Show us your Crosstourer

I'm due to go and sign on the dotted line for a Crosstourer Highlander tomorrow. I'm looking at a black version, BUT I have been told by someone on the Crosstourer forum to make absolutely sure you can pick the bike up on your own before you even think of getting one.

He says he bought one and theres no way in hell he could ever pick it up on his own, so wonder what you would do on a road in the middle of nowhere with no passing traffic, apart from phone the breakdown services and explain your problem, but whether they would come out to help you is a different matter as its not strictly a breakdown. Any of you new CrossTourer owners wanna show us how big n strong you are by posting a Youtube clip and linking it to here??? . I'm told there are a variety of ways to pick up a dropped bike, but so far never had to, touch wood.

Oh yeah and whats the consensus of opinion on fuel consumption.???? I know wideparting says 40-ish, just wondered if anyone else was getting anything different.......

Nice one Mark.:thumb Lets have some details of the bike. Did they take the CB in part ex?

Well, it seems like...

Hiya Nutty, long time no speak. i need to know whether i can lift the bloody thing myself if i drop it before i buy one.

Got offered a really good deal against my CBF, to the extent that they are prepared to pay off the finance, all bar about a hundred quid, which I will have to pay myself, which I'm obviously not too displeased about.

If I cant pick it up myself I'm going to look at an S10, even though I know they are a similar weight. i think they have a buyer for the CBF lined up already, thus the hurry to take the bike off me and get me on a courtesy bike (another vfr1200x) until the 2 or 3 weeks it takes for my brand new bike to arrive.

Oh yeah, by the way, already checked thier excess and should the worst happen I will have no dramas stumping up the excess. so fookin there ye of little brains and a similar amount of faith........ Not wishing to tempt fate, but only one serious NON FAULT(with no FAULT) bike accident in all the years I have been riding is actually not too bad...

Early start in the morning, hope it all turns out for the best, wish me luck......:thumb2:bounce1

Whether or not I can pick up a fallen bike has had no bearing on my bike choice to date

Very strange reasoning Mark, but there you go, it came from your prose - so we'll say no more

I think the S10 is a similar weight

If you haven't got the strength stick to a CB500X :)

Hiya Nutty, long time no speak. i need to know whether i can lift the bloody thing myself if i drop it before i buy one.

Got offered a really good deal against my CBF, to the extent that they are prepared to pay off the finance, all bar about a hundred quid, which I will have to pay myself, which I'm obviously not too displeased about.

If I cant pick it up myself I'm going to look at an S10, even though I know they are a similar weight. i think they have a buyer for the CBF lined up already, thus the hurry to take the bike off me and get me on a courtesy bike (another vfr1200x) until the 2 or 3 weeks it takes for my brand new bike to arrive.

Oh yeah, by the way, already checked thier excess and should the worst happen I will have no dramas stumping up the excess. so fookin there ye of little brains and a similar amount of faith........ Not wishing to tempt fate, but only one serious NON FAULT(with no FAULT) bike accident in all the years I have been riding is actually not too bad...

Early start in the morning, hope it all turns out for the best, wish me luck......:thumb2:bounce1

Excellent, keep me posted.:thumb

Whether or not I can pick up a fallen bike has had no bearing on my bike choice to date

Very strange reasoning Mark, but there you go, it came from your prose - so we'll say no more

I think the S10 is a similar weight

If you haven't got the strength stick to a CB500X :)
It's quite simple really. i often ride to and from work at some seriously unsociable hours, and if I ever did drop the bike, the chances of being passed by another car/someone able to help me pick it back up, are not so remote that I would be stuck on my own for hours, after all it's the south east not Siberia, but i would just feel happier knowing i could do it on my own. call me Mr Independant if you like. in fact , call me anything you like as long as it's in time for breakfast....:blast

I part-ex'd an S10 for my Highlander and I wouldn't be too keen on picking up either in the event of a fall but it sure would not have stopped me buying the Highlander, best bike based decision I've ever made......:thumb

Ahem! After having slid off bike in rural North Wales (road cover in liquid S*it) and a 1 in 3 rise I managed to pick bike up no problem, turn handlebars away from road. i.e if on left side turn right until no more play. Turn around so lifting with leg muscles and squat, with back to bike hold nearest handlebar and somewhere under seat area, bend knees and lift, easy peasy, only down side is lack of pannier protection or footrest. Panniers £540 EACH from H, use filler and Aluminium wheel paint, great match and footrest Crosstourer (£90) Honda 600 £12, SAME part nuff said.

As a comparison and no slur to the tossers, a GS is like a ural tractor a Crosstourer Rolls Royce! Not biased as I am not paid by motorcycle press( but have worked for them in past) If you want a reliable, go almost anywhere bike it beats the GS hands down, the difference being. 1. I am not being sponsored by BMW to ride "around the World" (cough) or the fact my motorcycle press relies on BMW support to publish. and 2. Its far better built!

Now sit in trench and wait for stories of how their BMWS are sooooo reliable, hands on heart they ain't but having spent x thousands of pounds on it you look a right tit saying what was wrong with it. If more BMW owners ADMITTED what went wrong then we would have a truer picture, not anti BMW by any means as have had 30 years of great bikes but the last two I have owned have been complete shockers for reliability and build quality compared to the Honda.

Ahem! After having slid off bike in rural North Wales (road cover in liquid S*it) and a 1 in 3 rise I managed to pick bike up no problem, turn handlebars away from road. i.e if on left side turn right until no more play. Turn around so lifting with leg muscles and squat, with back to bike hold nearest handlebar and somewhere under seat area, bend knees and lift, easy peasy, only down side is lack of pannier protection or footrest. Panniers £540 EACH from H, use filler and Aluminium wheel paint, great match and footrest Crosstourer (£90) Honda 600 £12, SAME part nuff said.

As a comparison and no slur to the tossers, a GS is like a ural tractor a Crosstourer Rolls Royce! Not biased as I am not paid by motorcycle press( but have worked for them in past) If you want a reliable, go almost anywhere bike it beats the GS hands down, the difference being. 1. I am not being sponsored by BMW to ride "around the World" (cough) or the fact my motorcycle press relies on BMW support to publish. and 2. Its far better built!

Now sit in trench and wait for stories of how their BMWS are sooooo reliable, hands on heart they ain't but having spent x thousands of pounds on it you look a right tit saying what was wrong with it. If more BMW owners ADMITTED what went wrong then we would have a truer picture, not anti BMW by any means as have had 30 years of great bikes but the last two I have owned have been complete shockers for reliability and build quality compared to the Honda.

Bloodletter, thanks for your contribution, am really glad I asked the question now.

Your advice ref picking the bike up is SORT OF understood. I'm assuming you means to stand with your back to the bike, one hand on handlebars, other on the hand grip conveniently provided by Honda to the rear of the bike(I think its the point where the luggage would normally sit, but I might be wrong) try and push towards the bike and upwards at the same time and then slowly walk it up. Today I tried almost the same technique on a very kindly donated loan bike, but I was facing the bike when i lifted, with both hands on the handlebars.. You should have seen the salesmans face when I told him what I wanted to do to his showroom fressh ZERO miles bike,but he obliged and stuffed lots of cardboard and packing materials under the bike before I attempted to lift it solo.

By the way I'm shocked about the price difference you mentioned with regards the footrest etc. I wonder what other parts are the same as other Hondas in the range........ Right thats that sorted. NUTTY...... Yes all went well and made a a trip to the dealers to pay him a deposit on the bike, unfortunately a malfunctioning card reader stopped play. Going to go back on Monday and try again. They did ask me if I just wanted to take thier bank details and do a transfer, but I decided against it. I then tried to insure it and im surprised how(I'm with Ebike.....!!!) a brand new bike can be cheaper to insure than my current 09 plate CBF??? I also confirmed that my bike will definitely be BLACK, as thats currently the only colour that dealership can get hold of.. I genuinely cant wait. I've NEVER had a brand new bike with 0 miles on it before, the nearest I got was a 1200GS from Bahnstormers with 41 miles on it.

Do new bikes still have to be run in, or is that all old hat and done at the factory now. That may seem like a stupid question, but with the advances in technology it really wouldnt surprise me......

Right, I'm outta here, gonna go and remove the twatnav and power socket(s) from my CBF, then find out where the battery is on a Crosstourer, in preparation for reinstallation of my twat nav........:bounce1:bounce1:thumb2

Go for it Mark, stand out from the crowd.............:thumb2

Curiously I think this thread has now got more posts than the total post's on the Crosstourer forum, keep it up guy's........:D

Bloodletter, thanks for your contribution, am really glad I asked the question now.

Your advice ref picking the bike up is SORT OF understood. I'm assuming you means to stand with your back to the bike, one hand on handlebars, other on the hand grip conveniently provided by Honda to the rear of the bike(I think its the point where the luggage would normally sit, but I might be wrong) try and push towards the bike and upwards at the same time and then slowly walk it up. Today I tried almost the same technique on a very kindly donated loan bike, but I was facing the bike when i lifted, with both hands on the handlebars.. You should have seen the salesmans face when I told him what I wanted to do to his showroom fressh ZERO miles bike,but he obliged and stuffed lots of cardboard and packing materials under the bike before I attempted to lift it solo.

By the way I'm shocked about the price difference you mentioned with regards the footrest etc. I wonder what other parts are the same as other Hondas in the range........ Right thats that sorted. NUTTY...... Yes all went well and made a a trip to the dealers to pay him a deposit on the bike, unfortunately a malfunctioning card reader stopped play. Going to go back on Monday and try again. They did ask me if I just wanted to take thier bank details and do a transfer, but I decided against it. I then tried to insure it and im surprised how(I'm with Ebike.....!!!) a brand new bike can be cheaper to insure than my current 09 plate CBF??? I also confirmed that my bike will definitely be BLACK, as thats currently the only colour that dealership can get hold of.. I genuinely cant wait. I've NEVER had a brand new bike with 0 miles on it before, the nearest I got was a 1200GS from Bahnstormers with 41 miles on it.

Do new bikes still have to be run in, or is that all old hat and done at the factory now. That may seem like a stupid question, but with the advances in technology it really wouldnt surprise me......

Right, I'm outta here, gonna go and remove the twatnav and power socket(s) from my CBF, then find out where the battery is on a Crosstourer, in preparation for reinstallation of my twat nav........:bounce1:bounce1:thumb2

Nice one Mark, congrats.:thumb Let me know once it arrives, and we'll meet up for a ride.:beerjug:

Your advice ref picking the bike up is SORT OF understood.

Here's a "how-to" from Amurrica - the lady is a bit of a celeb on the touring scene for her demos on how to pick up a bike. She's 5' 3", weighs 118 pounds and rides an 1150GS.

Crosstourer definitely on my list for next bike, next year. Not sure about DCT though....

Cheers,

A

A man of many contradictions.

Right then. Jobs a goodun.

Paid the dealer some money, bike ordered, BUT he can get a white one quicker than a black one, so WHITE it is. Should arrive 17th /19th of this month (JUST IN TIME FOR THE SNOW:D, knowing my fkin luck)although the promised loan bike which was going to be another Crosstourer has now turned into (say it quickly and it wont seem so bad) a Honda XR125 but hey that's cool by me.

I was going to say if anyone wants to meet up and say hello then please do, but XR125 maxes out at about 65 so if anyone did wanna say hello, they would have no problems getting away from me, which is NO BAD THING.......:augie

Mark.

Right then. Jobs a goodun.

Paid the dealer some money, bike ordered, BUT he can get a white one quicker than a black one, so WHITE it is. Should arrive 17th /19th of this month (JUST IN TIME FOR THE SNOW:D, knowing my fkin luck)although the promised loan bike which was going to be another Crosstourer has now turned into (say it quickly and it wont seem so bad) a Honda XR125 but hey that's cool by me.

I was going to say if anyone wants to meet up and say hello then please do, but XR125 maxes out at about 65 so if anyone did wanna say hello, they would have no problems getting away from me, which is NO BAD THING.......:augie

Mark.

You should have held out for a black one.:rob They are faster.:D

ooh decision decisions

Bloody hell, I just cant stay away can I........

Err right,BBB, I did contact Dobles and they did a bloody good deal, but got offered a better deal a lot nearer, though to be honest there wasnt much price difference in it. Clincher was they will be loaning me a bike till mine is ready, PLUS dobles is a fair way further for me, though I suspect if I had asked Dobles for a loan bike till mine is ready they probably would have said yes (unless one of you buggers tipped them off,hahahaha:D).

Its a bit late at night to be making snap decisons, but will be at Loomies in Alton if anyone fancies saying hello tomorrow between 11 and 12 just for a ham n cheese toastie or 3 and a few coffees, turn up and I might even buy you one..........

Fkin ell such generosity.......PM me for a phone number if you're coming.

Should be off to bed now. I'm so excited, feels llike I'm 12 again nervously waiting for time to pass, and, and...... and....... err you know the rest...:D:D:D Why does time pass slowly when you want it to fly by and fly by when you want to savour the moment (err whatever moment it is...)

Right then fk it sleep wont work I'll go back to reading the forums, that should do it:augie

Mark.

ooh decision decisions

Bloody hell, I just cant stay away can I........

Err right,BBB, I did contact Dobles and they did a bloody good deal, but got offered a better deal a lot nearer, though to be honest there wasnt much price difference in it. Clincher was they will be loaning me a bike till mine is ready, PLUS dobles is a fair way further for me, though I suspect if I had asked Dobles for a loan bike till mine is ready they probably would have said yes (unless one of you buggers tipped them off,hahahaha:D).

Its a bit late at night to be making snap decisons, but will be at Loomies in Alton if anyone fancies saying hello tomorrow between 11 and 12 just for a ham n cheese toastie or 3 and a few coffees, turn up and I might even buy you one..........

Fkin ell such generosity.......PM me for a phone number if you're coming.

Should be off to bed now. I'm so excited, feels llike I'm 12 again nervously waiting for time to pass, and, and...... and....... err you know the rest...:D:D:D Why does time pass slowly when you want it to fly by and fly by when you want to savour the moment (err whatever moment it is...)

Right then fk it sleep wont work I'll go back to reading the forums, that should do it:augie

Mark.

Getting ready for winter

With the first year/8000 mile service next week (both coinciding !) I've also been preparing for some winter riding (bad weather is gonna be on the F800GS though) so will be dosing the bike in ACF50 this weekend and during the Service will be getting a pair of CREE LED Aux Lights fitted. I actually fitted the HID last weekend but to be honest, although it is brighter, all it does is emphasise the beam pattern on the dipped beam, which shows it in 2 distinct areas (long and shot reach) with a dim patch in between so not impressed with that. So getting the LED's to fill the gap because main beam is fine.

This was taken at the weekend after a few hours cleaning the little beauties !!

3%20bikes%20a.jpg

3%20bikes%20b.jpg

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom