Why buy a bike specific sat nav?

LHutchin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do you want to use a Bluetooth headset to hear voice directions for your route?

Hi,

Am I being blonde here but can anyone explain why I should buy a bike specific sat nav please?

I have a tomtom one at the moment but they want £50 to upgrade the maps.

I was looking at this at £80 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_911267_langId_-1_categoryId_247401

It's a lot cheaper than a 660 or 350LM.

Are there any good reasons why I should spend the extra?

Thanks

There is no need to get drawn into the cost of bike specific sat nav's, yes they are waterproof and you can use them with a gloved hand but why would you fuck about with your sat nav whilst your bike's moving, that's as bad as using your mobile in a car!!
I use a standard TomTom Go on my bike and have done for the last 2 years, I use it inside a Givi sat nav holder that comes with a waterproof cover, and which will also hold my smartphone as a back up - using Google Maps Navigator.

Bike specific sat navs are supposed to be weather proof and are built to be more resistant to vibration ( or wobbly proof as we technical bods call it :nenau)

It depends on how much you use the thing and how far you travel. my Zumo 660 is my best friend. its on its 3rd bike + countless car\motorhome trips now so cheap as chips. I could still get €200 if i sold it.

I have used car sat navs on the bike with no issue. No world touring just UK and Ireland runs. No issues. Pick your sat nav carefully though. £80 will not allow you to do much other than get from A - C via B.

Yes you do have to have a bike specific GPS.

It has to have MP3, bluetooth, it has to play video and it has to have as many other farkles on it as possible.

It has to be one that has already had a lockable, expensive billet aluminium GPS mount for it in the Touratech catalogue.

You won't EVER need any of these things, above the basic routing from A to B of course.

BUT....if you don't have all of the above, you will be looked down on by all the wankers here who sadly, have to self-justify their own purchase of a similar unit.

A lot of them (not all, being fair) are the ones who have plastered their expensive Tesco panniers in stickers that they have ordered from EBay, have the most expensive jackets and trousers and a peaked MX style helmet.

The only place they need these things is IN THEIR HEADS.......most of them barely get out of Britain, let alone Europe.

These people are really easy to spot....if you look at their bikes, they usually have things like extended mudguards (carbon fibre of course) but also have knobbly tyres (WTF :nenau) or other pairs of items that utterly contradict eachother.

Nearly all of it is utter bullshit....they just like expensive farkles (hey, and why not, man toys are good :thumb2) and will try and convince you to get the same, so they are happier with their choices and can pretend that they are in some adventurer's club rather than just having rather smaller reproductive organs than normal.

If it makes you happy and you want to, go out and buy one of these uberGPSs........but no, you do not need one, and a 15 quid second or third hand Nuvo from Ebay will do a bloody good job......you can stick it in a 5p ziplock bag if you can't position it out of the rain, but IME you don't have to.

Aluminium mounts? bollox.....two bits of velcro pad, 30p (it's a quid a metre in a haberdashery)

Power on the bike......1.49 free shipping from Ebay, plus a quid for an in-line fuse.

You can spot the most insecure wankers by the way...they'll be the ones who most vociferously try and defend their buying of the uberGPS....just watch, some will be along here soon :augie

pennytech2-L.jpg

Total cost <20 quid.....has lasted 2 years so far, 2 winters (all year around riding) and rain, snow, sleet, fog, heat and bird shit.

:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom