)If there is a price increase,it will be a maximum of £50.
I am just starting to make a batch of 15 sets of panniers,and hope I can sell them all,as that is the only way they can come in at that price.I am funding this out of my own pocket,and calling in an awful lot of favours from people and companys that I have worked with on this project,and asked them to keep their costs as low as possible,without sacrificing quality.
I am also going to make a set for the R100GS in this batch as well,so let me know if there is any interest for them,otherwise the first 100GS set will cost an absolute fortune to make.

Re: How much in black?

Speggo said:
Vern,

Interested in a set of black ones for ADV. I currently have the standard exhaust fitted. I know Fanum had a lot of trouble with heat from the exhaust, so do I need to change the height or type of can?

Steve....In fairness, my heat problems were down to me running a Remus and the end of it pointing at the back of the pannier cut-out rather than out into the fresh air.

I've put on a Wudo lowering kit now, and Vern's making me a set of silver ones now- so as you can see, I'm still impresed enough with his kit to go for a brand new set ;)

I do like Yosi's idea though Vern ....maybe you should offer that as a 50 quid upgrade option?

Ps gimme a shout when ya ready mate ;)

Bill

Simon...

Have toured with a set of Vern's panniers and a pillion. Not only is there no problem with the panniers getting in the way, the extra storage is a godsend! Even with a narrow set (mine), there's much more space than the BMVV plastic jobbies. That means more kit for the other half to take and a MUCH happier person on the back.
I've had to make an exhaust extension tube though, as I can't keep buying new rear indicators every time they melt! Can't speak highly enough of these boxes - beautiful welding, excellent anodising, high quality catches, good mounting hardware.
Oh yes, and if you manage to drop the bike, they make a very useful sidestand!

Exhaust

Paulf...

I've got a narrow set of Vern's too, and I agree... they're fantastic! Hold loads, and yet are narrow on the bike. Fantastic kit.

What exhaust have you got on? I did have some trouble with my Remus heating the pannier up a bit, but it was mainly due to the Y piece making the can point at the pannier, rather than straight out through the rear frame..

It's a bit of a pain, but I had my Y piece cut and rewelded to the correct bend, and now it's perfect... just like the panniers!!!

There's a thread on 'GSMODS' headed 'Remus and GSA Pannier brackets'

If you're still with standard BMW Cast iron can, then because it sort of points upwards, an extension tube is probably the best bet.

Will

I'm having a break from panniers at the moment to get another project off the ground but you'll be sure to hear when I start again:beerjug:

Lemme know if you start making them again too please! :bow
I may need some next year. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom